Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2021, 10:21 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hardest question of them all: What camera to buy?

Hello,

The daughter of a good friend of mine asked me the toughest question in the world: What camera to buy?
She is in college and has some general interest in photography. I'm talking to her to get more details. In her spare time she makes clothing and some hand made jewelry. But she also stated she is interested in "people" so I'm thinking some sort of portraiture.
My first reaction was to point her the way of the optical viewfinder and suggested a K70. I'm planning to meet with her so she can handle a DSLR and see how she likes it. But she has been researching online and liked the Fujifilm XT200. Her budget is around $750. From what I have read online the XT200 suffers from overheating especially in video mode.

Other questions I have asked her:
Low light capabilities? Not really a critical thing
Printing? Maybe
Printing big? No
Video? yes, occasionally
New or with some experience? New
Bokeh? What's that? I'll get back to that when I explain and show her
Portability and weight? She is thinking about that but I assume lighter over heavier
Serious interest in photography? That conversation is still pending
Weather sealing? Nice to have but not critical

I suggested her to take a look at the Pentax K70 and Fujifilm XT30 kits. I know, very different beasts altogether. The XT30 kit is over her budget, but not disqualified yet. She doesn't know it yet but the benefit of a Pentax DSLR is that she can tap into my lenses...

The problem we have here is that everything has to be mail ordered. No stores here that you can play and feel it except maybe Best Buy which is almost a 2 hour drive and the selection is not very big.

What other suggestions? or questions? Anyone has experience with the XT200?

Thanks,
Ismael

12-20-2021, 10:35 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

For photos of people, I think eye autofocus and exposure preview would make a mirrorless camera quicker to use. I'm often finding that when switching between the K1ii and my m43 kit for family shots, perhaps also because of the limited autofocus coverage in the OVF. Also much better autofocus for video. So I'd say consider a m43 kit, they're quite small and with many affordable lens options (to my limited knowledge, Fuji lenses tend to be relatively more expensive when moving past the kit lens)
12-20-2021, 10:35 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K5 with a 35mm and 50mm :-) and/or a normal zoom…

Cheap, reliable, comfortable, enough buttons and dials to understand in a tactile way how changes in each of the exposure parameters affect the picture, center point af-s is more than good enough anytime but dusk. Battery last forever.

And those two focal lengths can do close portraits of a single person or stepped-back pictures of groups of people from whom you have, for the moment, stepped away.
12-20-2021, 10:40 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Mirrorless cameras are 'new and cool' - that's pretty hard to compete with.
but EVF still doesn't hold a candle to an OVF when it comes to photographer experience and pleasure and connecting with your subject.
I'd hope she could experience both. Some say EVF is 'good enough'.

For what it's worth, I'd suggest a K-70 as well.
And maybe a used DFA 50mm f/2.8 Macro.
Nice focal length on APS-C for portraits, plus macro capable for her trinkets and jewelry.

Cheers!

Last edited by FozzFoster; 12-20-2021 at 11:06 AM.
12-20-2021, 10:43 AM - 4 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My proposal would be good smart phone and some digital camera with 50..80 mm prime lens. Phone to walk around and learning the composition. Camera with prime to learn the craft of portrait photography.
12-20-2021, 11:06 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find it hard to argue with a Pentax K-70 with 18-135... you get quite a bit of controls in the body like two data wheels, plus it's weatherized which she might not appreciate yet, but at some point she likely will... also, if she shot RAW (what are the changes of that?) it would definitely be an advantage to go with the Pentax. For JPEGs

I think the XT200 is discontinued? I looked at Amazon and the only one I found was a used one... but Best Buy still has it. Personally I think the X-E3 with XF 18-55 is the one for her in the same budget and can be found new, if she wants to go Fujifilm. The specs are nice on that one... 24MP X-Trans sensor, and the XR 18-55 f/2.8-4 kit lens has a very good reputation (and it costs new almost as much as this whole package), and is faster than the Pentax. The tradeoff of course is that the Pentax lens will give you a ton more reach...

There's a newer X-E4 but it only comes with the 27mm pancake as a kit and costs quite a bit more.

But I would still go with the K-70 personally. Besides what was already said, the ergonomics should also be quite better... the cheaper Fujifilm cameras have no proper grip... and adding a DA 50mm f/1.8 for portraits would cost less than 100 bucks, new.
12-20-2021, 11:16 AM - 4 Likes   #7
Site Supporter

A Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100, any version really.

Portable, excellent optics, AF and IQ.

Would do everything very well.

Excellent small cameras never grow old on you.

12-20-2021, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps a new smartphone with fancy photographic features?

Another thought: if you are doing the recommending, and she follows your advice, are you then obligated to provide tech support?
12-20-2021, 12:11 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Auer Quote
A Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100, any version really.

Portable, excellent optics, AF and IQ.

Would do everything very well.

Excellent small cameras never grow old on you.
That was my thought. Limited to those with EVF and probably the IV, V, VA are in the sweet spot pricing wise.
12-20-2021, 12:12 PM - 6 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for the replies. Keep 'em coming!

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Another thought: if you are doing the recommending, and she follows your advice, are you then obligated to provide tech support?
The story of my life since I was a kid: I always end up been tech support... Be it electronics, power tools, automotive, toys, cell phones, light fixtures, washing machines, Christmas decorations, etc.
Same at work. "Are you Ismael? My car won't start and the security guard told me your name..."
My kids say that the check engine, low tire indicator, or any other stupid red or yellow light in their cars mean "Call dad"

So, yeah. I'll be tech support regardless of what she gets.

Thanks,
Ismael
12-20-2021, 12:14 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WileyB Quote
K5 with a 35mm and 50mm :-) and/or a normal zoom…Cheap, reliable, comfortable, enough buttons and dials to understand in a tactile way how changes in each of the exposure parameters affect the picture, center point af-s is more than good enough anytime but dusk. Battery last forever.And those two focal lengths can do close portraits of a single person or stepped-back pictures of groups of people from whom you have, for the moment, stepped away.
A good proposal if there wasn't a demand for video too (although only occasional). Only P and Av for video is old-fashioned, not in a good way

Also hard to find new nowadays
12-20-2021, 12:24 PM - 6 Likes   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

with no investment in lenses, would you buy into Pentax today?

I'm not so sure I would...
12-20-2021, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
with no investment in lenses, would you buy into Pentax today?

I'm not so sure I would...
The budget is quite limited if buying new.
I think the bank of Mum & Dad should stump up the difference for a GRiiiX and call it a day.
No extra lenses to bother about.
12-20-2021, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I have a hard time recommending a camera that may be prone to failing such as the K70. For expenditure savings the K5 & K3 series cameras aren't prone to aperture block or anything of the like. The K5lls was my favorite camera, I only sold it because I got a K1 mkll and it's crop mode being similar and owning my k3ll.
12-20-2021, 12:47 PM - 4 Likes   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Much as I'd love for you to initiate someone else into the world of Pentax and swell our numbers accordingly, I'm not sure DSLRs in general and Pentax specifically are the best choices for a new photographer these days. If anything, I'd say a move into Pentax later on is wiser, when that photographer understands the benefits and limitations of the platform and brand, and their curiosity is piqued. To start out, I think Fujifilm makes an awful lot of sense. The cameras and lenses are really capable and decent quality, the ergonomics are very good (IMHO), they're great for JPEG shooters (which is how most folks start off) because of the excellent film emulation profiles, and with adapters they can utilise all the great film-era K-mount glass available (as well as most other SLR and rangefinder lenses), if that's something of interest. I like your idea of the XT-30, if one of the kits with bundled zoom lens falls within budget...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-20-2021 at 01:29 PM.