Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 75 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2021, 08:47 AM   #46

I have always sold bodies and optics when I changed system, and in 45 years of photography I have changed many, but always keeping at least two camera bodies. Now in addition to the K1 and its lenses, I also use a Canon R with some lenses, mainly zoom.

12-03-2021, 09:25 AM - 2 Likes   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-70 for small lenses.

K-3 II + battery grip for big lenses.
12-03-2021, 09:46 AM - 3 Likes   #48
Pentaxian

I go out with 2 bodies all the time now, even for longer hikes. K3 with the DA*300+TC and K1 with something appropriate for landscapes or people. Both have Peak Design clips so one can hang from my belt and the other from my chest. I can quickly just clip one in and grab the other.

I also have 2 near perfect condition K5's and a K100D Super that took an unfortunate fall but still works. They aren't worth much if I sell and since my kids like to shoot too I can hand them a K5 to use with no worry if they mishandle or drop it, but they don't they are actually quite careful.
12-03-2021, 09:46 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I keep all my Pentax digital bodies: K-01, K5IIs, KP, Q-7, and Q-S1. K-5IIs mostly with 42mm screw adapter, K-01 with 15mm and 35 limited, KP for the rest. Q when I like to go light with 5-15 on Q-7 and Q-S1 with prime or some C-mount lens. But for travel I usually take one camera: KP with 18-135 or Q-7 with 5-15.

Last edited by jumbleview; 12-03-2021 at 09:52 AM.
12-03-2021, 09:48 AM - 2 Likes   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a rarely used K-3 which I kept as a backup to K-1. K-3 is surplus to requirements. Unwanted. Unloved. But you know what? Occasionally, when I decide to take it out I get some of my best shots. Why? Because, I'm not precious about it. I have a 50-135 & 16-50 (which are weather sealed) and these lenses make a robust and more adventurous combinations than my carefully looked after FF gear. So 'unlove' the second body and let it fly ...
12-03-2021, 10:49 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, I've had at least 2 cameras for decades now. Different purposes, different cameras. I have fewer bodies now than I used to, but today my K1mkII not only is its own purpose camera, but also serving as my backup camera if I have a problem with my 645Z. I also have a second generation WG for fishing, but haven't used it in a long time.
12-03-2021, 10:52 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes. I had a K-5 then a K-1, loved having two bodies to avoid lens swaps. The K-5 was damaged so After a few years I replaced it with a KP to go along with the K-1, or when I want a compact single camera and lens. I really like having two DSLR options for certain situations..

12-03-2021, 11:24 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-1 is my main camera, and I keep my K-5 with the DA * 16-50mm SDM version attached and at the ready.
12-03-2021, 11:26 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No. I keep several... I may have a problem.
12-03-2021, 11:53 AM   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I often regret not having acquired such, particularly when a flippy or articulated screen (lacking on my K-3) would be nice.

Steve
12-03-2021, 12:07 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Yes, I've had at least 2 cameras for decades now. Different purposes, different cameras. I have fewer bodies now than I used to, but today my K1mkII not only is its own purpose camera, but also serving as my backup camera if I have a problem with my 645Z. I also have a second generation WG for fishing, but haven't used it in a long time.
Do you have separate backup lenses as well or do you have an adapter?
12-03-2021, 01:24 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have had two bodies for a long time. Back in the late eighties I bought a Super A to back up my LX. Zoom lenses were mostly dreadful back then, so my bag was an all prime affair. I was doing a lot of sport then and swapping lenses often meant missing a shot.

These days I have two Samsung NX-1 bodies, one with battery grip. I don't really need two of them that much but they were cheap. And if one breaks, it becomes a paper weight or door stop as spare are literally made out of unobtanium. Might as well have two.

On the K mount side I currently have a K-x (sadly in need of TLC) as well as a K200D and a *ist DL. I might get a used KP sometime in the future.
12-03-2021, 01:43 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I became used to using 2 cameras back in film days - MX and SPII. First DSLR bought 2007, a K100D, which didn't get a lot of use due to battery problems not overcome until much later. K30 and K50 followed as I wanted to get back to having 2 bodies generally similar. Later bought two K-3ii bodies once I became aware of ABF.

Why? The K-3iis are my normal use cameras enabling two focal length zooms to be immediately available reducing lens changing. The 2nd hand value of the older cameras is modest, so they are worth keeping as backups or to use in circumstances in which the camera might be damaged - wet or sandy environments, for example.

The older cameras are still used from time to time, the K50 being self-repaired after ABF.

Colin
12-03-2021, 02:13 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
...and a third, and a fourth, and a fifth....
Yep...this.
12-03-2021, 02:45 PM   #60

Photos: Albums
I sold my K-5 to a friend so that I could justify buying the K-5iis and I have part exchanged a 645n plus 7 lenses so that could acquire the K-1 and 4 lenses, but I haven't been able to part with any other Pentax cameras or lenses and now have more than I will admit to.

My currently in-use cameras are the K-1, the K-3ii and the K-70 and each has a very different purpose. I would happily have exchanged the latter two if the K-3iii had integral GPS and a fold out rear screen but it was not to be so I will continue with my existing set up.

It would be disingenuous to say any of my cameras are backup cameras, it's just that I haven't the heart to see them go. It all started with an MX when I was a student but perhaps it is time for me to sell most so that others can have the enjoyment of using them.