Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 73 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2021, 09:52 AM   #181

Iphone cameras are always effective and comes out nice always, This is beautiful anyways

11-25-2021, 10:08 AM   #182
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The same way as network credentials are being recorded in phone supplier database when upgrading phone OS or changing iPhone model. The trick of phone manufacturer is that I can't update the OS security without enabling access to all applications and content (photos, video, microphone and other). If I want OS security upgrade I have to open everything, the sync can't be turned off or else the OS update can't be completed. In addition, the OS has a background service running that keep asking for OS updates, something like every week. If I don't update the OS, after a while some apps become unusable (like a timeout). I guess if your phone manufacturer have sufficient access rights to change the whole OS running on your phone, they also have the right to download your personal content. It not because you tick off a box in UI that the firmware has to respect your choice, you have no control over what the code is actually doing because the code is compiled, no one outside of the phone maker has access to the source code, not even governments. That's why the military are prohibited to use their phone for professional communication.
OK< fine, but, what are the negative effects of this "stealing" in your life. How are you suffering?

I looked at some electric fat tire bikes on line yesterday. I was just about to send a few links to T, because we'd definitely want two, but before I could send her the links, they turned up in the ads that were shown on a news website, on her computer (which, no doubt has the same IP address.) How is that bad for me? It saved me some time.

How is having ads for product I'm actually interested in any way bad for me?
How is tailoring the ads I see to compatible with the things I actually buy bad for me?

It take me a while to make these decisions. It's not an exact science, I get ads for Nikon Cameras all the time. I have no interest in them. But there times when these "intrusions" are helpful. I'd need some negative experiences to balance that with. I can't think of any. I'd still rather see ads for Nikon cameras than ladies underwear or something.

---------- Post added 11-25-21 at 12:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxshotz Quote
Iphone cameras are always effective and comes out nice always, This is beautiful anyways
We often get complaints from phone users trying to transition to ILCs about how hard it is to get "good" images.

Last edited by normhead; 11-25-2021 at 10:22 AM.
11-25-2021, 01:15 PM   #183

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
OK< fine, but, what are the negative effects of this "stealing" in your life. How are you suffering?

I looked at some electric fat tire bikes on line yesterday. I was just about to send a few links to T, because we'd definitely want two, but before I could send her the links, they turned up in the ads that were shown on a news website, on her computer (which, no doubt has the same IP address.) How is that bad for me? It saved me some time.

How is having ads for product I'm actually interested in any way bad for me?
How is tailoring the ads I see to compatible with the things I actually buy bad for me?

It take me a while to make these decisions. It's not an exact science, I get ads for Nikon Cameras all the time. I have no interest in them. But there times when these "intrusions" are helpful. I'd need some negative experiences to balance that with. I can't think of any. I'd still rather see ads for Nikon cameras than ladies underwear or something.

---------- Post added 11-25-21 at 12:46 PM ----------

We often get complaints from phone users trying to transition to ILCs about how hard it is to get "good" images.
Should i say it is their opinion, or because they cant use their phone to bring out good images?
11-26-2021, 03:59 AM   #184
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The same way as network credentials are being recorded in phone supplier database when upgrading phone OS or changing iPhone model. The trick of phone manufacturer is that I can't update the OS security without enabling access to all applications and content (photos, video, microphone and other). If I want OS security upgrade I have to open everything, the sync can't be turned off or else the OS update can't be completed. In addition, the OS has a background service running that keep asking for OS updates, something like every week. If I don't update the OS, after a while some apps become unusable (like a timeout). I guess if your phone manufacturer have sufficient access rights to change the whole OS running on your phone, they also have the right to download your personal content. It not because you tick off a box in UI that the firmware has to respect your choice, you have no control over what the code is actually doing because the code is compiled, no one outside of the phone maker has access to the source code, not even governments. That's why the military are prohibited to use their phone for professional communication.
I live in an area where upload speeds are horrible. There is no way that my phone or computer is uploading actual photos to the internet without me knowing it. I'm sure there is information out there, plenty of it, but I just don't have the bandwidth to do what is implied here.

11-26-2021, 04:23 AM   #185
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It may upload at night when, so unless you have transfer restricted connection you would not notice. Plus there are often only hashes send with localization data etc so when you do upload the picture it is connected with right data anyway.

There are lots of ways to get personal data and photographs if some company really wants it. Unless you are off grid completely of course.
11-26-2021, 05:25 AM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
There are lots of ways to get personal data and photographs if some company really wants it. Unless you are off grid completely of course.
It is also illegal to do so, at least in the EU. Considering how obvious it would be if someone were to monitor data traffic we would know if it happened - after all, there was a case of gaming anticheat services uploading screenshots, and we knew about it the day of the release. After the obvious outrage, it got patched out within the week.
11-26-2021, 06:23 AM   #187
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Should i say it is their opinion, or because they cant use their phone to bring out good images?
It's because they don't actually care for images with shallow DoF, and an ILC generally requires much more care in the placement of the focal plane. I know every talks about out of focus areas being smooth, but some people don't like them at all. The whole "everyone should be enamoured with narrow DoF is one of the most universally accepted myths. Thew whole 1930s Stieglitz vs the ƒ/64 club. Even among famous photographers, narrow DoF isn't universally appreciated.

11-26-2021, 09:10 AM   #188

Picture looks great with a ton of detail! Is it the latest Iphone?
11-26-2021, 11:33 AM   #189
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeerFat Quote
Picture looks great with a ton of detail! Is it the latest Iphone?
Yes, iPhone 13 pro... I've spent bit of time over at DxO to see if I can get some kind of comparative MTF. Even though it's only 12 MP, the detail is better than what I'd expect from a larger MP camera.
11-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #190

It's because they don't actually care for images with shallow DoF, and an ILC generally requires much more care in the placement of the focal plane. I know every talks about out of focus areas being smooth, but some people don't like them at all. The whole "everyone should be enamoured with narrow DoF is one of the most universally accepted myths. Thew whole 1930s Stieglitz vs the ƒ/64 club. Even among famous photographers, narrow DoF isn't universally appreciated.
Oh i see, all of this still revolves around professionalism. Thanks for the enlightenment
11-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #191
Pentaxian

Yes, iPhone 13 pro... I've spent bit of time over at DxO to see if I can get some kind of comparative MTF. Even though it's only 12 MP, the detail is better than what I'd expect from a larger MP camera.
I use Topaz sharpen AI, applied to K1 image, I make 24x36" print they are tack sharp. I wonder how Topaz AI would work on iPhone files. The thing is Sharpen AI works best with images that haven't been sharpened already. Can iPhones deliver RAW files?
11-26-2021, 01:54 PM   #192
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh i see, all of this still revolves around professionalism. Thanks for the enlightenment
Not at all, it revolves around people's (professionals and amateurs), personal tastes. How does that equate to professionalism?
11-28-2021, 01:27 AM   #193
Pentaxian

DSLR can be cumbersome at times and now DSLR/MILC are getting more expensive than ever before, while smartphones have gotten better for taking photos. Sometimes , we just want not to be bothered by sizable camera gear, and just enjoy the landscape, the hike, the canoe paddling experience or other. Various people have reacted differently to this. Very few people kept carrying their DSLR everywhere they go. Some people have let their DSLR gear at home indefinitely and use a smartphone for taking snapshots. Some people have sold their entire full frame kit and went for micro4:3 with a couple lenses. I made a different choice, I go on location alone (not to bother relatives and friends not interested in photography) or with other photographers for the sole purpose of taking high quality high resolution photos with the goal turning exposures into A1 or larger prints (priority 1) and I carry all gear I may need for that, I do that a few times a year. Otherwise I leave the DSLR gear at home, I don't take pictures other than utility snapshots or scanning documents with a phone. I didn't make the choice to drop DSLR photography all together because of smartphones, I deliberately decided to limit what and when I take photographs with heavy gear, and so far I'm happy with that choice.

---------- Post added 28-11-21 at 09:34 ----------

Not at all, it revolves around people's (professionals and amateurs), personal tastes. How does that equate to professionalism?
Depth of field. You can't generalize depth of field and people's tastes. Depth of field can be narrow with a phone if the subject is close enough. Depth of field can also be all is in focus with a DSLR, using wide angle lens on mid-distant and distant subjects for instance, I have all-in-focus FF shots at 20mm to 35mm, f4 to f8 hand-held. With a DSLR (apsc, ff), lens focal length and aperture can be set according to taste, to either deliver all in focus images or subject separation shallow depth of field images, the choice is yours. You don't have as much choice of DoF adjustment with a phone.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 11-28-2021 at 01:39 AM.
11-28-2021, 03:57 AM - 2 Likes   #194
Pentaxian

I made a different choice, I go on location alone (not to bother relatives and friends not interested in photography) or with other photographers for the sole purpose of taking high quality high resolution photos with the goal turning exposures into A1 or larger prints (priority 1) and I carry all gear I may need for that, I do that a few times a year. Otherwise I leave the DSLR gear at home, I don't take pictures other than utility snapshots or scanning documents with a phone. I didn't make the choice to drop DSLR photography all together because of smartphones, I deliberately decided to limit what and when I take photographs with heavy gear, and so far I'm happy with that choice.

That's your choice and it's a legitimate one. But it is not an objectively superior choice, and it does not entitle you to judge different choices made by other people as inferior. It's just a choice that lets you take photos that conform to the criteria that you personally feel to be important.

There's a tendency for some photographers to think that, because technical quality is objectively measurable, then the highest possible technical quality must be an objectively necessary criterion for a good photograph. But that's not the case. Photography is a practice in which subjective aesthetic criteria are equally as important as -- and for some people more important than -- technical criteria. It's entirely valid for a photographer to have an aesthetic preference for what some might consider to be low technical quality.
11-28-2021, 05:57 AM   #195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I clearly see the sarcasm here, and you visibly lack awareness of how lack of data control can be problematic, especially when users of your personal data can't be tracked and held accountable, especially when money is taken from your bank account and you have to immediately take action with banks and file insurance claims. Good luck.
I have all kinds of awareness, but I don't see it as the terrifying, all-encompassing phenomenon that the privacy zealots do. I occasionally post something on Facebook and have had a Google Photos site for 14 years and, oddly, I'm still here, my bank accounts are still intact, and I don't have mysterious criminals peering in my windows. Yes, I sometimes have to ignore an REI ad shortly after I parked in the REI parking lot, but I don't see that as an existential threat to my survival.