Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2021, 12:40 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Replace the K1000 with a KM and you have the original three Ks. My display shelf currently has the 1957 Asahi Pentax, the Pentax K with zebra lens and the S2 Super. Sometimes I get the K2 with a 50mm/f1.2 out as well - very pretty.

10-01-2021, 12:46 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Don't you think you can do better things with your money? If you want one, buy an LX. That is an iconic one. The k1000 is mass produced and is still copied, in some ways iconic, but in more ways not. If you lived in Europe, you could get my LX for free. And I throw in a not working Super A as well...

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 10-01-2021 at 12:49 AM. Reason: unquoting the quote
10-01-2021, 01:04 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Don't you think you can do better things with your money? If you want one, buy an LX. That is an iconic one. The k1000 is mass produced and is still copied, in some ways iconic, but in more ways not. If you lived in Europe, you could get my LX for free. And I throw in a not working Super A as well...
An LX, .... Free? ...... Can...can I have it get it on eBay, they fetch loads, way more than I could afford

---------- Post added 01-10-21 at 01:23 AM ----------

Regarding cost, a medium format that isn't working will be £200, auto 110 are cheap though. Regarding SLR, LX is the top dog but will cost you £150 at least, K1000, because of its iconic status, £80+, I picked up an MX that needs light seals for £41 but they are over £50 for well used ones, likewise all the M range, they do look cool though, Spotmatic are iconic. I bought mine for the lenses a while back, new light seals, re skinned it in blue and it looks and works beautifully, total cost, £50 but spottys can be had cheaply if its going to be on a shelf. Then there is the S1a. This is a cheap camera and totally retro and uncluttered. As for looks, the S1a has a beautiful simplicity, spotmatic likewise, but they have the bonus of saying "spotmatic" on the front, K1000, you pay a premium because its the camera everyone started on, the MX, ME etc. have a really small form factor and look so cool, and if you fancy something to shoot film, how about a cheap as chips P30
10-01-2021, 01:27 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
An LX, .... Free? ...... Can...can I have it get it on eBay, they fetch loads, way more than I could afford

Regarding cost, a medium format that isn't working will be £200, auto 110 are cheap though. Regarding SLR, LX is the top dog but will cost you £150 at least, K1000, because of its iconic status, £80+, I picked up an MX that needs light seals for £41 but they are over £50 for well used ones, likewise all the M range, they do look cool though, Spotmatic are iconic. I bought mine for the lenses a while back, new light seals, re skinned it in blue and it looks and works beautifully, total cost, £50 but spottys can be had cheaply if its going to be on a shelf. Then there is the S1a. This is a cheap camera and totally retro and uncluttered. As for looks, the S1a has a beautiful simplicity, spotmatic likewise, but they have the bonus of saying "spotmatic" on the front, K1000, you pay a premium because its the camera everyone started on, the MX, ME etc. have a really small form factor and look so cool, and if you fancy something to shoot film, how about a cheap as chips P30
You beat me to the 'Can I have it' question

If the OP wants a camera just to sit on the shelf, there are plenty of ME Supers and Spotmatics around being sold as spares on eBay and suchlike. They're pretty cameras so look good on shelves.
I, too, am partial to an MX. I have two very nice ones here that I ought to use more. They're excellent cameras to use, as well as very pretty to boot with their wide, short bodies.

10-01-2021, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
You beat me to the 'Can I have it' question

If the OP wants a camera just to sit on the shelf, there are plenty of ME Supers and Spotmatics around being sold as spares on eBay and suchlike. They're pretty cameras so look good on shelves.
I, too, am partial to an MX. I have two very nice ones here that I ought to use more. They're excellent cameras to use, as well as very pretty to boot with their wide, short bodies.
The MX I got looked mint in the pics but the mirror was stuck so I took a punt on being able to free it with lube or new seals. When it arrived I realised the curtain wasn't quite closing so I gave it a ton of actuations and at the moment the problem has gone away. It does need seals because they are so sticky. I just need to make sure I cover everything so no gunky foam goes into the works. It is gorgeous though.
10-01-2021, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like to support Benz3ne. There are plenty of Pentax bodies on fleabay, just type "Pentax" and restrict to analogue cameras. Then buy the one that pleases you most.

If you would like to came us close as you can to the original "Pentax" you have to buy on from the S-series. Of course this and the Spotmatic use M42 lenses, so if you would like a camera with K-mount, it is from the K-series onwards. As has been said, just do not buy the K1000. It is heavily overpriced and just a striped down version of the KM, which itself is basically a Spotmatic with a K-mount.

I have a small collection of M42 and K-mount cameras in working condition and if I should suggest one of these, it would be a MX or a Spotmatic. The Auto 110 is a very attempting idea as well.
10-01-2021, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I'd say a Spotmatic, even a humble SP500 or SP100 (which can be found very cheap), are the nicest to look at.

10-01-2021, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

I'd like Ringo's one from A Hard Day's Night, even with water damage !
10-01-2021, 08:48 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote

If you are ever in the Netherlands come and get it. At this moment sending it will be expensive, one of the lesser points of the Brexit.
10-01-2021, 09:13 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you check Pentax KM? It is normally less expensive compare to MX but is bigger and that is an advantage for display sample.
10-01-2021, 09:30 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you buy a 110, pretty sure you could use those lenses on the Q with an adapter. You'll be shooting wide open, but you could do it.

If you do get a K1000, make it an original made in Japan model.

Keep an eye on eBay for an LX. I scored a fully functional one with winder for $150. Every now and then, you can find a good deal under the radar.

Patience will be key to finding good prices. I think people often overlook some nice models. I turned up a K2 for about $40 and a KX for about $55. People are so focused on the K1000, they are over priced compared to some of the other cameras out there. You'll find cameras like the ME Super are dirt cheap.
10-01-2021, 09:41 AM   #27
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Oh my, the gears in my head are churning already. I must have the small auto110, a regular 35mm sized model, and a medium format sized model on the shelf.
Slippery slope :P
You'll need an M42 35mm sized model and a K-Mount.
You'll also need to get an M37 Asahiflex as well :P
10-01-2021, 11:45 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
If you are ever in the Netherlands come and get it. At this moment sending it will be expensive, one of the lesser points of the Brexit.
I have lost count of the number of lesser points of Brexit! I am, and will always be, a European
10-01-2021, 03:16 PM - 3 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

I payed $50 for an Asahi Pentax s that probably works with original 55mm f/2.2 and manual.
How could I pass it up? Well worth it for display.
The key is to be patient until the right price come up.
10-01-2021, 04:17 PM   #30
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I payed $50 for an Asahi Pentax s that probably works with original 55mm f/2.2 and manual.
How could I pass it up? Well worth it for display.
The key is to be patient until the right price come up.
The lens alone is worth that. I have the AP body (plus 58mm 2.4) and it would be my choice if I was to have only one body displayed. There is a sense of simple severe beauty and the elegance of the slow shutter speed dial vs the shutter delay lever of the similar spotmatic is the icing on the cake.