Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2021, 05:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Composition for different media, best practice?

So, working on a composition when making photograph is actually not enough. How your photo will be seen is important as well, and this fact is drastically makes whole process more difficult. I mostly end up being disappointed by how social media and other image hosting services handle final images. Not to say anything about a horrible compression, I wish they have some kind of choice for end user to switch between viewing methods. Because, most of the time, I have to crop/recompose/resize image to fit their standards, and this, well, not all times but mostly changes mood or sense, or whatever the image was intended to deliver originally. In lightroom, along with an original image I have so called virtual copies with different parameters for different publishing services. What is your technique?

11-21-2021, 05:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a tricky problem. My approach, now and when I was selling my work, was to create a master copy first. Then decide how I was going to re-purpose an image for each output, eg print, website, social media. This different outputting includes output sharpening, colour and brightness tweaks etc. It would not include cropping. Then I'd just stick to this formula with very few exception. As print was my main purpose, this took priority. Chasing individual SM styles was too much effort and anyway I felt that it lost consistency across posts.

A big problem with any SM output is context. Re-working single shots for a Wow! impact loses any sense of a collection of photos. Photography has suffered from this individual image approach, I feel, so my mindset has evolved into collections and/or a series approach and to forget single images as irrelevant. Successful photographers have, traditionally, worked towards a curated set of photos (some genres of photography, eg photojournalism apart).

So I think individual manipulation per image per social media site is, for me, wrong. I'll stick with my original approach of a master copy, with a standard formula to output to print, website and generic SM. It brings me a more rational and manageable approach, and sense of integrity. This approach probably explains why my SM stats have always been poor ;-)

It will be interesting to see what others say ...
11-21-2021, 05:56 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a tough question. Like Barry, I start with a master image. I've built a "cheat sheet" for each SM site, with image sizes (pixels), aspect ratio (square, 16:9, etc) that the sites are happy with. During composition, I'll sometimes look for that aspect ratio in what I see in the viewfinder. I wish there was a "social media matte focusing screen". Some folks spend a lot of time on post-processing for SM, but I don't have the patience.
I also don't quite get the "I'll post a garbage image that is framed beautifully" attitude of some people, or the fake-spontanaiety of some images.
11-21-2021, 06:20 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When going though my pics I will crop if I think the photo needs it, some of those may turn out to be a square crop, which can make it an instagram candidate. I have cropped photos just for Instagram, as long as it doesn’t ruin them, but it always degrade them somewhat if the crop was unnecessary. I haven’t posted anything there in months, I find it tedious, since it was designed as a phone app. I believe I’ve seen that they now have made it easier to post from a computer, I’ll try it out when I get a chance.

11-21-2021, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Social medai - What's that!!!!!

What few pictures I post, I put on my own web site for a few selected viewers and their friends, such as the weddings and associated activities of various nieces and nephews. I get to control the format.

Otherwise, I don't care too much about informing the rest of the world about my activities.

Well, some shots here at the Forum from time to time, too. Are we social media?
11-21-2021, 06:28 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I simply ignore social media other than this forum and Flickr. Lol. I don’t post photos on Instagram, Facebook, etc. I barely use Facebook, I don’t use Instagram etc.

My square crops are square because that’s what looks right for that shot. My 16:9 or 16:10 are similarly conceived to fit a subject and mood. Some only get this treatment in post production by exploration, some I know going in before pressing the shutter release.
11-21-2021, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #7
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
This is a tricky problem. My approach, now and when I was selling my work, was to create a master copy first. Then decide how I was going to re-purpose an image for each output, eg print, website, social media. This different outputting includes output sharpening, colour and brightness tweaks etc. It would not include cropping. Then I'd just stick to this formula with very few exception. As print was my main purpose, this took priority. Chasing individual SM styles was too much effort and anyway I felt that it lost consistency across posts.

A big problem with any SM output is context. Re-working single shots for a Wow! impact loses any sense of a collection of photos. Photography has suffered from this individual image approach, I feel, so my mindset has evolved into collections and/or a series approach and to forget single images as irrelevant. Successful photographers have, traditionally, worked towards a curated set of photos (some genres of photography, eg photojournalism apart).

So I think individual manipulation per image per social media site is, for me, wrong. I'll stick with my original approach of a master copy, with a standard formula to output to print, website and generic SM. It brings me a more rational and manageable approach, and sense of integrity. This approach probably explains why my SM stats have always been poor ;-)

It will be interesting to see what others say ...
Ok, but I can say exact opposite why it is wrong to leave it as it is. Let's take some image as an example, well, just for imagination, you took an image where your main subject or point of interest is more or less 20% of whole area, but you also need to include a background to tell complete story. When you publish, this subject may look weird on mobile devices or even be impossible for viewer to recognize it at all. Only option is to crop/resize but include surrounding area as much as possible to not lose the sense of complete image. Can't be sure in case of printing though.

---------- Post added 11-21-21 at 17:44 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
That's a tough question. Like Barry, I start with a master image. I've built a "cheat sheet" for each SM site, with image sizes (pixels), aspect ratio (square, 16:9, etc) that the sites are happy with. During composition, I'll sometimes look for that aspect ratio in what I see in the viewfinder. I wish there was a "social media matte focusing screen". Some folks spend a lot of time on post-processing for SM, but I don't have the patience.
I also don't quite get the "I'll post a garbage image that is framed beautifully" attitude of some people, or the fake-spontanaiety of some images.
Yep, garbage is garbage, where ever it is!
social media matte focusing screen" is just great idea but do you think of social media when you are taking pictures? I'm not.

11-21-2021, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

How my photos will render on SM is pretty much irrelevant to me - that's not how they are meant to be seen anyway. But the question is valid regarding a collection of prints. Different sizes and formats can work together, but require forethought and/or trial and error to do so.
11-21-2021, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #9
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
When going though my pics I will crop if I think the photo needs it, some of those may turn out to be a square crop, which can make it an instagram candidate. I have cropped photos just for Instagram, as long as it doesn’t ruin them, but it always degrade them somewhat if the crop was unnecessary. I haven’t posted anything there in months, I find it tedious, since it was designed as a phone app. I believe I’ve seen that they now have made it easier to post from a computer, I’ll try it out when I get a chance.
yep, 1:1 is what I have to use mostly. 16:9 completely ruins my landscape photos if I upload them to instagram as they are.
I'm using Facebook Creator Studio to upload images to facebook/Instagram, very useful, I highly recommend.
11-21-2021, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Besides the forum, I have accounts on Flickr and 500px and recently began posting some photos on instagram. Before the later, I had never processed an image especially for SM , as I always give all the perspective on the shot itself. But it’s definitely frustrating to realize how much it compresses and affects the quality.
I have to admit that in some cases I edited the photo in their editor, just to make sure the tonality is close to the original. But my general rule is a master copy of 4-6mp resolution. It’s manageable enough.
As for cropping, every photo has its preferred ratio, but always something standard (5:7, 2:3, 4:5, 16:9 or sometimes 4:3 , 16:10), I enjoy this framing game a lot. For Instagram I create a white background (1:1 or 4:5) and give my photo some breathing space. Other than that I always sharpen for screen viewing because I don’t print that much. If I had the time and money I would definitely concentrate on printing more than anything else. It’s beautiful, rewarding and it fills my wall and photographic spirit.
11-21-2021, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If these forums count as social media then I post an occasional resized image here, cropped and processed as seemed appropriate to the image, not to suit the Pentax forums. Other social media are for looking at other photographers’ work in my book; I’m not looking for likes or followers.
11-21-2021, 07:35 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Ok, but I can say exact opposite why it is wrong to leave it as it is. Let's take some image as an example, well, just for imagination, you took an image where your main subject or point of interest is more or less 20% of whole area, but you also need to include a background to tell complete story. When you publish, this subject may look weird on mobile devices or even be impossible for viewer to recognize it at all. Only option is to crop/resize but include surrounding area as much as possible to not lose the sense of complete image. Can't be sure in case of printing though.
I've chosen to upload my Instagram images in the same 3:2 format and pop a feint, graduated border on top and bottom, therefore keeping to my master copy approach. I resize to 1080 wide and it works fine on mobile devices. You can see what I mean @barryedgeimages. <- it's a year long/weekly project and is very local in its interest, so is unlikely to appeal to the masses. I have the 3:2 images as my master for subsequent printing etc.
11-21-2021, 07:48 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I do all my processing for 3840x2160 for display on my 55 inch TV, and I use that size for pretty much everything. Keep it simple.

When we print we make the file a bit lighter to compensate for lower transmission values and less illumination. But that's not very often. My images are posted to Flickr (for here) and Facebook. Honestly, I don't think a lot about where they are going. Our slideshows of recent work run probably 20 days a year. If an image stands out from the crowd during random viewing, we'll select it for further work. But that happens maybe once every 1000 images. No sense in tiring yourself out thinking about things that can look after themselves.
11-21-2021, 07:57 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Besides the forum, I have accounts on Flickr and 500px and recently began posting some photos on instagram. Before the later, I had never processed an image especially for SM , as I always give all the perspective on the shot itself. But it’s definitely frustrating to realize how much it compresses and affects the quality.
I have to admit that in some cases I edited the photo in their editor, just to make sure the tonality is close to the original. But my general rule is a master copy of 4-6mp resolution. It’s manageable enough.
As for cropping, every photo has its preferred ratio, but always something standard (5:7, 2:3, 4:5, 16:9 or sometimes 4:3 , 16:10), I enjoy this framing game a lot. For Instagram I create a white background (1:1 or 4:5) and give my photo some breathing space. Other than that I always sharpen for screen viewing because I don’t print that much. If I had the time and money I would definitely concentrate on printing more than anything else. It’s beautiful, rewarding and it fills my wall and photographic spirit.
I let my 500px paid membership expire because I don't like the way that site is going. They really push stuff that to me is not appealing at all, technically good but no appeal.
11-21-2021, 08:48 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Technique?

About the only thing that changes between say, printing on card stock, publishing to the Web, and printing as hung art might be crop.

For capture, I compose to the subject based on mind's-eye intent with potential crops in mind.

Steve

(...am guessing that means I am unaware of a "best practice" approach and never publish to social media directly. ...)