Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2021, 08:51 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Who needs a superzoom camera...

...when you have a 45x zoom range in a nice compact, lightweight setup such as this!

10-03-2021, 11:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I could say flerfers need 'em, but I won't.
10-03-2021, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Who needs a superzoom camera...
.... the photographer who missed the shot while trying to decide which body/lens/setting should be used.
10-03-2021, 03:05 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...when you have a 45x zoom range in a nice compact, lightweight setup such as this!
That's actually a pretty tidy-looking setup. The strap attached to the tripod foot makes me a little nervous, though.

However, one demerit for Mr. Bertwert:

QuoteQuote:
Welcome to the PentaxForums.com General Talk section! Feel free to discuss any non-photographic and non-political topics in here, but make sure that threads about camera brands other than Pentax go in the Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. - PentaxForums.com forum.

10-03-2021, 04:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
That's actually a pretty tidy-looking setup. The strap attached to the tripod foot makes me a little nervous, though.
Yeah - it really isn't a bother taking the KP plus 150-450 and K-50 with another lens there - I can swing the K-50 around to my back completely out the way as well. I wouldn't normally, but thought I'd throw the 10-17 on my belt as a joke for the full focal length coverage

As far as the strap - it does seem a bit iffy, but I carried my A 400 like this for years and the strap hardware is way way stronger than needed. The only failure point would be unscrewing (which isn't happening as it doesn't spin around when slung, and I check it's tight every time I put it on) or the tripod foot coming disconnected (which, I don't really like the attachment system of it, but I imagine it's secure enough as people carry them around like that all the time). It seems a single point strap to the tripod foot is fairly common - but if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears!

However, one demerit for Mr. Bertwert:
Who said it's photographic topic - it's a fashion accessory topic!
10-03-2021, 08:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah - it really isn't a bother taking the KP plus 150-450 and K-50 with another lens there - I can swing the K-50 around to my back completely out the way as well. I wouldn't normally, but thought I'd throw the 10-17 on my belt as a joke for the full focal length coverage

As far as the strap - it does seem a bit iffy, but I carried my A 400 like this for years and the strap hardware is way way stronger than needed. The only failure point would be unscrewing (which isn't happening as it doesn't spin around when slung, and I check it's tight every time I put it on) or the tripod foot coming disconnected (which, I don't really like the attachment system of it, but I imagine it's secure enough as people carry them around like that all the time). It seems a single point strap to the tripod foot is fairly common - but if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears!
I guess I just wince internally seeing that single point of failure at the tripod foot... over the years I've read a few sad tales of straps or attachments failing, resulting in catastrophe - the actual metal broke. It would be nice to have a small auxiliary strap from where your strap attaches at the tripod foot to the body. My Tamron 400/4 has two lug rings to which I attach my Peak Design strap, and I appreciate the redundancy.

If I were more of an adventurer, I'd probably go with a full-on sling.

Of course, most likely everything is fine, and I'm just turning into my mother.
10-03-2021, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I guess I just wince internally seeing that single point of failure at the tripod foot... over the years I've read a few sad tales of straps or attachments failing, resulting in catastrophe - the actual metal broke. It would be nice to have a small auxiliary strap from where your strap attaches at the tripod foot to the body
I really wish for lenses these sizes that they had strap attachments on the tripod collar

10-04-2021, 12:37 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I was given a superzoom for my birthday last week -- a Lumix TZ70 -- and I have to say that it has amazed me with the things it can do. The crazy little thing is the size of a deck of cards but still packs a 24 - 720mm equivalent zoom, and the quality of the results comes amazingly close to the K-S1 that I've been mostly using lately.

From now on, I'm going to be carrying the K-S1 with a 20mm prime attached, plus the TZ70 for any occasions when I happen to need something longer, and no other lenses. For the screen size I view at and the print sizes I make, the TZ70 will do the job fine.
10-04-2021, 05:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess I just wince internally seeing that single point of failure at the tripod foot... over the years I've read a few sad tales of straps or attachments failing, resulting in catastrophe - the actual metal broke. It would be nice to have a small auxiliary strap from where your strap attaches at the tripod foot to the body. My Tamron 400/4 has two lug rings to which I attach my Peak Design strap, and I appreciate the redundancy.

If I were more of an adventurer, I'd probably go with a full-on sling.

Of course, most likely everything is fine, and I'm just turning into my mother.
Yeah - there have been a couple reports of the 150-450 foot failing at the attachment to the collar - but that seems to be more when the was a dynamic force applied, not just when static. I think that's the only real possible failure point in the system as I have it.

Strap lugs would be nice to have... though with your setup, as I understand the PD strap is a regular strap with two attachment points - so if one of your attachment points failed, wouldn't the set up still fall? Or I guess if you have a quick enough reaction you may catch it.

But now you've got me thinking of a secondary safety tether of sorts, I'll have to think of a way to do so - as attaching a cord to the body doesn't seem very practical when I'm often rotating the collar in use. Not to mention the force applied to the body attachment point if the tripod foot fails - there would be some slack from the rings to the body, which would result in a sudden stop, possibly tearing/damaging the point on the body (better than the lens hitting the ground I suppose).

Maybe some sort of webbing loop that goes around the lens body by the tripod mount - should be fine if it's not the main system of carrying, but an emergency back up?

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
I really wish for lenses these sizes that they had strap attachments on the tripod collar
Agreed! There's no reason not too really, they can be fairly small and out the way, and it really wouldn't be anything in the way of production cost.
10-04-2021, 05:51 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But now you've got me thinking of a secondary safety tether of sorts, I'll have to think of a way to do so - as attaching a cord to the body doesn't seem very practical when I'm often rotating the collar in use. Not to mention the force applied to the body attachment point if the tripod foot fails - there would be some slack from the rings to the body, which would result in a sudden stop, possibly tearing/damaging the point on the body (better than the lens hitting the ground I suppose).

Maybe some sort of webbing loop that goes around the lens body by the tripod mount - should be fine if it's not the main system of carrying, but an emergency back up?
Add a PD plate to the grip, these have corners that allow you to attach their quick attachment tabs but you could easily add a cord or other means of safety that ran from your strap lugs to the plate. The collar rotation you mentioned could be accommodated with slack.
10-04-2021, 06:33 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The strap attached to the tripod foot makes me a little nervous, though.
I always wince when I see such setups.

Why? With perhaps too much physics background and an ME dad, I think those feet were designed to handle a load from above - i.e. the mass of the camera/lens sits ON the tripod attachment - the opposite of dangling all that mass FROM it. Most structures and materials are better in compression than tension!
10-04-2021, 07:09 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Try finding a camera bag for that sucker...

---------- Post added 10-04-21 at 10:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
.... the photographer who missed the shot while trying to decide which body/lens/setting should be used.
Some people do obsess about those kinds of things. More experienced know, long zoom on the camera for the unexpected wildlife opportunities. Most landscapes are quite happy to wait for lens changes.
But as for who needs a superzoom, people who think diffraction looks artsy.

Honest, sometimes diffraction looks really cool.

Last edited by normhead; 10-04-2021 at 09:08 AM.
10-04-2021, 07:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Add a PD plate to the grip, these have corners that allow you to attach their quick attachment tabs but you could easily add a cord or other means of safety that ran from your strap lugs to the plate. The collar rotation you mentioned could be accommodated with slack.
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
I always wince when I see such setups.

Why? With perhaps too much physics background and an ME dad, I think those feet were designed to handle a load from above - i.e. the mass of the camera/lens sits ON the tripod attachment - the opposite of dangling all that mass FROM it. Most structures and materials are better in compression than tension!
Hmm - I'll definitely add some sort of safety tether - I feel that it should be solid enough carrying in this direction, but on the off chance that it fails...

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
Heb het zelf ervaren, mijn eerste 150-450 vers uit de doos. (uiteraard onder garantie om kunnen ruilen).
I presume you're saying that your tripod foot broke when pretty much new? Sorry - my Dutch isn't that good, I have to rely on Google translate
10-04-2021, 07:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Try finding a camera bag for that sucker...
Yes... that is my current dilemma - trying to find a bag that fits all my gear, including laptop if possible for my travels to Ontario (school) and back, without having to spend $300 on some bag... but that's another discussion for another day...
10-04-2021, 08:09 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm - I'll definitely add some sort of safety tether - I feel that it should be solid enough carrying in this direction, but on the off chance that it fails...

I presume you're saying that your tripod foot broke when pretty much new? Sorry - my Dutch isn't that good, I have to rely on Google translate
Sorry, removed my posting just for that reason and that i couldn't attach an image

But indeed, i received a 150-450 with a broken tripod foot. Of course i could send it back and get a new one, but since then i don't fully trust the tripod foot.