Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2021, 04:03 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Spotmeter

A Friend of mine wants to know which model his Pentax Spotmeter is. It uses a 9V mecury battery and looks like the image attatched.

Attached Images

10-21-2021, 04:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Might be a Spotmeter III with an added Zone System graphic on the control dial. Spotmeter | My Pentax
10-21-2021, 05:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or the even older Spotmeter 1/21.

Phil.
10-21-2021, 09:01 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photodana Quote
A Friend of mine wants to know which model his Pentax Spotmeter is. It uses a 9V mecury battery and looks like the image attatched.
As steephill mentioned, it's a Spotmeter III. It's probably useless at this point as getting a battery of the correct fit and voltage will be impossible. The old meters didn't have voltage regulators, so the battery has to be the one the meter was designed to use.

10-21-2021, 06:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What can be seen of it from this angle is identical to my 1/21. However, the 1/21 manual makes no mention of a 9v mercury cell; only a 9v regular cell and a 1.3v mercury. I've been getting occasional use of this meter by substituting an A640 (LR52) for the mercury cell.
This brings up a question that I sometimes wonder about. The Spotmatics came out in the heyday of mercury cell use, but can function well with alkalines due to the presence of "bridge circuitry". Is it possible that the Pentax spotmeters of that era share the same circuitry?