Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2021, 08:36 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I almost always carry a camera with me (aside from my phone), but don't often find myself using it unless I went out specifically for that purpose. I have an assortment of bags (and camera gear) to use depending on situation. I will usually carry either a K-1ii, Olympus E-M1ii, or Panasonic GX9 (largest to smallest as appropriate for the larger to smaller bags).

For work I have an ONA Brixton and Prince St (purchased on fairly deep discount, because that price, yikes!) - I like that they don't look much like camera bags. That said, I've hardly been in the office at all over the past 18 months, and have instead worked from home. The Brixton will swallow my K-1ii quite easily, and perhaps a smaller camera as well. In the Prince St I will usually carry the E-M1 or GX9.

For more casual carry (eg walking about the neighbourhood, or heading to the grocery store) I use ONA Bowery or Lowepro Passport sling.

A more serious excursion will see me carry either a Lowepro Protactic 450AW or Vanguard Alta Sky 51D (often with two cameras, maybe a drone, and a tripod or monopod).

For cycling (mtn bike, but not on tricky trails) I'll usually carry as small Tenba camera bag inside an Ortlieb Ultimate Six Plus handlebar bag. Beware the errant tree root, as I once had the camera bag and the GX9 it held jump out of the handlebar bag and land on the ground in front of the bike. Camera was fortunately fine. Haven't ridden for a while owing to a pinched nerve, but will get back to it over the next few weeks (and maybe figure out a better way of restraining the lid on the handlebar bag).

Often taking a camera needs a bit of forethought, so my Bowery is always hanging on the door with GX9 inside. I just grab it and go.

12-15-2021, 11:05 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always bring my equipment with me unless I put it in the trunk. A friend always had an 8X10 view camera in his trunk. It is always good to have your camera.
12-16-2021, 12:31 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
I have a big orange Lowepro bag that looks more like a soft cooler than a camera bag.
I think I may have that same bag. A squarish sort of bright orange bag. Pretty decent!

I don't leave anything visible in my car, ever. I even hide the phone charger and cable. As the police here say, even a phone charger is worth a $5 bag at the drug house. People will steal anything, even three quarters on the console. And the window that gets broken is worth $200.

When I was in the office, I carried a shoulder bag and brought it into the office every day. That way, I had the camera with me, which was the point. It stayed in a cabinet in my office when not in use, then rode home with me. Unless you have to, my advice is to bring the camera into wherever you are, even a restaurant for lunch or dinner. Sometimes, you may even end up using it.
12-16-2021, 12:42 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I'm carrying a camera I always take it with me. Never leave any gear in the trunk or in the car as I know and have also heard too many horrifying stories...

12-16-2021, 05:12 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now ill have to decide if I get a hard case or a bag...leaving it in the car, security wise, won't be a huge issue while I am at work. Maybe this decision would be easier too if I chose to leave the 55-300 on the camera instead of the 150-450.... The only lenses I have are the 18-135, 55-300plm, 150-450 and the 40mm xs. I'm holding out for the 77mm for when I can spend the money.

---------- Post added 12-16-21 at 07:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote

Your Owl shots were nice, great opportunity, glad you were able to make it work.
Thanks! I took quite a few just to make sure I got something. Plus, since the new lens worked so well, no processing of the photos after the fact, the wife was impressed and agreed with me that the 150-450 was worth the money So when I told the wife I needed to delete some of the photos we won't use, she disagreed and wants to keep all 400+.....ugh....

Last edited by dirwood; 12-16-2021 at 05:22 AM.
12-16-2021, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love the oil stain!!

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
When I was taking my camera to work daily, I built a nondescript cardboard box to keep it in instead of any fancy-looking camera bag. My car doesn't have a trunk, so hiding it in plain sight was the idea. The box had a towel and some shipping foam I had saved on the inside, cleverly arranged to make the camera fit snugly. Then I made the box look a little beat up on the outside, including an oil stain.
I still have my camera, so I guess it worked.

oil stain is the perfect finishing touch!
12-16-2021, 10:54 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I believe I found the bag I will get at some point after Christmas.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1509729-REG/think_tank_photo_710469_u...waAuhEEALw_wcB

Should work well for the K70 plus 150-450.

12-17-2021, 01:10 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use a smallish Lowepro backpack that doesn't look like a camera bag for my normal everyday use. The bottom is the camera compartment and the top half is one big open compartment, donut can sort of be used for other small stuff too. I'm not overly worried about security where I park, so I leave it in the car most days.
Kristian
12-17-2021, 03:26 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a very small bag, just big enough for a K-1 and DA 40 XS, or the KP and small prime for urban exploring and walk arounds, otherwise I have a holster for the K-1 and lens of choice which I grab and go on my way out the door.
I use a sling bag for easy hikes or walk arounds with two DSLRs. I've bought a camera bag insert to dedicated space for a DSLR in a bag filled with the necessaries for longer hikes or overnight camping.
12-17-2021, 06:18 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I think I may have that same bag. A squarish sort of bright orange bag. Pretty decent!
I think I have that bag, too. Bought it a few years back when it was on sale for a great price.
12-17-2021, 12:33 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a think tank retrospective 7 and always have my KP, my sic lens and a film camera with me, just in case. If I am very lucky, I can also fit my sandwiches in
12-17-2021, 12:43 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
take a kit everyday w me. at the office the camera sits atop my desk. lucky to have my own office... I even have a camping cot there in case some ZZZ's loom.
12-17-2021, 01:11 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just bought this bag, Think Tank Airport Antidote V2, used for $100. Looks to be in great shape, just a few scratches and no stains or anything. Seems to be about a $200 bag new. Should work well and easy enough to carry in and out of work plus my lunch
12-17-2021, 04:22 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
I have a big orange Lowepro bag that looks more like a soft cooler than a camera bag.

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I think I have that bag, too. Bought it a few years back when it was on sale for a great price.
Yep, the LowePro Nova Sport 35L, regularly about $100 or sale for $14.95 w/free shipping. I got the 17L on a similar sale. I wish I'd bought a couple more.