Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 73 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2021, 09:13 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My step son's iPhone.

His work bought him a new iPhone.

It looks pretty good. I think T wants one for Christmas.

11-08-2021, 09:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Have you been a good boy this year?
11-08-2021, 09:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Image quality looks good. It's similar or slightly better to the image quality of my Canon Powershot A710 IS (7.1Mpixels) from 2006, except it's a 4:3 aspect ratio and we can't instantaneously share image with the PS A710 IS.
11-08-2021, 09:37 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely photo. I am not using anything as up to date as a iphone13 but I still get very usable pictures from my ahem....7.

This shows what the "camera" manufacturers are up against.

11-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
His work bought him a new iPhone.

It looks pretty good. I think T wants one for Christmas.
Beautiful Picture. Now I am thinking my next lens upgrade may be from my iPhone 8 plus to the iPhone 13 Pro.
11-08-2021, 10:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Image quality looks good. It's similar or slightly better to the image quality of my Canon Powershot A710 IS (7.1Mpixels) from 2006, except it's a 4:3 aspect ratio and we can't instantaneously share image with the PS A710 IS.
When you display on 4k video, there's going to be a noticeable difference. I would seriously recommend 12 MP, which is good enough for almost anything... to 7 MP.

Some of my favourite images are 12 MP. My older 6 MP images, not so much.
11-08-2021, 12:40 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
This shows what the "camera" manufacturers are up against.
The image looks good. It is heavily enhanced with the equivalent of multiple levels of unsharp masking using radius from wide to pixel unit size and some further digital noise reduction, added global contrast and saturation for punchy colors, so the contrast is very good and the noise is well controlled. Looks good when looking at it at small size. Once enlarged it shows blotchy noise reduction artifacts, tree leaves and trunks look like atrocious paint patches, hairs are blurred. I think camera manufacturers are not up against an image quality challenge, but they are up against the users not appreciating quality and not willing to make the effort to buy and carry an ILC kit. Recent mirrorless camera such as A7RIV, Z7II, GFX50, GFX100s, and DSLR 645z, destroy the very best performing camera-phone, even a Pentax K3-3 destroys it. Maybe in 20 years when my eye sight will have dropped significantly I won't be able to tell the difference between an ILC image and a smartphone image, but as of now I see how enormous the image quality gap is. That said, the day I'll have lost interest in photography, I'll use my smartphone to take pictures.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 11-08-2021 at 12:48 PM.
11-08-2021, 12:44 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think camera manufacturers are not up against anything,
You are deluded if you think that

Most photo takers are wanting something to post on social media. If you think they are bothered by the size they can print to you are mistaken

Last edited by pschlute; 11-08-2021 at 12:51 PM.
11-08-2021, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For “happy snaps” most contemporary phone cameras are more than good enough. They also do well for some more-demanding things.

In absolute terms, there are many things you can criticise about the resulting photos, but for the subjects (mostly food, pets and people) and purposes (aides-memoire, social media brag) their convenience beats everything else.

They were good enough for those things five or more years ago, when the P&S market started to collapse, followed swiftly by that of the cheap DSLR market. Where they fall down (at the moment) is in their ability to capture things at more than the 35mm equivalent of a short telephoto lens, say around 80mm FL, plus (until someone comes up with a sleek and convenient viewfinder kit) their lousy ergonomics.

In a rational, discerning world, camera makers wouldn’t have anything to worry about. However, …
11-08-2021, 01:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
You are deluded if you think thatMost photo takers are wanting something to post on social media
Social media runs out of steam, after the boom of the novelty of online friendship, people rediscover the joy of relationships in the real world (and visiting art galleries, framed photographs..). Teen usage of facebook dropped 45% in recent years, and now dropping 4% for adults between 20 and 30 years of age. Inside Facebook?s struggle to keep young people - The Verge
11-08-2021, 01:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@biz-engineer - Gee. You mean my iPhone which communicates by voice and/or text, connects to the Internet, acts a gps with maps & routes, carries my New Yorker magazine, my newspapers, and my books, tells me if my RV is level, and lots of other stuff does not take a picture that is a good as a $2000 K3iii with a $1000 lens on it? Outrageous!
11-08-2021, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Social media runs out of steam, after the boom of the novelty of online friendship, people rediscover the joy of relationships in the real world (and visiting art galleries, framed photographs..). Teen usage of facebook dropped 45% in recent years, and now dropping 4% for adults between 20 and 30 years of age. Inside Facebook?s struggle to keep young people - The Verge
Yeah...and did you know the Pope is Catholic ?

You need to take a chill pill.
11-08-2021, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #13
mee
Veteran Member

Yes details are very mushy and then it's tried to sharpen what is present.

But it is nice for such a tiny sensor! Can't expect much more than that I think. It does what it does and it does it well for it's intended purpose (quick snaps of family and environment and sharing of them).
11-08-2021, 01:29 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For social imaging and sharing, smartphones are super, IMO. They don't match the ultimate quality of a modern ILC, but neither do they require a backpack of gear.

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
does not take a picture that is a good as a $2000 K3iii with a $1000 lens on it? Outrageous!
Methinks you exaggerate. An $800 lens would work fine.

- Craig
11-08-2021, 01:32 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

Social media runs out of steam, after the boom of the novelty of online friendship, people rediscover the joy of relationships in the real world
Hahaha. You do realize that one of the huge benefits of social media and messaging platforms is that you can maintain those relationships with other people "in the real world" when life pulls you apart and thousands of miles away. It means you can communicate with friends and family that are on the other side of the country (which, in Canada, is quite literally thousands of miles away) and not have to redevelop these relationships when you travel and see them, giving more time to enjoy visiting places such as art galleries. The only reason I have these social media things is this communication. (Admittedly, I do post some pictures on FB because otherwise my relatives complain they never see any of my photos!)

With the exception of PF, all my relationships to people on social media are ones that were first established "in the real world".

Anyways, this is not the topic of the thread. As to which, I will say that camera phones are really getting quite good, and that they have completely replaced the compact camera these days.