Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 75 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2021, 08:06 PM - 2 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
The point of this thread was to compare the two systems alikes and differences for anyone cross shopping the two. Like I didn't know Nikon had focus confirmation with old manual lenses similar to Pentax until I was learning the camera. The purpose wasn't to compare dogs chasing balls off in the distance outdoors to toddlers indoors nearby running at you or debate if a lens was decentered when just about every Pentax lens I've owned fringed wide open to some degree whereas I'm 4/4 no fringing with Nikon so far. I'm done with this thread too, off to take some pics tomorrow morning with my Nikon, or even my cell phone if I feel like it Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

12-25-2021, 02:07 AM - 2 Likes   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder why many folk don't change brand because they realise the biggest difference between using Pentax V brand X is the user? I'm not at all convinced my photography as a whole would improve if I swapped.

Comparisons are always likely to throw up both technical and subjective differences, but unless the gear compared are equivalent and at the same stage of development, it's not a reasonable test ... and then there's the inevitable personal opinion that overlays any review that negates it further.

Going to medium format yes, that would probably change things - I say change, but not necessarily improve. Plus I rather like the puzzled looks I get when folk see the Pentax logo. So like many I'll stick with taking photos with Pentax, not currently as I've just noticed I'm getting the evil eye for not doing the Xmas mucking in. Happy Christmas to all ...
12-25-2021, 03:30 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess I would say that cameras are more similar these days than they are different. Nikon probably still does a little better at auto focus but the gap has narrowed quite a bit with the K-3 III. If you own a lot of Pentax lenses, even if the cost of an individual camera body is higher, it still makes sense to stick with Pentax.

I do appreciate shake reduction in the body (Nikon has added that with their mirrorless cameras), pixel shift, astro tracer, the third control wheel, and easy access to nearly every setting I use via buttons rather than needing to menu dive on the K-1.
12-25-2021, 06:31 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I don't like how the front dial adjusts aperture on my Nikon and can't be switched to the back as far as I can tell.
@stillshot2, I believe the aperture control can be swapped, see page 363 of the English-language user's manual.

Clearly, this thread compares the OP's experience with only two specific cameras -- the D750 and the K-3. I think it's great that the user found better outcomes with the D750; my impression is that it's a notable camera in the Nikon series. The camera and lenses were acquired at attractive prices, appropriate for a seven-year old camera and several older lenses.

Comparing two brands in general is a much broader question. Both brands -- Nikon and Pentax -- have their strengths and weaknesses, pros and cons.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 12-25-2021 at 02:15 PM.
12-25-2021, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I wonder why many folk don't change brand because they realise the biggest difference between using Pentax V brand X is the user? I'm not at all convinced my photography as a whole would improve if I swapped.
If you treat camera as a tool switching will not improve your composition or or overall abilities, but it may (or not) improve experience of using camera. Which may lead to using it more often and with more fun in the end resulting in better photos. Sometimes it is worth switching, or renting and trying (and then switching or not) as this may improve your photography. Even if not directly.
12-25-2021, 05:46 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Clearly, this thread compares the OP's experience with only two specific cameras -- the D750 and the K-3. I think it's great that the user found better outcomes with the D750; my impression is that it's a notable camera in the Nikon series. The camera and lenses were acquired at attractive prices, appropriate for a seven-year old camera and several older lenses.
This year I was given a D300 which I've been experimenting with. The closest comparison I have is with the K5. Anything more recent would be unfair. For focusing and external controls the D300 wins. However the K5 has much better ergonomics and the sensor and high ISO performance are superior. Not necessarily better photos but using the K5 is more enjoyable. And yes this is a comparison of two different specific high end crop sensor DSLRs. You can't extrapolate from this experience to the brands generally.
12-25-2021, 07:23 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess I would say that cameras are more similar these days than they are different. Nikon probably still does a little better at auto focus but the gap has narrowed quite a bit with the K-3 III. I
According to one reviewer, the are pretty much equivalent, the Nikon has better tracking for objects moving way from you, whatever use that is. Otherwise they are pretty much the same. I had a friend out with a D330 years ago. I was explaining bracketing, and then discovered there was no auto bracketing on it. But I waste 15 minute flipping through menus looking for it. That's my experience based on one incident, and it didn't look good on the Nikon. I find it extremely suspicious that in my one opportunity I found Nikon deficiencies, but no one else does. It''s very suspicious.

12-25-2021, 07:33 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
The point of this thread was to compare the two systems alikes and differences for anyone cross shopping the two.
Nonsense, you can't even buy a K-3 these days unless you buy used. It's ancient history. Just another guy comparing current Nikon tech. to 8 year old Pentax tech. It's disingenuous. At the very least, things from Nikon current catalogue should be compared to Pentax's current catalogue.

Since the release of the K-3 Pentax released the K-3ii, The K-70, the K-P, the K-1 and K-1ii. and this 7 year old tech still costs $2,000 CAD. If the D750 is a sign of anything, it's stagnation in the Nikon Catalogue with reference to OVFs. Something that should give people pause when considering it. The K-3 is a year older, and long gone. What's with Nikon?

The one thing that might be interesting to know is how much the switch cost the OP.
I'm also wondering, if anyone is actually considering a K-3 (current value around $400-$500 in the same shopping search as a D750. Do any of these people actually exist?

Honestly, when you look at the K-3iii with just as good AF, 12 fps instead of 6.5, a similar number of AF points and 2 more MP, probably enough to overcome any IQ issues, even at this reduced price, I'm not seeing it as a good value. Certainly not worth a lens exchange.

If anyone is interested, there a used one at Henry's for $650 CAD. Pay your $2000 CAD and that's what it's worth the next day. For those wanting one of those 150-600 type lenses, it could be a deal, although from my perspective, a D750 is just a K-3 without the crop sensor advantage for field of view. Apart from that, I can't see this camera appealing to anyone. 24 MP at 6.5 fps, that's pathetic. Not even up to K-3 standards. Anyone going for it?

Anyone?

Last edited by normhead; 12-25-2021 at 07:52 PM.
12-25-2021, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Just another guy comparing current Nikon tech. to 6 year old 5 models since Pentax tech. It's disingenuous. At the very least, things from Nikon current catalogue should be compared to Pentax's current catalogue.
Norm, the D750 is from 2014. It's not current Nikon tech by any stretch. It's contemporary to the K-3 (right in between the K-3 and K-3ii).

Of course, the discussion is irrelevant for someone buying current gear because neither model is current for their respective brand (and Pentax made a massive leap in AF in the meantime), but that's a different story.
12-25-2021, 11:44 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You know , you can enjoy both

I have more adapters coming
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air (4th generation)  Photo 
12-26-2021, 12:38 AM   #56

My 52 years-old Nikon F will probably still work 50 years from now, while today's digital cameras (even the most advanced) will long ago have been discarded as outdated technology. They already are after two or three years! Perhaps the production of film for 35mm cameras then will have been resumed on a grand scale? The analogue film cameras might have a bright future!
12-26-2021, 06:28 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Norm, the D750 is from 2014. It's not current Nikon tech by any stretch. It's contemporary to the K-3 (right in between the K-3 and K-3ii).
And that's why I said "In the current line up." Going to Henry's I can still order a D750 new. It's been years since I could order a K-3. Which led to my next point, stagnation in the Nikon Catalogue and their lack of development of OVF tech.. What can you order from Pentax at ~24 MP? a K-3iii which has tech that out classed the D750 by a considerable margin.

If you like OVF tech.. you need to stop supporting Nikon , Canon etc. who are basically still selling inventory they got caught with in the sales downturn, at a lot more than bargain basement prices and support companies still innovating in the field.

These companies are just dumping inventory they can't sell to those keeping up with current tech. because their business model was based on ever expanding sales and they made way too much inventory for current conditions.

The head scratcher is that while the OP is crowing about how his d750 is better than his K-3, if my K-3 died I wouldn't buy another one. There have been so many improvements since the K-3 that would be silly. I use mine, because it's tough as a brick and still works flawlessly and doesn't look like it's planning to die anytime soon. So the OP is crowing about his camera being better than a camera I wouldn't consider purchasing. The more I think about it, the sillier it gets.

If anyone does plan to get in on the Nikon OVF camera dump, I'd suggest a D850. Now there's a great camera that still holds up on the spec sheet.

Last edited by normhead; 12-26-2021 at 07:20 AM.
12-26-2021, 09:08 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And that's why I said "In the current line up." Going to Henry's I can still order a D750 new. It's been years since I could order a K-3. Which led to my next point, stagnation in the Nikon Catalogue and their lack of development of OVF tech.. What can you order from Pentax at ~24 MP? a K-3iii which has tech that out classed the D750 by a considerable margin.

If you like OVF tech.. you need to stop supporting Nikon , Canon etc. who are basically still selling inventory they got caught with in the sales downturn, at a lot more than bargain basement prices and support companies still innovating in the field.

These companies are just dumping inventory they can't sell to those keeping up with current tech. because their business model was based on ever expanding sales and they made way too much inventory for current conditions.

The head scratcher is that while the OP is crowing about how his d750 is better than his K-3, if my K-3 died I wouldn't buy another one. There have been so many improvements since the K-3 that would be silly. I use mine, because it's tough as a brick and still works flawlessly and doesn't look like it's planning to die anytime soon. So the OP is crowing about his camera being better than a camera I wouldn't consider purchasing. The more I think about it, the sillier it gets.

If anyone does plan to get in on the Nikon OVF camera dump, I'd suggest a D850. Now there's a great camera that still holds up on the spec sheet.
Yeah, but the D750 isn't current, it's new old stock. I couldn't buy one here if I wanted to, I'd have to buy the D780.

The OP also didn't buy a new D750, so how much money the body costs new is kind of irrelevant to them, about as much as what you or I or anyone else would do. The OP's K-3 didn't die, they claim it was inadequate for their needs. And, considering I can find D750s with under 10k shutter actuations for 600-700€ here, for example, I wouldn't be surprised if it was significantly cheaper to switch than to buy a K-3iii.
12-26-2021, 09:20 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The OP's K-3 didn't die, they claim it was inadequate for their needs.
I think that this is the key point -- the K-3 and several specific lenses were not working for the OP, and they are happier with the D750. It seems that they found a relatively low-cost solution to their problem. Fair enough, I suppose.

On the other hand, however, there have been plenty of positive reports about the K-3 through the years. And the DA 77 Limited certainly is enjoyed by many users. So, as they say, YMMV.

- Craig
12-26-2021, 09:31 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Yeah, but the D750 isn't current, it's new old stock. I couldn't buy one here if I wanted to, I'd have to buy the D780.

The OP's K-3 didn't die, they claim it was inadequate for their needs. .
A very poorly documented claim based on the speculation that he couldn't have taken a specific shot with his K-3. A shot I don't think I could have missed. I have no doubt the D750 feels bit snappier. What is undocumented is how much actual difference that makes to your photography.
Closed Thread