Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 191 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2021, 12:56 PM   #16
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Much as I'd love for you to initiate another family member into the world of Pentax and swell our numbers accordingly, I'm not sure DSLRs in general and Pentax specifically are the best choices for a new photographer these days. If anything, I'd say a move into Pentax later on is wiser, when that photographer understands the benefits and limitations of the platform and brand, and their curiosity is piqued. To start out, I think Fujifilm makes an awful lot of sense. The cameras and lenses are really capable and decent quality, the ergonomics are very good (IMHO), they're great for JPEG shooters (which is how most folks start off) because of the excellent film emulation profiles, and with adapters they can utilise all the great film-era K-mount glass available (as well as most other SLR and rangefinder lenses), if that's something of interest. I like your idea of the XT-30, if one of the kits with bundled zoom lens falls within budget...
bingo....

if I were starting over, this is where I'd be looking.....

12-20-2021, 01:35 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do not think I, in good conscience, could recommend Pentax to a new, young, photographer. To me, Pentax is a brand that an experienced photographer has to purposefully choose after careful consideration of all the options.

My suggestion is a strong brand that has lots of choices and options as the user grows as a photographer. This means a major player, be it Canon, Nikon, Fujifilm, etc.
12-20-2021, 01:40 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

If I had no investment in Pentax glass, basically starting over, I would be looking at Nikon Z. That's probably out of the budget here, my second choice would be Fuji. In both cases glass tends to be more expensive than Pentax but more options, not necessarily better options. AF is better in a few use cases, eye tracking for portraits, and video AF. For most beginners asking me what to buy I send them to Fuji. Smaller cameras with some really targeted to beginners, and the Fuji 18-55 kit lens is really good for a kit lens, the cheap XC 35mm f2 as a good first prime. It's hard to beat. I love my Pentax gear, and I have learned a lot using it, but it's hard to be in a niche brand sometimes, and I have considered my position many times. I wouldn't want to put a beginner in that position when there is already so much to overcome in this hobby.
12-20-2021, 01:47 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm with @vector that the Nikon Z would probably at the top of my short list if I were a new photo enthusiast who wanted an ILC.

A 1"-sensor compact could be pretty neat - the Panasonic LX10 seems very nice - and a sensible secondary camera if/when the nascent photographer decides to go upscale with a DSLR/MILC.

Edit: Hard to imagine living on The Island of Enchantment and not becoming a bird photography enthusiast.

12-20-2021, 02:14 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I have seen new Pentax K-70 and lens kits that are around 645 dollars. If the user learns on a DSLR they will at least have knowledge of how to use it and its capabilities in the future.
12-20-2021, 02:48 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The key features that she wants should drive it:
1) Portraits
- Does this mean shallow depth of field to her?
- Does she plan to take these with good available light or in a way that requires flash or studio light?
2) Video
- What type? 4K, FHD? Lower Res? 24fps, 30fps, 60fps? Slog?
- What lighting?
3) Display method?
4) Social Media publishing?

The reason I suggest something like the RX100 is that it is small enough to be easy to carry and still capable of making good images. It will not be the best for portraits in some circumstances but honestly if you use the long end of the lens and compose with a good eye you can get away with it. Low light performance is not bad - certainly not top of the class that you can get with APSC or FF but very reasonable. Video is excellent. It offers wifi transfers and uses standard SD cards so nothing too exotic. It is the kind of camera you might keep even if you went to DSLR/ILC because it is capable and small. I have one that I sometimes use as the primary travel camera depending on the trip. It's easy to get hung up on the things we love and want and not think about what the person asking needs and wants.

As for @pepperyberryfarms question - I have no idea what I would do if starting over. I might well pick Nikon because I loved them early on as well. I am a current Pentax and Sony and Panasonic and Olympus user - so who knows. Fuji hasn't ever been on my wish list. But that's just my own perspective.

BTW if an ILC/DSLR type camera is a must - m43 may be another place to look. The advantage of smaller sensors is that with the shorter focal lengths they use they end up with pretty large DOF which is more likely to be useful as a new photographer than shallow DOF.
12-20-2021, 03:20 PM - 3 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

I taught photography for 15 years, and first year, grade 10 was with K-1000s. Second year we moved on to digital point and shoots, usually Panasonics, because their shutter release was close to instantaneous, like a K-1000. First day with the K-1000, we play with the shutter with the lens off the camera to see how the shutter mechanism worked. Then we use the aperture ring on the lens to understand how an aperture works.

So, I'm biting my tongue here.
I'll leave it at that. My suggestion would be a K-5ii and FA 50 1.7 with the aperture ring so you can see how the aperture works.

"I'm talking to her to get more details. In her spare time she makes clothing and some hand made jewelry. But she also stated she is interested in "people" so I'm thinking some sort of portraiture."

This should fit the budget nicely. There are so many reasons to start with a fast 50, not a zoom, I can't even begin to list them. That combo will basically do almost anything. Low light, portraiture, product photography, narrow DOF and at 50mm ƒ/16 everything in focus photography. And despite the insistence otherwise, IMHO larger formats just look different, than smaller sensor cameras, and more professional. IMHO you start with basic kit, get to understand it thoroughly then move onto the next step. That's much more efficient than starting with zoom and having to figure out the characteristics of 20 different focal lengths at the same time you are learning the rest of it.

Keep it simple. After all, she probably has a phone for the "easy" stuff.

But hey, I know exactly how I'd walk her through it.... a skill I used to get paid for. But I'm not going to be there. So the OP will have to do what works for him. I'm just saying what worked for me, for 15 years.

I guarantee, if she starts like this, when it comes time to expand her photography, she'll know what she's doing and be able to make smart choices. I'm convinced starting off with a "sealed box" EV camera never produces the same level of understanding. The kids who skipped grade 10 and came in for digital in grade 11 when we were using Panasonic point and shoots with zoom lenses, , never really "got it."

Starting with "simplified gear" just makes you a slave to the gimmick creators.

Last edited by normhead; 12-20-2021 at 03:27 PM.
12-20-2021, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If starting over I certainly would not go Pentax at this time.

Probably Panasonic/Leica in L mount.

Pentax and I are just not heading in the same direction anymore.
SInce the KP is no longer available, I doubt I'll own another digital Pentax once the K-5 IIs gives up.
Film bodies I have enough of.
12-20-2021, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

She most likely used smartphones so EVF or OVF may or may not be necessary or make a difference at all. And frankly I think using back screen makes for better compositions then any sort of VF unless you shot action with long and heavy lenses.

I would get Olympus E-M10 with 14-42 kit. It makes good photos, looks cool, with kit lens it is very small camera and if she wants to be serious with photography there is always a way up inside the system. Any proposition from Pentax will be at least slightly more bulky and a lot heavier without offering much in exchange.

I also, as guys before me, think Pentax is in no way attractive choice for beginner those days. It is a brand for someone who wants its only good and now almost unique feature: OVF. All other things considered is in no way better and sometimes worse then MILC of equivalent price.
12-20-2021, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

I think @normhead has nailed it with the suggestion to start with a fast manual prime. I think that holds regardless of what camera system. It forces learning the basics and keeps things simple.

The reason I send people to Fuji to start out is because it looks like this:

It offers a very tactile and obvious experience with the camera settings. You can do it with any brand of camera, but the physical knobs and dials are very K-1000 like.
12-20-2021, 04:34 PM - 4 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

I don't know why all the negativity on Pentax.

If I was starting over, I would definitely buy Pentax again. Maybe I'm more frugal and Pentax still works best for people on a budget? I don't know. But I see options for every budget, for people who value the photographic experience with an optical viewfinder.
12-20-2021, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
And maybe a used DFA 50mm f/2.8 Macro.
Nice focal length on APS-C for portraits, plus macro capable for her trinkets and jewelry.

Cheers!
I was thinking the same thing, and for the same reason. Some of my best portrait photos were with a macro lens.
12-20-2021, 04:55 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

If I was starting over, I would definitely buy Pentax again. Maybe I'm more frugal and Pentax still works best for people on a budget? I don't know. But I see options for every budget, for people who value the photographic experience with an optical viewfinder.
I'll throw my 2 cents in here, as someone who dumped a truck load of money into Pentax gear this year. Pentax makes great gear, and I can make beautiful images with it. I am not limited by being a Pentax shooter, and in a lot of ways sticking with Pentax has made me a better photographer. I like the OVF experience, and I have enough experience now, and have tried enough other cameras (mirrorless and DSLR) to know that there is no where I can switch to that is going to make my photography better. It is all just minor trade offs. The problem is that after doing this more seriously for a while now, sometimes it would just be nice not to be the one swimming upstream so to speak, or going the wrong way against the traffic. And this is coming from a standpoint mainly of availability of lenses, accessories, cameras available in stores, etc... I stand out and am unique in my preferences in most areas of my life, photography is no exception. But for recommending a camera system to someone starting out, I have a hard time with pushing someone to my preference. I think generally new photographers benefit from accessibility of the resources that go with their chosen camera system which includes showing up to a photography group and there being other people there using the same system. It's just a bit less friction in the whole journey for them. The downside is that most people tend to stick with what they get familiar with first, and that puts Pentax in a difficult market position because they need new users too.
12-20-2021, 05:05 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have some different perspective on the matter, knowing that person and how likely it would be to get involved with photography seriously... if that’s the case then I would definitely suggest a K-70. Why not? Excellent ergonomic design, capabilities well over an beginner’s experience, a bunch of lenses choices... all there. That said, Fuji makes fantastic cameras. The xt 30 is a great choice due to well balanced ergonomics and excellent image quality. The main difference is basically the grip , because all the other stuff wouldn’t matter so much to a beginner. Unfortunately a closer inspection is not possible, as you mentioned.
Go for the dslr. It’s relatively cheap , robust and capable. Not every beginner likes to follow the trends. Who knows...
12-20-2021, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

I'd also start with Pentax again, but if video is important it might not be the best choice for her, as the new K-3iii is over the budget (if 4K or 60fps fullHD is required)