Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Come Together! Pentax Forum Groups

I've been a PF member for about 5 years and I've participated in threads which have been constantly updated, and many more which have sank into obscurity after a few days.

I've also participated in many Groups with other PF members. Many of them are tied to a theme, a region, or an activity. Though some have fallen into disuse, many are action on a daily or at least weekly basis.

These Groups are easy to find, and it's easy to start a new related thread within that Group. Over time, a Group becomes and enduring body of work as well as a body of knowledge.

So why don't more PF members choose to post in existing Groups, or start their own Group and encourage members with a similar interest to post there?

5 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Iím with Groucho
5 Days Ago   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I’m with Groucho
I would never belong to any group that would have someone like me as a member. Groucho said something similar.
5 Days Ago   #4
Pentaxian

I participate in several "show me your pictures" lens threads, which I find interesting and fun. They are also less likely to descend into farce than other threads. These are sort-of groups, aren't they?

5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
These are sort-of groups, aren't they?
For the purposes of this discussion, I am referring specifically and exclusively to those threads which are found under the "Groups" section.
5 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Iím with Groucho
LOL, I'm old enough to remember watching "You Bet Your Life" on television and I agree, I wouldn't belong to a group that allowed Groucho as a member either.

On Topic, I belong to three groups, Birding, K50 users, and Wildlife & Nature but I haven't been active at all. Thanks for the reminder, I need to do better.
4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I would never belong to any group that would have someone like me as a member. Groucho said something similar.
Groucho Marx's quote is "I donít want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." There seems to be some disagreement as to what club it was. Some say the Friars Club, some say the Delaney Club. According to his son in a book about his father, it was the Hillcrest Country Club.

I too am old enough to remember Groucho and his You Bet Your Life quiz show with announcer George Fenneman and the duck with the secret word. It was all great fun.

4 Days Ago   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
So why don't more PF members choose to post in existing Groups, or start their own Group and encourage members with a similar interest to post there?
I think partly because the groups are a little more hidden and not in the open. Personally, I'm not super fond of them for discussing photography topics, but I think they are a great for grouping and organizing events within a geographical area - or they work well to for challenges such as the Single In.
4 Days Ago   #9
Pentaxian

This is the first time I've realised there's a difference between Groups and long lived threads. I thought I was in a few groups but I'm only in Daily Challenge by the Month (DIC) whereas for example Post your B&W Film is a thread with legs and not a group at all. Who knew?
4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, I belong to the National Capitol group, but with covid it's been dormant.
4 Days Ago   #11
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Well, I belong to the National Capitol group, but with covid it's been dormant.
I am the same. On the positive side, I've been working remotely due to COVID policies in the NCR, with the disadvantage of less opportunity for short lunch time of afternoon photo excursions there when business travel permits. Since I live over two hours away, I just can't muster up enough reason to venture into Mordor..
4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am the same. On the positive side, I've been working remotely due to COVID policies in the NCR, with the disadvantage of less opportunity for short lunch time of afternoon photo excursions there when business travel permits. Since I live over two hours away, I just can't muster up enough reason to venture into Mordor..
Mordor! LOL! Yeah, our museum looks like it's going to go into some semi permanent remote work situations for those whose work is all computer anyway. So we're kinda half-staffed in the building right now. Traffic's back up to pre-covid levels, but that's a lot to do with the bad Metro situation, and others not wanting to risk the commuter trains. I take the MARC from Baltimore, and it's mostly empty. Used to be standing room only after Odenton in the mornings. In town it remains noticeably quieter, but there's more people about now than last year at this time when you could have shot cannons off on the Mall and not hit anyone.
4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I posted in the Carolina Pentaxians group a couple days ago. I'm also a member of the K-5 Owners, K10D Users, and Birding group. I assume there's a KP owners group too, but haven't looked. I don't get many activity notifications from these groups, but always check them out when they show up.
3 Days Ago - 3 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been a PF member for about 5 years
According to your join date it is closer to ten years.
Time flies when you're having fun.
2 Days Ago   #15
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sqideyes Quote
According to your join date it is closer to ten years.
Time flies when you're having fun.
Indeed it does. IIRC, I bought my first Pentax DSLR in 2013, and joined PF not long after. If I'd started a group way back then to discuss this topic and other related to digital photography , imagine how much knowledge might be compiled in one spot, rather than scattered across numerous long buried and forgotten threads.