Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-09-2021, 04:26 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My Personal Adorama Shopper

Has anyone done any business with Adorama recently? I ordered a lens yesterday. Today I get an email from someone claiming to be my Adorama Personal Shopper and wants me to contact them about my order as they have a question. So naturally I'm thinking scam or possibly someone somewhere has been hacked. Adorama won't confirm or deny it's legit. I do a search online and found other people recently with the same experience. Anyone else run into this? Regardless, I'll be keeping an eye on the bank account for awhile.

12-09-2021, 04:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Did you call them and ask?
12-09-2021, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
Has anyone done any business with Adorama recently? I ordered a lens yesterday. Today I get an email from someone claiming to be my Adorama Personal Shopper and wants me to contact them about my order as they have a question. So naturally I'm thinking scam or possibly someone somewhere has been hacked. Adorama won't confirm or deny it's legit. I do a search online and found other people recently with the same experience. Anyone else run into this? Regardless, I'll be keeping an eye on the bank account for awhile.
Did they give a name? If so did you do an online search for the name? They are probably just trying get you buy more things. How did you contact Adorama to them to neither deny nor confirm? That seems odd.
12-09-2021, 05:48 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
They are probably just trying get you buy more things.
Agreed, either that or they are trying to verify payment/billing/shipping information.

If they know the order number and your name, it's probably legit.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-09-2021, 05:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same here cdd29. I placed an order about 3 weeks back and before the order was delivered, I got a call from Joshua. It was legit and Joshua was an Adorama rep following up on my order. He had the specifics of my order and wasn't pushy or trying to promote anything other than future business with Adorama (and of course trying to promote sales). The implication was that if I needed anything they might be able to search out any deals but I haven't tried the service since that order. Nice touch.
12-09-2021, 06:51 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I tried calling Adorama, just in case there was a hack somewhere but the lady I spoke with didn't speak very good English, didn't seem to understand what I was talking about and then hung up (that pissed me off.) I did some digging and found the gal that sent the email listed in a few places online and is an employee of a company based out of New York that has many subsidiaries and different fields including retail (though Adorama wasn't mentioned.) Just seemed pretty sketchy. I've bought a few other things from Adorama in the last few months but never got any follow up like this. Guess it's something new they're doing.
12-09-2021, 07:01 PM   #7

I order a filter from them , and now have a personal shopper. Get regular e-mails on offers.

12-09-2021, 07:46 PM   #8

I had that happen with Adorama back in the late 1990s or early 2000s. I had even placed the order over the phone but had a call back from them before shipping.

Fast forward to the present - last Sunday I placed the online order for a K1 II and it was processed and shipped out Monday and arrived on Tuesday with zero additional contact.

TLDR: Adorama has been doing a version of this for a long time, but not with every order. YMMV.
12-10-2021, 03:09 AM   #9
Pentaxian

About ten years ago there was a customer rep called Helen Oster who would respond to all customer queries. Whenever I would email from Sydney I'd get a quick reply. She never appeared to sleep. She resolved a few difficulties for me. It looks like Helen's service role has been replaced by personnel with a sales role. I haven't bought anything from Adorama since Helen left. Great service is the best way to maintain customer loyalty.
12-10-2021, 03:14 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had this happen twice with them. The last one was when I ordered my KP, which ended up being delivered without a couple of things it was suppose to have in the kit. My personal shopper resolved it quickly as they had shipped me the wrong kit. Great customer service.
12-10-2021, 04:45 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe they are just outsourcing this stuff?
12-10-2021, 05:19 AM   #12
dlhawes

I just recently bought a bunch of stuff from them including a very nice used Canon 90d and four boxes of Canon A2 photo paper, and I've been buying stuff from then since about 2012 or so, I think. I've never had the experience y'all have described. If it is something they normally do, perhaps it's because the only phone number I give them is a copper-wire landline with one of those "dial 9 to connect" things to dissuade spam-calls. Or maybe because I tend to buy expensive stuff from them (I prefer my local and struggling brick-and-mortar store that can't afford Adorama's inventory), I've met their quota of how much each consumer ought to be spending, so people who only buy an occasional Arca mounting plate don't spend enough, so they need more encouragement to spend more money.
12-10-2021, 09:42 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
I wouldn't worry about it. Check your order on their website and if everything looks fine just don't answer.
I've received those emails sometimes after buying from them. To me, it looks that they have an automated email system to simulate "personal support".
12-10-2021, 01:27 PM   #14
Pentaxian

It is a curse of the modern world that we suspect everyone and everything, always.
12-11-2021, 06:43 AM   #15
dlhawes

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
It is a curse of the modern world that we suspect everyone and everything, always.
What's worse is that there are good reasons for the suspicions. It's those humans! They're so busy "eating of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil" ("I like it, so I'm gonna do it."), they don't have peace, and they don't feel they can afford to be socially responsible. Seventeenth Century Bedouins in Northern Afghanistan routinely raided commercial transports going between Palestine and East Asia, because they were living in a stinking desert, with very little in the way of natural resources. I think many people in the U.S. (at least in sufficient numbers to be dangerous) feel the same way - because of their life-circumstances, they are made to feel that they have no resources of their own, so they are reduced to trying to take what other people have. Pitiful, really.