Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 107 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2021, 12:44 AM   #61
Veteran Member

I’m a bit cautious but will admit to taking photos of people without their expressed written permission. I’m a little slow with MF so when I do street photography it’s typically Auto focus, aperture priority. Quick and not dramatic about it.
I will purposely avoid people who reason to be sensitive such as homeless and other vulnerable looking people.

Glad it worked out for you. As I’m sure has been said above, he’d get a kick out of a print of your photo.

12-30-2021, 08:52 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

What I find really interesting is that these days, if you're taking photos with a phone, no-one gives you a second thought... not that guy in the barber shop, or the folks I met in the park. No-one cares... After all, it's "just a phone", everyone owns one, and you see kids taking photos and videos with them every day, so an adult doing the same is barely any different. But when you use a "real" camera, folks notice that and react differently...
Thank 9/11 and the security theater that grew out of the dear leaders trying to make it look like they were doing something.

Note the camera is the second thing listed under suspicious activity.
I recall seeing a security theater poster that singled out photographers specifically. I believe it was a guy taking pictures at an airport of planes taking off and landing or some such.

That was the beginning of the end for being left alone to do any sort of street photography, or photography of any kind that involved being within sight of anyone.

The do it for the children brigade picked up the ball and ran with it. After all, the guy with a camera is already a suspicious person ( see above for why), it's not a big leap to pin the pedophile label on him and chase him out of the park.

And now that the army of Karens have taken up the torch as well, people with real cameras have become social pariahs.
12-30-2021, 09:26 AM   #63
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Thank 9/11 and the security theater that grew out of the dear leaders trying to make it look like they were doing something.

Note the camera is the second thing listed under suspicious activity.
I recall seeing a security theater poster that singled out photographers specifically. I believe it was a guy taking pictures at an airport of planes taking off and landing or some such.

That was the beginning of the end for being left alone to do any sort of street photography, or photography of any kind that involved being within sight of anyone.

The do it for the children brigade picked up the ball and ran with it. After all, the guy with a camera is already a suspicious person ( see above for why), it's not a big leap to pin the pedophile label on him and chase him out of the park.

And now that the army of Karens have taken up the torch as well, people with real cameras have become social pariahs.
Before long, the only thing we'll be allowed to photograph is our cats. Some folks have a head start (I may have dabbled myself)

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-30-2021 at 09:31 AM.
12-30-2021, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I did take a shot and hop immediately on a departing light rail train as the subjects hurled insults and threats from across another set of tracks and intervening street.
He who snaps and runs away, lives to snap another day

12-30-2021, 10:30 AM   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
He who snaps and runs away, lives to snap another day

Steve
12-30-2021, 10:43 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Before long, the only thing we'll be allowed to photograph is our cats. Some folks have a head start (I may have dabbled myself)
At some point we will either have to assert our rights or risk losing them. Neither is something I look forward to. I'm not much for people photography, but I have been questioned a couple of times at the side of the road because some landowner didn't like my camera facing his property.
An old friend of mine was accosted by the police on several occasions both in urban and rural areas for the crime of using a camera in public.
He got to the point he went looking for it because it made his day to get free rent in some idiot's head.