Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2021, 03:15 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Underwater camera suggestions

Not sure if this should be here, or in the Compact camera section, but since other brands are also discussed and this subforum gets more traffic, I'm erring on the side of a properly exposed thread ... if it's inadequate, mods please move!

So, recently I've (after postponing it for just a decade or so) finally gotten my Open Water Diver certification. Since I also enjoy freediving, I have a cheap GoPro knockoff (Rollei s9), that I carry with. However, the image quality of the thing is... suspect. Exhibit A:

I should have known better than to cheap out, but the camera's video is actually pretty decent so worst case it will go with my brother to mount on his speargun (or mask) to document his fishing outings.

The question makes itself, then. I am once again asking for your money-spending counsel. Current situation is not particularly buoyant (pun intended) but I love the underwater too much to not try and get decent photos - a DSLR housing is absolutely out of the question, but I've thought I could stretch myself a bit and get at least a better option.

Options I'm considering:
-Ricoh WG-6. This is, I think, what I would prefer, for two reasons: It is rated down to 20 m (for two hours, IIRC), and has a LED ring for macro which I find extremely appealing. It is also reasonably priced. The one and only con is that there is no option for a housing, so if anyone has taken this baby at the usual 18 m depth for OWD, please do let me know if it's a reasonable option or if the waterproofing is NOT valid for that...
-Nikon Coolpix W300. This one is even more waterproofed (30 m!) so this one should not need a housing... As cons, it loses the LED ring, and its close focus is not particularly good either. Also a bit more expensive.
-Olympus TG-6. I've seen this one underwater, has housing options, good macro mode, probably same lens and sensor as the Ricoh. The only thing is that its waterproofing is down to 14 m so I figure it absolutely would need a housing... and thus it gets to be pretty expensive.

-I'd prefer a "proper" camera experience, but a GoPro or similar "premium" action cam is a dependable option as well.

Any comments or suggestions? Other options I have not considered? Thanks a lot in advance!

11-13-2021, 04:16 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

UwP, Your FREE underwater photography magazine and https://wetpixel.com/ might be a useful source of info for you.
11-13-2021, 09:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
UwP, Your FREE underwater photography magazine and https://wetpixel.com/ might be a useful source of info for you.
Thanks! I'll have to take a look in depth
11-13-2021, 04:59 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Ricoh WG-20, forerunner to the WG-6. I use it in the pool or the ocean. I am very pleased with the images and performance.

11-14-2021, 12:34 AM   #5

In my personal opinion the answer is simple... one that can capture images in a RAW format. The ability to capture in RAW can be a big deal underwater.

Otherwise the one with a control interface that best fits your liking or personal preferences.

Unlikely that low power built in lighting works well unless you can get very close to the subject + be slow / gentle enough in motion to not alarm the subject matter (e.g. more likely with air supply and weights, much less likely without). Otherwise higher powered lighting is highly desirable.

Other factors to possibly consider:
- Quality at higher ISO + ability to set a minimum threshold for shutter speed (and possibly ISO range).
- Response time for image capture from sleep mode, and also from power-on startup.
- Any potential aids to aim at subject when viewing screen is not visible.
- Potential to use an extension pole and somehow release shutter.
11-14-2021, 08:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
In my personal opinion the answer is simple... one that can capture images in a RAW format. The ability to capture in RAW can be a big deal underwater.
Huh. I had taken raw shooting for granted. Turns out neither the Ricoh nor the Nikon support it . That's... well, that's a big bummer. I was planning on shooting down to 15-20m so there's a noticeable color cast and low light, raw shooting would have been more or less mandatory. And a DSLR housing with independent light is absolutely out of the question for the time being - might just have to get the Olympus because that one has a host of accessories available, but it's a bunch of money up front too.

I also saw the Lumix FT7 which should be pretty decent but it's discontinued... might have to check the bay out for it.
11-14-2021, 08:01 PM   #7

I am not personally familiar with the FT7. I would believe that both the WG and the Coolpix, as well as their other competitors, are capable of producing decent photo results. And I think in many cases the built-in color temperature settings may work fairly well.

However, in my personal case I felt like the ability to capture in RAW was a fundamental need that should be met even for an action camera, and particularly with underwater images. Similar to RAW file experience with a DSLR or mirrorless on land:
- Occasionally environmental conditions can be such that RAW file manipulation may result in very little difference being possible from the out-of-camera image regardless of efforts.
- However, most often RAW files enable a reasonable amount of latitude for adjustments, corrections, improvements or alterations.
- In some cases (or many) where underwater images may appear flat, of low or extreme contrast, having a RAW file format enables ability to return some vibrancy to the images, to adjust contrast and color temperature, to help portray atmosphere, or to emphasize the intended subject.

In regards to the Olympus TG Series it is certainly not perfect:
- The most difficult problem (to resolve) I have encountered is the purple orb under some conditions (in particular above water, sun on lens and telephoto zoom). More or less unique to the TG.
- The most frequent challenge (frustrating) I have encountered is inability to adequately see the rear screen (e.g. underwater, or above in sunlit screen conditions). More or less applicable to most non-optical viewfinder cameras.
- Web searches can find some reasonably good information, tips and settings advice for using the TG Series underwater.

11-15-2021, 12:40 AM   #8
Forum Member

I got the TG5 a while back. Rolling environmental disasters and a pandemic kinda got in the way of getting it wet. Hopefully this summer.

Can we share photos that aren't exactly from a Pentax camera here?
11-16-2021, 08:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Share away.

My diving camera was (I can’t anymore) an Olympus ZX-1, in a housing. In addition, I added a side grip and a strobe arm, all mounted on a base plate. I think the total came to around $1300USD, about 9-10 years ago. I tried a Pentax WG-1, but never got great results from it.

Unless you’re diving in the top 10m of tropical seas, you’re going to want more lights. Even then, you want to get as close to your subject as you can. Then get closer
11-16-2021, 09:03 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I used my Optio W90 for years. Since we've tried a Nikon 230, it turned out the electronic junk in less than 2 years. We are now looking at a WG 5 or 6. Pentax colours are more realistic.

Our W90 was dropped on a snow shoe hike and spent two months underwater (and was probably run over a few times) before we found it and dried it out. It still works, but, it has issues. That's the kind of dependability we like. We are currently thinking going back to the Pentax. The Nikon just never grew on us. My diving buddy from my youth built his own housing for his SLR. It sounds like a housing is the way to go for you, find a housing you like, buy the camera that goes with it.
11-16-2021, 12:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It sounds like a housing is the way to go for you, find a housing you like, buy the camera that goes with it.
Unfortunately, any housing for a camera of acceptable quality is way over budget currently. I might just postpone the entire thing until that's no longer the case, otherwise I might always have the itch of "not good enough" -.-
11-16-2021, 12:45 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Just use your K-1 in a clear garbage bag taped shut with duct tape. I don't see any problem with that
11-16-2021, 07:29 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Unfortunately, any housing for a camera of acceptable quality is way over budget currently. I might just postpone the entire thing until that's no longer the case, otherwise I might always have the itch of "not good enough" -.-
My buddy made his out of plexiglass and sealed it with silicon. I don't know how he sealed the exterior controls though. Maybe you need to invent one.
11-17-2021, 01:43 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My buddy made his out of plexiglass and sealed it with silicon. I don't know how he sealed the exterior controls though. Maybe you need to invent one.
That sounds about right. Exterior controls are usually spring-loaded pins with a double seal for the buttons, but I'd guess it's fairly complicated precision work for the e-dials. Might make for a cool project though
01-14-2022, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I saw a looks-like-new TG-5 for 200€ so I got that one. I just need the housing and it'll be good to go for a starter kit. First impressions, the macro mode is very cool!