Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2021, 07:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Daily Drive and gear

I was wondering. How many folks take their gear with them almost everywhere they go, including work?

Do you leave your gear in the vehicle or take it into work with you?

What kind of case, if any, do you leave it in if you leave it in your vehicle?

Do you worry about how hot the car may get in the summer or how cold in the winter?

Just thoughts I had yesterday since I took off from work early to get the snowy owl photo but I had to stop home first (30min drive) to get my camera and lens. My wife works at the same place and on the same shift so she couldn't meet me half way or anything.

12-15-2021, 07:49 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
During work hours usually I leave it in the trunk in a camera Bag, never had issues . Keep it out of view against thieves is a bigger concern.
12-15-2021, 07:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Always take it with me and leave it in my work locker, soft laptop style bag for protection.
12-15-2021, 08:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I always have a camera, but the camera is rotating. Mostly getting around by bicycle, carrying a shoulder bag on short trips or in a pannier if it's longer. When driving i tend to still bring a small kit, if a little more than when cycling

12-15-2021, 08:21 AM   #5

My k33 and the new 16-50 go everywhere with me now, too many times I've missed a good opportunity because I left my kit at home...
12-15-2021, 08:31 AM - 2 Likes   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

always carry a rig with me...

I've been wfh for the last nearly-two years, so no office time for me, but when I was there, my rig was in a Domke bag and in the bottom drawer in my desk ..
12-15-2021, 08:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

If you're worried about the heat affecting your gear when it's in your car, you can always put it in an ice chest to help insulate it from weather extremes. I always carry a camera to work with me. It's varied over the years, but lately I've been carrying a Lumix LX100.

12-15-2021, 09:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Perhaps not a direct answer to the question, but lately I have been VERY happy that I left my K-1 home while on business trip to Brussels -- when my small luggage got stolen on the train, including laptop and wallet.
I had been considering taking the camera with just 1 lens as a social event involving a tour of the city centre at night was planned. I decided against to keep the load minimal (and to avoid looking like a geek towards my colleagues), and I am so thankful for that!

My message is, I guess, depending on the part of the world you're in: if you're leaving expensive stuff in your car all day, probably worry more about potential robbery than about heat.
12-15-2021, 09:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When I was taking my camera to work daily, I built a nondescript cardboard box to keep it in instead of any fancy-looking camera bag. My car doesn't have a trunk, so hiding it in plain sight was the idea. The box had a towel and some shipping foam I had saved on the inside, cleverly arranged to make the camera fit snugly. Then I made the box look a little beat up on the outside, including an oil stain.
I still have my camera, so I guess it worked.
12-15-2021, 09:38 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, seems everyone brings there camera everywhere I think I'll look for a nice bag that can double as my lunch bag. Then I can just carry that into my office and put in my locker. As far as the heat and cold are concerned, I was just wondering if those will have negative affects on the camera or lens..I'm assuming the only thing I would have to worry about is the life of the battery.
12-15-2021, 09:40 AM   #11
Lev
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Do you leave your gear in the vehicle or take it into work with you?
I'd rather die than leave my ger in the vehicle!

QuoteQuote:
Do you worry about how hot the car may get in the summer or how cold in the winter?
The photography equipment, especially Pentax WR bodies feel perfectly either in cold or very hot weather, unless you SUDDENLY change environment, eg from very cold street to warm room. You have to adopt, otherwise condensation may happen.
12-15-2021, 09:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I usually have my ancient 12MP fuji in the center console of my truck.

The nicer cameras are other go into the office with me or stay at home if I don’t have a reason to take them out.
12-15-2021, 12:06 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dirwood Quote
I was wondering. How many folks take their gear with them almost everywhere they go, including work?Do you leave your gear in the vehicle or take it into work with you?
I'm retired but if I was working I'd take the bag with me and bring it inside. As far as leaving it in the car it depends on where I park. Where I live there are areas where I wouldn't have a concern and others where I would (big time).

What kind of case, if any, do you leave it in if you leave it in your vehicle?
I have a big orange Lowepro bag that looks more like a soft cooler than a camera bag.

Yes, I would worry about both. No cameras but I have had things damaged from heat in the car and with cold the problem is taking it from cold to warm quickly, which may cause every surface in the camera to condense moisture.
12-15-2021, 06:16 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some people use a diaper bag for camera gear. And to go along with that Aerostich.com used to sell a fake diaper that looked like it was full of "brown stuff" that you put just inside the top of the bag. I just checked their website and it appears they no longer sell it. Aerostich.com
12-15-2021, 08:15 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've got a small Domke bag that I carry back and forth to the office, It sits under my desk during the day,
I walk, bus and ferry back and forth, so no place in between to leave it and no worries about it. It's with/on me all day. If I go out for a site visit, it comes with me.
Usually a body, with a couple overlapping zooms and fill the corners with a couple small primes, often one fast and one wide, but sometimes others.
Now that I'm doing it with a K3III, I may need to think about a flash, even though I rarely used the pop-up flash on my other bodies.
Though the high ISO on it is so good, I may not really need it.

Your Owl shots were nice, great opportunity, glad you were able to make it work.