Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 75 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2021, 03:29 PM - 2 Likes   #76
Pentaxian

I have all my cameras.....right from #1, my Pentax S1a, purchased in February of 1968. I love 'em all.

12-04-2021, 05:08 PM - 2 Likes   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’ve never sold anything,

I have a KX, Ricoh XR2s, PZ1, *istD, K10, K7, K5, and K1MKII

In the film days I ran different film in each body, with digital I use the mix of different bodies and crop vs full frame to cover wide angle and telephoto, dedicated MF bodies and even a dedicated M42 body.

Normally I travel with the K1 and K5 today. Different lens on each so I switch bodies not lenses
12-05-2021, 03:29 AM   #78
Pentaxian

The only digital camera I've ever bought but no longer have is my Sony DSC-H1, which I gave to my brother and sister in law after I got my K200D. I think they only ever used it once and then it had problems recognising that the batteries in it were charged (just like my K200D).
12-05-2021, 05:04 AM   #79
Closed Account

Original Poster
The only camera I now regret selling was a Mamiya C3 but I sold it a long time ago for £60 which is what I bought it for. At the time I had access to a host of other cameras so it was unused. The only other camera I wish I still had was the om2, stolen out my car along with the rucksack it was it in as I nipped into a shop.

12-05-2021, 06:58 AM   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Still have all 3 I bought - *istD, K-7, K-1. K-7 currently standing in for K-1 which is off for repair and is baffling the techs. I also have 2 Qs just in case.
12-05-2021, 08:51 AM - 2 Likes   #81
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
Do you keep a 2nd body
Absolutely... failure is not an option it's part of redundant protection... "the duplication of critical components or functions of a system with the intention of increasing reliability of the system, usually in the form of a backup or fail-safe, or to improve actual system performance"
12-05-2021, 11:42 AM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Absolutely... failure is not an option it's part of redundant protection... "the duplication of critical components or functions of a system with the intention of increasing reliability of the system, usually in the form of a backup or fail-safe, or to improve actual system performance"
I have always carried two cameras for the reason you elucidate. I learned this the hard way. I was at a outdoor vintage vehicle show, and my batteries ran out of juice. Both of them, including the 'spare' in the battery grip. I had inadvertently left the K10D's camera battery system on the setting, where both batteries were being used. I usually make sure the setting is on
'body', then when it runs out, I switch it to the other setting...'grip'.

I should of known better, as my first vehicles ('61 VW Beetle, '60's Jawa, CZ motorcycles) had no fuel gauge, but did have a lever to switch to reserve.

Anyway, after the battery debacle on my K10D, I always ensured I carried a second body, usually hidden away in my vehicle, where it was ready for service, if need be, but could not be seen by other's eyes....eye's that are usually beady. prying and up to no good.

12-05-2021, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have always carried two cameras for the reason you elucidate. I learned this the hard way. I was at a outdoor vintage vehicle show, and my batteries ran out of juice. Both of them, including the 'spare' in the battery grip. I had inadvertently left the K10D's camera battery system on the setting, where both batteries were being used. I usually make sure the setting is on
'body', then when it runs out, I switch it to the other setting...'grip'.

I should of known better, as my first vehicles ('61 VW Beetle, '60's Jawa, CZ motorcycles) had no fuel gauge, but did have a lever to switch to reserve.

Anyway, after the battery debacle on my K10D, I always ensured I carried a second body, usually hidden away in my vehicle, where it was ready for service, if need be, but could not be seen by other's eyes....eye's that are usually beady. prying and up to no good.
I know this will sound silly but why not just carry an extra battery?
12-05-2021, 01:41 PM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I know this will sound silly but why not just carry an extra battery?
I had two batteries in my K10D...one in the body, one in the grip. It's beyond losing battery power, other malfunctions can happen to a camera...so if you got an extra body, why not take it with you. My car was parked within walking distance of the spare body.
12-05-2021, 03:16 PM   #85
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
for the reason you elucidate
Precisely...
12-06-2021, 03:59 AM - 2 Likes   #86
Closed Account

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for their input, plus it was a good thread to boost your competition entries eh

Having read everyone's contributions, I think I fall into the category that doesn't need a 2nd camera or a backup, so I will probably sell it at some point. I haven't quite decided where that camera budget money will go back into but I've a better idea than I had. Going to keep an eye out for a 2nd hand mz-5n to replace my mz-10 and I'm currently deficient in the film scanner department and I have a lot of old film and slides. My Dimage Scan Dual hasn't functioned in some time and my macro lens rig only goes so far in the resolution stakes, good for seeing what I have and quick to use but that's where it ends and a scanner is needed. Probably try and pick up a newer Plustek or an older Coolscan.
12-06-2021, 09:08 PM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad to hear it. My K3 has only been out of the case a couple random times after acquiring the KP. It will be hitting the marketplace in the near future. While i won't get a lot of money for it, rather have someone use it than collect dust.

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
Thanks to everyone for their input, plus it was a good thread to boost your competition entries eh

Having read everyone's contributions, I think I fall into the category that doesn't need a 2nd camera or a backup, so I will probably sell it at some point. I haven't quite decided where that camera budget money will go back into but I've a better idea than I had. Going to keep an eye out for a 2nd hand mz-5n to replace my mz-10 and I'm currently deficient in the film scanner department and I have a lot of old film and slides. My Dimage Scan Dual hasn't functioned in some time and my macro lens rig only goes so far in the resolution stakes, good for seeing what I have and quick to use but that's where it ends and a scanner is needed. Probably try and pick up a newer Plustek or an older Coolscan.
12-14-2021, 02:55 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a bunch of cameras but mainly use two
The primary is my KP but when taking pics for my sons sports my wife will be up in the stands with our old Kr while I am on the field with the KP
12-21-2021, 11:51 AM - 3 Likes   #89

Yes. Under the patio.
12-23-2021, 06:37 PM   #90
Pentaxian

Yes, I definitely have a back-up — several in fact, some of which never get any use: a K200D, and a couple of K-5iis.