Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2021, 01:27 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Misses his dslr

Yet another who loves his dslr. Even though it's a Nikon, it's a nice story.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/uk/news/i-wish-i-hadnt-sold-my-nikon-d720...an-you-realize

11-07-2021, 04:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is. Couldn't agree more. Which is why I'm not going to sell my K-3 anytime soon. Except, maybe, to replace it with a K-3 III, but even that will take quite some time (possibly years) before it really happens.

Thanks for sharing.
11-07-2021, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a nice little article. It almost reads like an advertisement for Pentax
11-07-2021, 06:06 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
OK, so now the viewfinder. I know all the arguments against optical ‘finders and how the latest EVFs are SO GOOD that it’s like the same thing. Well, it’s not. An EVF is a digital display, a DSLR viewfinder is seeing things with your eyes. Well, one eye, obviously, but you know what I mean.
I should have that quote assigned to a hotkey so I can insert it into my posts whenever necessary...

11-07-2021, 06:11 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use dslr and mirrorless both and find the viewfinder differences a minor annoyance. The EVF is occasionally easier to use as is the OVF. There are differences and the OVF can be superior particularly in fidelity and dynamic range - but I have gotten used to using both and find it a minor part of my adjustment to various cameras I have most of the time.

I’m very glad I have the choice to use both.
11-07-2021, 06:16 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I use dslr and mirrorless both and find the viewfinder differences a minor annoyance. The EVF is occasionally easier to use as is the OVF. There are differences and the OVF can be superior particularly in fidelity and dynamic range - but I have gotten used to using both and find it a minor part of my adjustment to various cameras I have most of the time.

I’m very glad I have the choice to use both.
I'm the same... Unlike some, I can happily use either without problems. I generally prefer an OVF, but there are definitely times when an EVF has advantages...
11-07-2021, 06:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The same author, Rod Lawton, published an interesting piece a couple of weeks ago:https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/uk/features/dslr-vs-mirrorless-cameras-how-do-they-compare

It's a fairly balanced article that discusses the advantages and disadvantages of both types of camera. I think some readers might find a few niggles, including this opinion: "...while Pentax continues to champion the DSLR camera design, its new Pentax K-3 Mark III DSLR is an obstinately old-school DSLR which might appeal to DSLR diehards but shows just how far mirrorless cameras have come in the meantime." I find it difficult to reconcile this view and his nostalia for his D7200.

Notably, while the author mentions a number of specific camera models to illustrate his points in that earlier article, he neglects to mention the advanced OVF in the K-3 Mark III, which is arguably one of the key features -- and advancements -- in the K-3 III. It also shows that advancements are indeed still possible in DSLRs.

The author had also reviewed the K-3 Mark III in an earlier article, in which he was not complimentary in his conclusions: https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/uk/reviews/pentax-k-3-mark-iii-review.

So, while the longing for the old D7200 is interesting in the midst of the mirrorless craze, he seems to carry an unnecessarily critical view of the K-3 Mark III. Perhaps its price put him off. Or, his experience with the new Pentax was superficially brief.

Nonetheless, it's good to read a positive viewpoint about DSLRs in general.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 11-07-2021 at 06:57 AM.
11-07-2021, 07:04 AM - 4 Likes   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I find it difficult to reconcile this view and his nostalia for his D7200.
The common denominator is his intention to generate website traffic, divide opinion and thereby generate even more traffic through readers' responses. DSLR vs mirrorless is one of those topics that always, without fail, divides opinion and gets both camps jumping in with agreement or argument...
11-07-2021, 07:37 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The common denominator is his intention to generate website traffic, divide opinion and thereby generate even more traffic through readers' responses. DSLR vs mirrorless is one of those topics that always, without fail, divides opinion and gets both camps jumping in with agreement or argument...
Good point. I seem to read these articles assuming they are logical, rational and consistent!

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 11-07-2021 at 01:25 PM. Reason: typo
11-07-2021, 08:30 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no opinion on mirrorless vs. dslr, but I'm amazed at the decision making process of this "photography journalist". It looks like all of "oooh, my camera is old, let's order the new popular thing". Now Pentax customers often have to take a leap on a new camera, but you'd think a photography journalist would have a chance to pick up a camera or two before purchase, to see how they feel in the hand. And be aware of, say, other cameras they own, and how their capabilities could be used. Maybe next time think about that instead of blindly following instatube influencers.
11-07-2021, 08:56 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I should have that quote assigned to a hotkey so I can insert it into my posts whenever necessary...
That set me thinking Mike!

wellitsnot
11-07-2021, 09:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Drat! I got the size wrong!
11-08-2021, 12:13 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That’s a useful assessment. It’s too easy to take the view “someone on the interweb is wrong” and sound off. There are better uses of our time.
11-08-2021, 12:25 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
It’s too easy to take the view “someone on the interweb is wrong” and sound off. There are better uses of our time.
I tend not to read or watch opinion pieces on the web any more for precisely that reason. I spend more than enough time discussing the opinions posted in these forums to go looking for more elsewhere. At least here I have some affinity with those sharing their views

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-08-2021 at 12:47 AM.
11-08-2021, 05:52 AM - 5 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
That’s a useful assessment. It’s too easy to take the view “someone on the interweb is wrong” and sound off. There are better uses of our time.