Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2021, 05:47 PM - 7 Likes   #1
Closed Account

We have been defined!

From the Urban Dictionary, we have been defined!

Pentaxian
A person or photographer who uses a Pentax camera.
I'M A PENTAXIAN. A LOYALIST. A DIEHARD. I ONCE CARRIED A K1000 AROUND WITH ME EVERYWHERE, ONLY RELUCTANTLY SETTING IT DOWN TO TAKE THE OCCASIONAL SHOWER. I TELL MY KIDS BEDTIME STORIES ABOUT THOSE HEADY DAYS WHEN THE CAMERA KNOWN SIMPLY AS "THE PENTAX" WAS THE BEST-SELLING SLR MADE. I DON'T SPEND COUNTLESS HOURS PIXEL PEEPING. I JUST TAKE PICTURES. AND WHILE I MAY BE TEMPTED, ON OCCASION, TO TURN TO A STRANGER ON AN ELE- VATOR AND SAY, "THE BEST AUTO-FOCUS SLR LENS EVER MADE IS THE PENTAX 31MM F/1.8," I'D REALLY RATHER BE USING MY EQUIPMENT THAN TALKING ABOUT IT. PENTAX UNDERSTANDS THAT CAMERAS DON'T TAKE PICTURES, PHOTOG- RAPHERS DO. THEIR NEW DIGITAL SLR'S ARE THE RESULT OF LISTENING TO PENTAXIANS AND DELIVERING TOOLS FOR TRUE PHOTOGRAPHY LOVERS. THESE CAMERAS ARE ALREADY CREATING MANY MORE LOYALISTS. SO THE QUESTION IS: CAN THESE NEWCOMERS COUNT THEMSELVES AMONG THE DIEHARDS? HEY, WE'RE PENTAXIANS, NOT PHOTOGRAPHY SNOBS. WELCOME TO OUR CLUB.
by LeDave August 14, 2009

Source; Urban Dictionary: Pentaxian

This has made me curious about the Pentax 31mm f/1.8 lens. For it to be in the definition of what/who we are, it must be a good lens!

09-30-2021, 06:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
This has made me curious about the Pentax 31mm f/1.8 lens. For it to be in the definition of what/who we are, it must be a good lens!
You must be relatively new to Pentax 😀 the FA 31 Ltd is legendary (as is the 77).

Nice entry! Pretty well defined!
09-30-2021, 06:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
You must be relatively new to Pentax 😀 the FA 31 Ltd is legendary ...
... and recently updated to HD.
09-30-2021, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #4
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
You must be relatively new to Pentax 😀 the FA 31 Ltd is legendary (as is the 77).

Nice entry! Pretty well defined!

Well, I've been using Pentax over a decade; however, when it comes to my knowledge of lens then I'm definitely a beginner. My love of lens is limited to Pentax manual lens, with 2 auto focus lens in my collection. I only have 4 lens. The kit lens (18-55mm), newly purchased 55-300mm lens, and 2 macro lens (M-100mm macro f4 & M-50mm macro f4).

09-30-2021, 06:35 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . This has made me curious about the Pentax 31mm f/1.8 lens. For it to be in the definition of what/who we are, it must be a good lens!
shirley, you geste

about your lack of knowledge about the third Pentax limited lens to be produced

but if you don't know:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 Limited (APS-C)
Introduction

The SMC FA 31mm f1.8 AL Limited stems, as the FA indicates from the previous 35mm film camera age and was introduced in 2001. It is the widest of the FA limited series and makes for a very nice "normal" lenses on digital APS-C format cameras, providing the best brightness you can get at this focal length with a 1.8 minimum aperture (for Pentax lenses), it also makes a very good night and low light lenses. At a relatively high price for Pentax lenses and despite its good age of now 10 years, we will see throughout this article why it is still praised today by Pentax users.. . .

Read more at: Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-01-2021 at 04:08 AM.
09-30-2021, 07:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like the person who posted that definition was/is a member here, as I recall.

I believe he left Pentax for Sony.
09-30-2021, 07:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Well, I've been using Pentax over a decade; however, when it comes to my knowledge of lens then I'm definitely a beginner. My love of lens is limited to Pentax manual lens, with 2 auto focus lens in my collection. I only have 4 lens. The kit lens (18-55mm), newly purchased 55-300mm lens, and 2 macro lens (M-100mm macro f4 & M-50mm macro f4).
I was messing with you. You've been using Pentax quite a bit longer than me.

Back when I bought my first Pentax in 2013 I immediately joined this forum, and the FA 31 was widely praised. You don't hear about it quite as much today as you did then. I think it was considered quite magical as an APS-C normal lens, maybe after the K-1 came out and it's a moderate wide, it's not quite the Holy Grail it used to be, for some reason.

09-30-2021, 08:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Looks like the person who posted that definition was/is a member here, as I recall.

I think Chris Rankin still has a K-1 for fun, but he shoots Fuji APS-C and Sony Full Frame for money.
09-30-2021, 09:11 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven’t spent enough time with the fa 31 on full frame to say definitively that I prefer it there to apsc, but I think that’s true. On apsc it still shines, but on full frame there’s a little more magic. On apsc my fa 35 is preferred due to size, and it’s no slouch either.
10-01-2021, 12:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I only believe this if it is in a) Oxford Dictionary; b) Cambridge Dictionary; c) Webster Dictionary. Pentaxian should not be in an Urban Dictionary. There is nothing Urban about Pentax. Whenever I think of Pentax I imagine a lot grey haired, sometimes even grey-bearded, people that still run around with manual lenses and film camera's instead of modern digital optimized autofocus lenses with modern digital camera's . Not people you would consider being urban. 'mmmmm, I am grey haired.
10-01-2021, 01:21 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I only believe this if it is in a) Oxford Dictionary; b) Cambridge Dictionary; c) Webster Dictionary. Pentaxian should not be in an Urban Dictionary. There is nothing Urban about Pentax. Whenever I think of Pentax I imagine a lot grey haired, sometimes even grey-bearded, people that still run around with manual lenses and film camera's instead of modern digital optimized autofocus lenses with modern digital camera's . Not people you would consider being urban. 'mmmmm, I am grey haired.
Define "urban".
10-01-2021, 03:09 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot mostly Urban (street, architecture) with my KP but then I am also old and grey haired
10-01-2021, 03:14 AM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm 52, still have more dark hair than grey (though the grey is gaining ground), clean-shaven, and spent most of my adult life (except for the last seven years) working and playing in the City of London and its environs. I didn't get into photography properly until 11 or 12 years ago, and started shooting Pentax in my early 40s when my hair was considerably darker. Most of the lenses I use with my Pentax cameras are modern auto-focus models. I do own a lot of manual focus lenses - mostly Soviet, which I collect - but shoot those primarily on Sony E-mount.

We're just a varied bunch of guys and gals of all ages who choose to shoot Pentax equipment. Maybe we're a little more enthusiastic about our gear than some, but I suspect not... Folks like us shoot all the other brands too...
10-01-2021, 03:39 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

That's ironic... He gave in to pixel pipping after all....
10-01-2021, 04:03 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Other definition. Pentaxian: someone who's been badly infected by Pentax GAS virus and haven't found a cure for it yet. However, some Pentaxians may not be aware of being one, for instance, this concerns all the people who had a colonoscopy but forgot to check the brand name on the medical camera used by the physicians and nurses.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 10-01-2021 at 04:08 AM.