Show Printable Version 191 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2021, 12:22 PM   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
K-5 in the marketplace, low shutter count.... $250
K-5 body - PentaxForums.com
Video features are pretty weak but I assume smartphone is the video in this path?

12-23-2021, 12:29 PM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Everyone seems to be pushing the brand he owns. Pentax users suggesting Pentax models. Fuji users suggesting Fuji model. I find this funny to read
12-23-2021, 12:52 PM   #138
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Everyone seems to be pushing the brand he owns. Pentax users suggesting Pentax models. Fuji users suggesting Fuji model. I find this funny to read
Well… I own Panasonic, Olympus, Sony, Pentax, and Nikon. I recommended Sony (RX100) or m43 (Panasonic or Olympus) and suggested that it would be hard to miss with any selected product. I didn’t recommend Pentax as video was a potentially important feature and in the majority of models that’s a significant weakness.
12-23-2021, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own a Fuji and Olympus, in addition to my main Pentax system. So, yes, but with a distinct qualification. My recommendation to start with the Olympus was based on seeing others in similar situations starting with a larger system and then abandoning it later.

12-23-2021, 01:17 PM - 2 Likes   #140
Pentaxian

It's really hard to recommend something you don't use.
I have never recommended anything on factory spec. etc. in my whole life. I'm not going to start now.
I actually consider it to be irresponsible.
If I recommend something, and someone has problem with it, I'll tell them how to fix or work around it.
I'm happy to recommend a Fuji GFX100s, because of it's combination of portability and IQ, and essentially, many of will do anything but spend money we don't have for the kind of improvement in IQ. I'll even read the manual myself and figure out settings, something I never do here. Here I wait until I have a problem an ask. Some people are quite willing to share their experience, sometimes after bemoaning the fact that I didn't read the manual.

That being said, there isn't another camera on the planet I would ditch my K-1 for apart from the GFX 100s if I were offered a straight up trade. I just prefer to work with what I have unless there is an obvious benefit to me. I Know a lot won't like it, but more complicated than a K1000 or ME is overkill, and sheer laziness. I can get every image I will ever have an opportunity to take with a K1000 and annual focus lens. And I find the assumption I'd be happier with more modern tech obnoxious. Why? I know how to do it without the cost modern tech, so how does that help me?

I swear most of the people I see walking around with $20,000 kit have no idea how to configure the settings for optimum use. They buy it to use it, but in the end, they waste it. Myself with my ZS100 included. I simply cannot be bothered to memorize what all those settings never ending settings do. Because I know I don't have to do that to take very high IQ images.

Last edited by normhead; 12-23-2021 at 01:23 PM.
12-23-2021, 01:27 PM - 2 Likes   #141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I own a Fuji and Olympus, in addition to my main Pentax system. So, yes, but with a distinct qualification. My recommendation to start with the Olympus was based on seeing others in similar situations starting with a larger system and then abandoning it later.
When I was teaching we started with K1000s and then switched to mirrorless point and shoots, because we were convinced the best camera to learn to understand photography is not the most technically advanced. You have to learn more than when to just press a button. I guess you are suggesting that using something easy that has no requirement to understand the process is just as good, as full control and a thorough understanding of of how cameras actually work. Sure you can get good pictures. But you have a low ceiling using that approach.

There's a difference between people who just want the best picture that can be taken with the least effort, and those who definitely want to learn photography and are willing to work at it.

Starting with a basic camera camera and working backwards is a viable strategy. I started with 8x10 and 4x5 film, SLRs weren't included until second year. It's a tried and true strategy. Once you have that basic understanding, you can use anything you choose and know what you're doing, even if the hardware is doing most of it for you.

But, I don't know if this is person wants to learn photography or just wants to take a few pictures with no particular expertise. I once took younger woman out on a photography trip who had no interest beyond learning to press the shutter button. It takes all types. I remember at one point suggesting she should really consider a basic photography course. Her husband chimed in "ya that." She was happy because her friends praised her for what she already did and she had no desire to go beyond that. And the bottom line there was I couldn't explain to her how to improve her images, because sh had no understanding of the basics. The fact that you buy a camera, in no way suggests you understand or make good use of it.

Last edited by normhead; 12-23-2021 at 02:26 PM.
12-23-2021, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I was teaching we started with K1000s and then switched to mirrorless point and shoots, because we were convinced the best camera to learn to understand photography is not the most technically advanced. You have to learn more than when to just press a button. I guess you are suggesting that using something easy that has no requirement to understand the process is just as good, as full control and a thorough understanding of of how cameras actually work. Sure you can get good pictures. But you have a low ceiling using that approach.

There's a difference between people who just want the best picture that can be taken with the least effort, and those who definitely want to learn photography and are willing to work at it.

Starting with a good camera and working backwards is available strategy. I started with 8x10 and 4x5 film, SLRs weren't included until second year. It's a tried and true strategy.
Was the OP talking about the young woman starting in a formal teaching environment? Perhaps I missed that, but that would make a huge difference to the availability and variety of starting gear.

In any event, I wasn’t talking about gear that is easier to use, but easier to take with you. Getting results that inspire a learner to investigate further and improve technique through understanding is also an important first step to a longer commitment. I suspect we’re on the same page there.

And I started with an Agfa Isola, after some practice with my father’s Kodak folding camera. No meters or any automation, just simple settings with G&G for guidance. That seemed to work for me, too, but I doubt it would attract most people of a similar age, these days.

12-23-2021, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #143
Pentaxian

Personally I would expect no less and normally I would be pushing Pentax, but in the context of a brand new photographer with the list of requirements posted, which includes video and smaller size, the best I can honestly advocate for is Fuji. I haven't used anything else enough to really vouch for it.

This exactly.

That being said, there isn't another camera on the planet I would ditch my K-1 for
Me neither.

This is what I run into all the time, most just want the first case and aren't interested in working to learn and get better.
12-23-2021, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #144
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

And I started with an Agfa Isola, after some practice with my father’s Kodak folding camera. No meters or any automation, just simple settings with G&G for guidance. That seemed to work for me, too, but I doubt it would attract most people of a similar age, these days.
It attracted me. I'm shooting with one presently...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-23-2021 at 03:12 PM.
12-23-2021, 03:04 PM - 2 Likes   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It attracted me. I'm shooting with one presently...
Ah, thank you. That brings back some rather fond memories. Now, if you can locate a Kodak junior developing kit, my nostalgia will be complete.

Congratulations on finding one in such good nick.
12-23-2021, 03:07 PM   #146
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
But she has been researching online and liked the Fujifilm XT200. Her budget is around $750. From what I have read online the XT200 suffers from overheating especially in video mode.
Looking at the Flickr images, I wouldn't be able to recommend this camera.
Does anyone have some images?
I suspect the problem being most who use it don't understand a lot about photography, making he camera appear worse than it is. There is one 200 ISO image that is the noisiest 200 ISO image I've ever seen. I wonder if there is a film filter that adds grain that's faking me out.

Anyone have some images that show off what the camera can do?

I'm starting to fall in line with the guys advocating a GR. Someone save me from my perception that the camera takes terrible images. I like to think a good photographer can take good images with almost anything.
12-23-2021, 09:49 PM   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe this happens as well.

It doesn't appear to me to be like this in this thread.

I myself ... of starting completly new again, would consider Pentax again, partly due to the legacy glass.

I had been tempted by Sigma and its Foveon sensor but the DSLR Merrill SD1 was too expensive, I have the DP3 DP-2 Merrill as a light "take away" camera
but there are drawbacks, the most problematic is that I am forced to use Sigma photo Pro. Also there is only a very limited option for lenses.

Last edited by photogem; 12-28-2021 at 10:11 AM.
12-23-2021, 09:54 PM   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

The daughter of a good friend of mine asked me the toughest question in the world: What camera to buy?
She is in college and has some general interest in photography. I'm talking to her to get more details. In her spare time she makes clothing and some hand made jewelry. But she also stated she is interested in "people" so I'm thinking some sort of portraiture.
My first reaction was to point her the way of the optical viewfinder and suggested a K70. I'm planning to meet with her so she can handle a DSLR and see how she likes it. But she has been researching online and liked the Fujifilm XT200. Her budget is around $750. From what I have read online the XT200 suffers from overheating especially in video mode.

Other questions I have asked her:
Low light capabilities? Not really a critical thing
Printing? Maybe
Printing big? No
Video? yes, occasionally
New or with some experience? New
Bokeh? What's that? I'll get back to that when I explain and show her
Portability and weight? She is thinking about that but I assume lighter over heavier
Serious interest in photography? That conversation is still pending
Weather sealing? Nice to have but not critical

I suggested her to take a look at the Pentax K70 and Fujifilm XT30 kits. I know, very different beasts altogether. The XT30 kit is over her budget, but not disqualified yet. She doesn't know it yet but the benefit of a Pentax DSLR is that she can tap into my lenses...

The problem we have here is that everything has to be mail ordered. No stores here that you can play and feel it except maybe Best Buy which is almost a 2 hour drive and the selection is not very big.

What other suggestions? or questions? Anyone has experience with the XT200?

Thanks,
Ismael
The answer is the one thats in your hheart. I second the K1. Best of luck!
12-24-2021, 12:34 AM   #149
Pentaxian

It's really hard to recommend something you don't use.
Fair enough. Then recommending what we use makes the recommendation worthless. Because you are happy with the camera you use doesn't mean your choice is a valid choice for me. Being recommended a Pentax camera by happy users is what happened to some people who bought a Pentax K1 for sport photography , concerts , moving kids, and when they complained about poor auto-focus performance they were told they made a bad choice for their needs so they are responsible to their own choice.
12-24-2021, 04:51 AM   #150
Pentaxian

"In her spare time she makes clothing and some hand made jewelry".

No matter what camera she will pick up, I guess she will appreciate Flip Screen. If she wants to show her clothing and jewelry creations on herself, her camera must have FS.