Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2021, 03:25 PM   #196
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just returned from a short 4.5 day vacation to an area with essentially NO cell service outside of the area's town center. I still carried my Pixel 6 all the time, not for keeping in touch but for the camera. Even tho I had my K3III on my hip, with a couple lenses and a K-70/DFA100 in the bag, there were times the smartphone had the camera I wanted at some particular place or scenario. That was particularly true in the evenings and very early morning light.

Yup, there were certain times that the Pixel was the better choice for that photo moment. I don't think I would have said that very often in years past.

11-29-2021, 07:18 AM   #197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Just returned from a short 4.5 day vacation to an area with essentially NO cell service outside of the area's town center. I still carried my Pixel 6 all the time, not for keeping in touch but for the camera. Even tho I had my K3III on my hip, with a couple lenses and a K-70/DFA100 in the bag, there were times the smartphone had the camera I wanted at some particular place or scenario. That was particularly true in the evenings and very early morning light.

Yup, there were certain times that the Pixel was the better choice for that photo moment. I don't think I would have said that very often in years past.
I just got back from almost a week at my family's farm in rural Virginia, and we have to walk or drive about a half mile to one of several nearby hills to get Verizon service. But I had my Pixel 6 with me, too, mostly for the camera. We did a number of walks around the property and I usually had my K-3 Mark III with me. I don't know if there were any cases where the Pixel was my clear choice for photography, but there were a number of times I used its panorama mode, or auto-HDR for convenience. After working in post on the Mark III files the results there were usually noticeably better than the phone, but there were a number of photos where the Pixel did surprisingly well. The two below from similar vantage points were taken with the Mark III (20-40 LTD, 3-shot HDR processed in Photomatix for Linux) and the Pixel 6 (SOOC jpeg using the 4x optical zoom). Viewing at 100% the Mark III is the clear winner, but the Pixel ain't bad.

The optical zoom is very decent, I have another photo where I could clearly read a road sign (maybe 6" by 24") that was roughly a quarter-mile away.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 6 Pro  Photo