Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2022, 04:19 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Whatever they put into those little gas dusting cans that come from the office supply store.
I once cleaned a focusing-screen of the split image type with canned air. It changed it's color, was useless afterwards.
The air was too cold. So that stopped me from ever using canned air for sensor or pentaprism cleaning.
Also the pressure can be quite strong, danger for seals, hinges etc.

The airflow of a sensible vaccumcleaner can be adjusted, with an adapter and thin tube one can reach very easy into smaller regions without any danger of "sucking" something up that could go out of alignment. That is my experience.

11-25-2022, 04:19 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Whatever they put into those little gas dusting cans that come from the office supply store.
Aha, I thought you used flammable gas to burn the dust away, instead of wet cleaning.
11-25-2022, 04:26 AM   #48
Unregistered User

I'm very surprised no one has suggested putting their camera in a tumble dryer - they certainly get rid of the dust/lint on my clothes.
11-25-2022, 05:35 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I once cleaned a focusing-screen of the split image type with canned air. It changed it's color, was useless afterwards.
The air was too cold. So that stopped me from ever using canned air for sensor or pentaprism cleaning.
Also the pressure can be quite strong, danger for seals, hinges etc.

The airflow of a sensible vaccumcleaner can be adjusted, with an adapter and thin tube one can reach very easy into smaller regions without any danger of "sucking" something up that could go out of alignment. That is my experience.
This is literally a first. Every time on any forum that I mention this I get a barrage of warnings, but never any actual facts regarding how harmful canned gas can be.
I did check the MSDS one time and found the liquid used has a boiling point of somewhere in the range of -20°C, so it's chilly if you spray liquid propellent, but I'm very surprised it was cold enough to damage a screen as I routinely use cameras when it's colder outside than that.
If used properly, meaning one is just getting gas, not liquid, it's nowhere near that cold.
I'm wondering if there isn't a correlation/ causation thing at play here.