Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Days Ago   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No Big Deals in Aus

One of Australia's most prominent camera retailers, DigiDirect, has announced its Black Friday Specials. I have bought quite a lot from them in the past, including my K1. They boast up to 40% off Nikon and Canon (not all models), 25% off Fujifilm, and 15% off Sony, Panasonic and Olympus. Pentax? Well, an exciting 5%, on a couple of cameras and most lenses.

The Pentax webstore is not running any specials this year.

Where in the supply chain are these decisions made?

4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m somewhat bemused by the adoption of the “Black Friday” tradition from the US in other countries, but that’s the Internet for you. Retailers don’t care much about the damage they do to local cultures – anything to turn a dollar.

Still, it seems CRK have decided to stay out of things this year, but probably for business reasons, rather than a burst of patriotism. Since they are not participating across the range of their products, I doubt it has anything to do with Pentax alone.
4 Days Ago   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I’m somewhat bemused by the adoption of the “Black Friday” tradition from the US in other countries
I agree.. "black friday" is now all the rage in the EU, and the best of it, it starts almost beginning of November!
Frankly, it's really hard to believe in the value of anything when everything gets discounted every other month.
Anyway... can't answer the OP question. Here in France most retailers have around 10% on Pentax gear, but that varies item by item. Even color by color: €70 off the 20-40 in black, €40 off in silver

Last edited by victordeamorin; 4 Days Ago at 01:46 AM. Reason: typo
4 Days Ago   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
One of Australia's most prominent camera retailers, DigiDirect, has announced its Black Friday Specials. I have bought quite a lot from them in the past, including my K1. They boast up to 40% off Nikon and Canon (not all models), 25% off Fujifilm, and 15% off Sony, Panasonic and Olympus. Pentax? Well, an exciting 5%, on a couple of cameras and most lenses.

The Pentax webstore is not running any specials this year.

Where in the supply chain are these decisions made?
I think the supply chain is the problem at the moment. It is taking months to get stock.

4 Days Ago   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

well , I just discovered at my local Camera shop in Perth ( Western Australia ) :
Pentax HD-DA 16-50mm f/2.8ED PLM AW Lens

@ AU$1,683.00 SAVE $297

that must be the best price i ever seen for this new Pentax toy.

---------- Post added 11-25-21 at 17:38 ----------

SALE UNTIL TUESDAY 11:58 PM (WST) 30/11/21

https://www.cameraelectronic.com.au/pentax-hd-da-16-50mm-f-2-8ed-plm-aw-lens
4 Days Ago   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
well , I just discovered at my local Camera shop in Perth ( Western Australia ) :
Pentax HD-DA 16-50mm f/2.8ED PLM AW Lens

@ AU$1,683.00 SAVE $297

that must be the best price i ever seen for this new Pentax toy.

---------- Post added 11-25-21 at 17:38 ----------

SALE UNTIL TUESDAY 11:58 PM (WST) 30/11/21

https://www.cameraelectronic.com.au/pentax-hd-da-16-50mm-f-2-8ed-plm-aw-lens
I actually wrote to them a couple of days ago and asked about the DFA 21 Limited, but had no response.
4 Days Ago   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I actually wrote to them a couple of days ago and asked about the DFA 21 Limited, but had no response.
No , they do not have it yet.
Yes , they are a bit slow with Cyber responses.
I sometimes just walk to the nearest shop to sort things out.

4 Days Ago   #8
Pentaxian

Black Friday is only marketed as you have it in the US. Here in Greece the sales range is ridiculously low. We expected sales up to 75-80% the first time BFr was adopted by the local stores, but we got an average of 15-20% , the most.
Then the second year’s BFr came.... things got wildly frustrating. You could watch the price of a specific item going up to the sky just days before, then “dropping” like 60-70%, only on the minds of a poor minority. Now we don’t really expect or welcome BFr (at least in Greece). It’s generally starting a week before and sometimes lasts for the weekend. But it’s not worth it.
Not to mention that I saw NO sales on Pentax gear, nowhere. Canon-Nikon-Sony. And not that much. Street food places have bigger BFr sales.
4 Days Ago   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BF is pretty much of a dud in the US too. Retailers constantly run “sales”all year. I was in retail 40 years ago and a regular price in soft goods was twice the price the store bought the item for. A sale was more of a sale years ago. Now a regular price is Maybe three times the wholesale price, so they can run it at 25% off and still make a nice profit. The sale price is the target. But of course electronics and other non clothing items is much different. There is not nearly the markup, and the price is including a lot of R and D.
3 Days Ago   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No , they do not have it yet.
Yes , they are a bit slow with Cyber responses.
I sometimes just walk to the nearest shop to sort things out.
I've now had a response from Camera Electronic in answer to my query about the DFA 21mm Limited. They say

In regards to the Pentax DFA 21mm f/2.4 Limited lens, unfortunately we wont be able to assist you this time as both our suppliers
are not able to get obtain this lens.

Interesting, "both" suppliers. I thought CRK was the sole importer.
3 Days Ago   #11
Pentaxian

I just discovered at my local Camera shop in Perth
They also appear to have good K3iii prices.
3 Days Ago   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
They also appear to have good K3iii prices.
and lot others , see my other post:

CR Kennedy (Australia) says no Black Friday/Cyber Monday this year - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 11-26-21 at 17:14 ----------

https://www.cameraelectronic.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=pentax
3 Days Ago   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DCexpert currently has 15% off Pentax lenses. I picked up the 16-50mm PLM for almost $300 off though it looks like those are all gone.