Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 61 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2021, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Four days ? Wow sometimes I go for 4 months which is not good. At my age, you forget how to operate the darn thing. The best thing to do when you fall into a drought, is to travel to a different area. You will find abundant things to photograph (unless you move to the Mohave desert) because they are new to you. It worked for me !

11-04-2021, 08:50 PM - 3 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31:
<profile says "Garden City, NY">
We are nearly neighbors given the global scope of this forum. I'm in Huntington. Photograph common things in the area but in ways that are new to you.
  • Urban astrophotography. Use an app/website like The Photographer's Ephemeris or PhotoPills to find when the sun or moon line up with skyscrapers, bridges, lighthouses.
  • Abstract telephoto architecture. Famous buildings have been photographed millions of times. Forget about the total building and use a narrower view to find patterns within a building.
  • You probably see a lot of airliners on their way to JFK and LGA airports. Try to get airplanes in front of a moon. This can be done night or day.

11-04-2021, 08:58 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
...You will find abundant things to photograph (unless you move to the Mohave desert)...
Don't diss the desert It's a great place to photograph. Unique rocks formations, cholla cactii with dense spines that get a nice golden glow at sunset and sunrise, Joshua trees, dark skies for Milky Way photography, etc.
11-04-2021, 11:57 PM - 1 Like   #34
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I admire those that can produce something interesting every day.
Nobody can. Weather and life just won't allow that. You just try your best with what you got. Some days I do the shot in few minutes. On others I spend the whole day on a shooting trip. Every ones in a while I do get something special done when everything falls in place perfectly.

I started SIC to learn about lenses and to push my skills and those are pretty much the reasons why I continue. Without SIC I would skip the whole practising thing and only take up the camera when I have something special to shoot.

11-05-2021, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sometimes there is nothing worth photographing, it's time to give cameras a rest.
11-05-2021, 12:44 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It’s also good to just spend time looking around at what interests. My work has me travelling around a lot and I enjoy just keeping my eyes open for the sights of the season. There’s no time of year that doesn’t have its highlights, whether they make interesting photos or not, and learning to see and appreciate what’s around us is a photographer’s skill. Right now there’s the autumn colours and light and the weather effects on morning and evening skies are one of winter’s joys to come. Unless you’re in Oz.
11-05-2021, 02:08 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Hey guys - just wanted to share... I am currently in a photo-drought. Hoping to snap out of it with a trip to the Berkshires this weekend.

Anyone had this happen? It is not the gear, it is not a life-crisis... I just feel like I have nothing to shoot nowadays (I did take Halloween shots of my daughter, but I rarely post shots of the fam).

Oh well; in the meanwhile i am still enjoying everyone's contributions here. I see your shots and feel kinda "envious" you guys keep it going so well - I am happy to see your shots, do not get it wrong.

I may need to get rid of some gear; I may have too much to choose from?

I need to go back to M42s and the K-50 = my last shots about a week ago was with it and the Tak35/3.5 and those made me happy. Then I snapped a few with my E-M1 (a camera that I honestly loveeee) but I just find it flat...

Oh well - I hope is just a phase. Be well everyone!
I think if I went without carrying a camera around for four days I'd be sweating heavily, unable to sleep and pleading with anyone I saw "Please, please give me a camera! Just for a little bit! I just need a little to get me through!"

We all go through phases, I wouldn't worry about it. The urge to take photos may come and go, the important thing is to enjoy yourself and not stress. The last few years have been hard inspiration-wise for the last couple of years for many people, myself included.

11-05-2021, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes, hen the weather is flat and grey or I can't get out for whatever reason, I resort to playing around with simple indoor set-ups - still life or macro or flowers or whatever - the results aren't always amazing, but it gets your brain into photo problem solving mode - how can I improve this, make the light better, make it more interesting etc- and the challenge gets me back into the groove. the truth is that we all lead complex lives and a lot of what we do requires a mindset that is not compatible with creativity, and you need to nudge it back sometimes.

PS - this is from the other day - nothing special, just two objects that happened to have landed up on the same table and a bit of sunlight coming in and playing to make some sort of an image - strangely engrossing when you start playing

Last edited by ffking; 11-05-2021 at 07:42 AM.
11-05-2021, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #39
Closed Account

I'm not sure what's worse, not carrying one for a few days or carrying one for a few days and nothing quite working despite being able to see the potential.
11-05-2021, 07:08 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
We are nearly neighbors given the global scope of this forum. I'm in Huntington. Photograph common things in the area but in ways that are new to you.
These are superb! Which lighthouse is that you're showcasing? And, yes while my zip code is technically Garden City, living a few blocks away from the Garden City Village made me afford my house I am technically in Stewart Manor.

Hello neighbor!

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Urban astrophotography. Use an app/website like The Photographer's Ephemeris or PhotoPills to find when the sun or moon line up with skyscrapers, bridges, lighthouses.Abstract telephoto architecture. Famous buildings have been photographed millions of times. Forget about the total building and use a narrower view to find patterns within a building.You probably see a lot of airliners on their way to JFK and LGA airports. Try to get airplanes in front of a moon. This can be done night or day.
Thanks for these tips. No 1 I've done here and there as I work in the Bronx, so I get to see the city often. No. 2 is new to me!! No. 3 - I get the planes overhead basically; can't really align them with much but will be in the lookout!

Cheers!

---------- Post added 11-05-21 at 10:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
Yes, the same...sometime...very often if that's make sense!When that happens, I usually go to Instagram and search for a few hashtags, mostly tags connected to the style/thing I like such as cityscape, nightphotography, Tokyo, etc and I will feel like a taking photo again.
Nice - I've seen your Tokyo shots and they're amazing.

Today the spell might be broken. Thread made me take my camera today with the preset 200 Tele-Tak... I snapped a shot at a piece of sidewalk (yep) and I think it will be a keeper...

---------- Post added 11-05-21 at 10:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I think if I went without carrying a camera around for four days I'd be sweating heavily, unable to sleep and pleading with anyone I saw "Please, please give me a camera! Just for a little bit! I just need a little to get me through!"
Ahh - this is how I feel; It might be my "feel safe" item... As I've taken my camera places and really not shoot a single frame. But I know it is there and I have access to it.

---------- Post added 11-05-21 at 10:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
I'm not sure what's worse, not carrying one for a few days or carrying one for a few days and nothing quite working despite being able to see the potential.
Prior to stop carrying it, I was sort of experiencing the latter... I was seeing shots but I was unable to perform. It was not the gear... That hurts.
11-05-2021, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

These are superb! Which lighthouse is that you're showcasing? And, yes while my zip code is technically Garden City, living a few blocks away from the Garden City Village made me afford my house I am technically in Stewart Manor.
Thanks. That's the Fire Island Lighthouse. The prior 2 photos were taken from positions near Robert Moses parking field 5. Here's another, same lighthouse, from across the bay in Captree.

11-05-2021, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Four days ? Wow sometimes I go for 4 months which is not good. At my age, you forget how to operate the darn thing. The best thing to do when you fall into a drought, is to travel to a different area. You will find abundant things to photograph (unless you move to the Mohave desert) because they are new to you. It worked for me !
Made me chuckle... Now, unfortunately (or fortunately depending on the light you see this) my life (work/play) is very settled. I also have to use all my spare time on my 4 year-old (which I do not mind at all).So not much visiting odd/new places for me. I even tried to shoot my child during soccer scrimmages; but other folks don't take too kind of a man with a dSLR shooting towards children playing...
11-05-2021, 08:21 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I’ve taken thousands of photos on my daily dog walk with Bandit in and near the Wetlands of Champion’s Park the past two years, bird, bees wild flowers, weeds, Bandit and other dogs with and without their owners. Just this week I decided I need a change of scenery before it gets too cold and I revert to indoor photography.

Edit: But I still tote my GRiii daily even if no DSLR.
11-05-2021, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #44
Closed Account

Prior to stop carrying it, I was sort of experiencing the latter... I was seeing shots but I was unable to perform. It was not the gear... That hurts.
I think that's normal, well it's normal for me. Frustrating sometimes but normal.
11-05-2021, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
I’ve taken thousands of photos on my daily dog walk with Bandit in and near the Wetlands of Champion’s Park the past two years, bird, bees wild flowers, weeds, Bandit and other dogs with and without their owners. Just this week I decided I need a change of scenery before it gets too cold and I revert to indoor photography.

Edit: But I still tote my GRiii daily even if no DSLR.
If people participated it would be interesting to see images taken with pocket cameras, when they though nothing interesting would be happening.
A few years ago, I got some great images just wandering around while T was at the dentist. No plan. Just some time and the Lumix ZS100 that often lives in my glove box.