Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 107 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2021, 10:10 AM - 19 Likes   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The one time I break one of my own rules in photography, it backfires - sort of...

This afternoon I went for a walk around town with my Olympus Trip 35 - a camera I've owned for a few years, but never used. I hadn't planned to take photos of anything specific... this was really just an opportunity to get comfortable with shooting with the camera, its viewfinder framing, zone focusing etc, and to try my first ever roll of Fomapan 400. So, I was pretty indescriminate with regard to subjects... I took some photos of Front Street (the main street), various shops, pubs, churches, a few odd little alley-ways etc. I'm sure you folks know the kind of stuff I mean. Anyway, one rule I have in my photography is that I generally don't take photos of people - especially without their permission - for a couple of reasons: (1) I don't like having my own photo taken, so I assume others will feel the same; (2) related to point 1, I don't like unnecessary confrontation... I'm no shrinking violet, but in all aspects of my life these days, I like to stay in the background, be the nice guy that no-one has any trouble with, never be the one to annoy others...

So as I'm walking down towards the bottom end of Front Street, I see a Turkish barber's shop, and through the window I see one of the barbers cutting a guy's hair. It looked like an interesting (if not particularly original) scene, and almost without thinking I lifted the camera to my eye, snapped off the shot, and walked away. After a few seconds I hear a voice behind me... "Hey!... Hey!!". I turn around, and there's the barber. He looks Turkish, or maybe Cypriot, but could be from elsewhere in that region. He definitely looks unhappy "What was that? What are you doing?", he asks, not sounding too friendly about it. "Hi there. I'm just trying out an old camera I bought and taking a few photos around town", I reply. "Why? Why this shop?", he demands. At this point, I'm thinking he could be (a) working illegally, (b) claiming benefits, yet working for cash on the side, (c) expecting his landlord to kick him out for back rent, or any number of other reasons. "I saw the shop and thought it looked cool, that's all. No other reason. It's a hobby, and I'm just trying out this old camera from the 1970s", I explain, and offer the camera to him so he can examine it. I figure the fact that it's so old and clearly not digital might convince him I'm no private investigator, and not from Immigration Enforcement or the Department of Work & Pensions, or some other government agency. He takes the camera and looks it over, at which point I'm thinking "Did I do the right thing here? He might smash it on the ground, or throw it at me" (it is, after all, fairly heavy and made of metal )... but I figure it's just an old camera, and it's not the end of the world if he breaks it. Then he smiles a little as he hands it back to me and says, "Why are you using that instead of your phone?", and we end up having a very brief but quite pleasant conversation about film cameras and film in general having a resurgence, and how I've just started developing my own film at home Finally, he says "You know, I charge for photos!", and I reply, "If it makes any money, I'll split it with you!". We shake hands, and I go on my way

It was a minor issue with a nice outcome... but it reminded me of why, as a general rule, I don't photograph people - at least, not without asking. Some folks just don't like it, or have other reasons why they don't want to be immortalised on film or digital file... and it's really none of my business what those reasons might be. Of course, I could have explained that it was perfectly legal for me to take photos of his shop with him in the window - but I don't want any friction. This is my hobby... it's for enjoyment... and it's challenging enough without having to deal with irate subjects.

Anyway, we parted in a friendly manner... but I don't think I'll be going there for a shave or haircut any time soon, though. I have my doubts about the place now

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-21-2021 at 03:39 PM.
12-18-2021, 10:25 AM - 2 Likes   #2

Yeah, you were doing the usual street photography stuff. Most people ignore this kind of thing but then there are those who react for various reasons (bad hair day, indigestion, unpleasant disposition, former bad experience, etc). Anyway, I also do not like to grab casual shots of people without asking permission unless I'm in a crowded place. That is just my comfort level.
12-18-2021, 10:34 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Turkish barbers, where have they all come from. Two have opened in our town/village in the last 12 months, traditional ear singeing and nose waxing are on the menu. Can't say I fancy it much but they are open 7 days a week, early to late.

But that's a by the by, like you I don't do people or street for similar reasons, I'd rather not have my camera shoved somewhere the sun don't shine, it's another reason I carry my camera at arms length rather than around my neck. That said most of my interactions are pleasant. I was challenged once a long time ago taking a picture of a house and another time, more recently, a burly security guard appeared at my shoulder as I was photographing the nice interior of a bar in Singapore. I did have my camera resting on the marble guard rail though. He didn't say anything but he didn't need to, I smiled and exited stage right.
12-18-2021, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
Turkish barbers, where have they all come from. Two have opened in our town/village in the last 12 months, traditional ear singeing and nose waxing are on the menu. Can't say I fancy it much but they are open 7 days a week, early to late.
There used to be none in my town... then one, for about four years (that I went to fairly regularly for a shave and haircut - very good, and the owner is a great guy)... and then, two more have popped up in the space of about six months. The thing is, we're not exactly short on barbers anyway... there's a couple of Italian ones in town, and two or three unisex hair salons. Anyone that needs their locks trimming isn't short of choice around here

I do enjoy the ear singeing and nose waxing (and with my ear and nose hair growth, I'm the ideal customer)... but I'm very picky about who I allow to do it. Hygiene is all important...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-18-2021 at 11:18 AM.
12-18-2021, 10:42 AM - 6 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A bit of suspense there. Glad it ended on a friendly note.

Wouldn't you have been surprised if he had said "Trip 35, nice little camera; early model this one, with the 6-digit serial. Didn't David Bailey use one of these? How's the metering? Sometimes those selenium cells go wonky. Me, I prefer the 35SP."

- Craig(owns four Trip 35s)
12-18-2021, 10:43 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mike - photos or it didn't happen - Jack
12-18-2021, 10:46 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Mike - photos or it didn't happen - Jack
LOL I still have 14 shots left on the roll, Jack... and then I have to develop it (and not screw that up), cut it, flatten it under a heavy book for a week or two, and digitise it. So it'll be a while yet... but you can be sure I'll share the photos when they're done Of course, Sod's Law says that for the hassle this shot caused me, it won't have been worth it

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-18-2021 at 10:54 AM.
12-18-2021, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's a very interesting story. I'm reading a book about sales, and it says we should always ask for permission, because asking for permission makes people feel respected and cared about. Most of the time, asking for permission is exactly what gets the "yes" answer.
Now, the other thing about your barber shop is, he could have done better, he could have said that he likes photos like you (something in common with you) and ask you if you could come again to take more photos, and take this opportunity to show you around what they do in his barber shop and ask for your permission to cut your hairs (or start cutting your hair without asking ).

Last edited by biz-engineer; 12-18-2021 at 11:24 AM.
12-18-2021, 11:24 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
A bit of suspense there. Glad it ended on a friendly note.

Wouldn't you have been surprised if he had said "Trip 35, nice little camera; early model this one, with the 6-digit serial. Didn't David Bailey use one of these? How's the metering? Sometimes those selenium cells go wonky. Me, I prefer the 35SP."

- Craig(owns four Trip 35s)
That would have surprised me, in a good way. Bonus points if he'd pulled out a SpotMatic

Four Trip 35s? Wow! I have a second in the wings awaiting light seal replacement which I may sort out tomorrow. Both of mine are later models with the black plastic shutter button, but both are in excellent condition with fully working metering...

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's a very interesting story. I'm reading a book about sales, and it says we should always ask for permission, because asking for permission makes people feel respected and cared about. Most of the time, asking for permission is exactly what gets the "yes" answer.
Now, the other thing about your barber shop is, he could have done better, he could have said that he likes photos like you (something in common with you) and ask you if you could come again to take more photos, and take this opportunity to show you around what they do in his barber shop and ask for your permission to cut your hairs (or start cutting your hair without asking )
The stupid thing is, biz, earlier in the afternoon I went into a laundromat and asked the girl at the counter if I could take some photos of the shop's interior. She said yes, and even seemed quite pleased, if a little bemused that someone would want photos of washing machines I suspect if I'd done the same at this barber's, he might have been just as accommodating... but I saw the shot and just took it without thinking. I'll think next time
12-18-2021, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ausable Quote
bad hair day
That must be harmful to the business of a barber if you shoot people coming out of his shop with bad hair
12-18-2021, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I never deliberately photograph people. It only encourages them !
12-18-2021, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Four Trip 35s? Wow!
Picked up at various markets and thrift shops in my travels. My intention is/was to refurbish a couple of them and re-skin with some nice leather that I scavenged from old portfolio cases. I guess I got side-tracked...

I've had a couple of very pleasant experiences asking shop-owners or staff if I could take a few 'snaps' inside. One place offered me a complimentary coffee (very nice). Another place along the main street of a nearby quaint village was being renovated after changing hands, and the shop owner/handyman was only too happy to talk about the plans for his boutique scotch & coffee bar.

On the other hand, I saw quite a few signs on the exterior of shops in Montreal's Chinatown (Quartier chinois) -- screaming NO PHOTOS... NO PICTURES...

- Craig
12-18-2021, 11:54 AM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Picked up at various markets and thrift shops in my travels. My intention is/was to refurbish a couple of them and re-skin with some nice leather that I scavenged from old portfolio cases. I guess I got side-tracked...
One of mine was bought from a reputable seller who sources, services, repairs and sells them. It came with the original strap, lens cap and case, and I paid almost full retail value for it about ten years ago - which still wasn't very much, and looks like a real bargain at today's prices. The second one, though, I picked up at a ham radio swap-meet a couple of years later. It was marked as untested and priced at GBP £15. I tried winding the film lever (which seemed OK) and briefly checked that the shutter fired in normal light at ISO 400, and the red warning flag appeared with the lens cap on (it did). I walked away with it for £10. After cleaning the body (the leatherette needed a fair bit of WD40 and elbow grease ), it was easily as good - perhaps even just very slightly better - than the first one I bought. No case or lens cap, though, but I added an original lens cap to it recently. So, I have two near-mint cameras - one to shoot, and one as backup once I've fitted new seals

I've had a couple of very pleasant experiences asking shop-owners or staff if I could take a few 'snaps' inside. One place offered me a complimentary coffee (very nice). Another place along the main street of a nearby quaint village was being renovated after changing hands, and the shop owner/handyman was only too happy to talk about the plans for his boutique scotch & coffee bar.

On the other hand, I saw quite a few signs on the exterior of shops in Montreal's Chinatown (Quartier chinois) -- screaming NO PHOTOS... NO PICTURES...
I guess all we can do is ask, Craig. If folks don't like it or have a policy against it, fair enough... I'm happy to move on. I've thought about asking one or two local businesses if I could take some photos in exchange for providing them with copies they could use in marketing or on Facebook etc., but then I guess there's the issue of copyright etc. I'm not sure I want the hassle...
12-18-2021, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
With film its easy, take the picture and when they ask if you just took a picture say no.

Also helps if you have a good stance and appearance. Confidence goes a long way.
12-18-2021, 12:35 PM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Auer Quote
With film its easy, take the picture and when they ask if you just took a picture say no.

Also helps if you have a good stance and appearance. Confidence goes a long way.
I'm a pretty confident fellow... certainly, I don't back down easily... but despite being perfectly reasonable, that sounds a little like the opening stages of confrontation - and that's what I'm at pains to avoid. In my earlier years I'd have been more bullish, Eric... but these days, I just want a quiet life with minimal fuss. If it's at some minor expense to my range of activities, I can live with that. There's plenty to photograph other than people. In fact, there's no reason I can't photograph them too, so long as I agree it with them first. The results I get won't be so spontaneous, perhaps; they'll inevitably be just a little bit "staged", or at least "expectant"... but that's OK. Just my personal take on it, of course...