Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 75 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2021, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I did have the Pentax FA 35mm f2 for a while. I found it had erratic focus precision too which kind of ruined an important family photo shoot I had and which was basically the turning point to start from scratch. But even then, I didn't really love that focal length and find 50mm to be a good sweet spot for me. I'd like an 85mm f1.4 on full frame but then it'd be cramped indoors all over again haha
I have a couple lenses where the screw drive focus precision is just wonky. One of my DA35 f2.4s but not the other, and only on some of my camera bodies but not all (trust me I thought I was going crazy on that one and it's why I have 2 of them), my DA50 on all bodies as well as the F 50 f1.7 and FA 50 f1.7. Those 3 50s are basically the same lens from different generations. Stopping them down a little will mask it, but it's there. After good AF fine tuning they will regularly just completely miss focus, even on a B&W focus target in good light. Everything else has been really good. I really like 50mm on FF or its equivalent FoV on APSC at 35mm so I tried a bunch of them. I mostly shot the FA 50mm f1.4 but like you mention it does bloom in high contrast scenarios at wider than f2. Sorry you had bad luck with the FA 35 f2, mine has been fantastic. There must have been something wrong with your FA77, I can get some mild purple fringing on mine occasionally but it is very easily cleaned up in post. I pretty much only shoot it wide open and its awesome.

People shots like these at f1.4 is a use case where FF really does beat APSC in my opinion. The background is obliterated just that much more and fine facial detail like eyelashes etc, come out better defined if you are pixel peeping. I still prefer to shoot people shots on my K1 over K3. Plus 35mm on ASPC has the same FoV as 50mm FF but it can't match the depth of field of 50mm F1.4. So I totally get the challenges that took you to the D750. If I had been looking at starting from scratch I may have done the same. I have had a K1 since 2017 and I absolutely love it and odds are you would have been happy with one too, but I paid a lot more for it than you did for your D750.

Last edited by vector; 12-23-2021 at 08:27 PM.
12-24-2021, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #32

Photos: Albums
I don't think it's a question of either Nikon or Pentax or a third or fourth camera brand. I have cameras and lenses from five or six manufacturers (Canon, Fujifilm, Leica, Nikon, Olympus and Pentax).
Film and digital. Not all my cameras and lenses are bought new - mostly secondhand. I use and have used several camera brands, and switch relatively cheaply by buying secondhand. From MFT and APS-C to FF. Some of my photos on this site www.keldmikkelsen.dk
12-24-2021, 09:39 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Comparison between two brands is of course possible , as long as we put cameras of the same categories side by side. The d750 is an amazing camera by all means. And it’s one of the best Nikon cameras I’ve held in my hands, ergonomically. Other models are to be respected too. But it’s the built quality and the feeling of Pentax bodies that makes the difference. When I held the d5600 I felt it was too light and small for my hands.
I like some Nikon lenses too. What I don’t really like is the color approach... idk. It’s really a matter of taste.
12-24-2021, 10:45 AM - 3 Likes   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am certain me and the K-3 would have missed this moment:
Not to be hypercritical, but the shot looks to be uniformly soft (OOF?). It might have been worse with me using my K-3 though much depends on technique and luck in a pick up camera and grab the shot scenario, emphasis on luck.

Steve

12-24-2021, 11:12 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not to be hypercritical, but the shot looks to be uniformly soft (OOF?). It might have been worse with me using my K-3 though much depends on technique and luck in a pick up camera and grab the shot scenario, emphasis on luck. Steve
I did make a bad mistake with that first photo, I was being lazy editing off the memory card and forgot to save and actually deleted the original file but luckily had the photo open in Photoshop still and was able to screenshot it before my computer realized the file was gone. So I at least saved it with some resolution, but before I lost it the original did appear much sharper and the depth of field is/was razor thin but what was in focus looked sharp especially for the iso it was shot at. The reason I posted that photo is because even though I had just mounted the lens and was just playing with the camera for the first time I was blown away with how I could capture moments so easily whereas before the focus lock would take longer or miss enough to ruin a photo etc, if that makes sense? I have since taken much better photos after actually learning the camera better but I think I'm loading this thread with enough of my family already haha
12-24-2021, 11:47 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VariousThingsAndStuf Quote
I think my new go-to mode is going to be TAv: lock in an iso range that provides quality, set a shutter that does what I need and get a depth of field I like and have at it. I see this will not be possible with the Nikon.
Nikon has this function but it is called auto iso and is found in the manual mode. To quickly access this all you need to do is rotate the front dial while holding the iso button then the camera will function like TAV

---------- Post added 12-24-2021 at 12:48 PM ----------

As with Pentax dSLRs, top-shelf Nikon dSLRs treat M mode as true manual with no auto-ISO (i.e. not as TAv).

Steve
Manual mode in auto iso acts the same as TAv
12-24-2021, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
What I don’t really like is the color approach... idk. It’s really a matter of taste.
Yeah ironically both the Pentax and Nikon color approach aren't my favorite, shooting old Minolta Maxxum lenses on my Sony alpha bodies had amazing colors, but good thing I can tweak those things pretty easy in Photoshop. And strangely the D600 grip felt awful in my hands like made then cramp up, as well as the K10D, but the K-3 and K200D were amazing to hold like the D750.

---------- Post added 12-24-21 at 12:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
There must have been something wrong with your FA77, I can get some mild purple fringing on mine occasionally but it is very easily cleaned up in post.
I really don't think there was anything wrong with my 77mm, other than it had purple fringing about as much as other reviewers said, especially outdoors in Arizona sun. So I looked through a bunch of old photos trying to find a good 77mm one shot open, because most were stopped down a little to avoid the purple fringing in bright light and I don't really have any awful purple ones left since by now I'd have thrown them out. But here is one you can see is sharp zoomed in, so I don't think the lens is defective or anything, but you can see the photo the couple is holding is quite purple, her eyes brows are purple, the top of his head is purple, their hands are purple-ish, and this is after me trying to desaturate and turn down the purple levels quite a bit: [url removed]
I still like the photo and I think it turned out ok, but I found myself using the 50mm 1.4 much more and eventually got rid of the 77mm for other gear. I also distinctly remember a photo I took where the model was wearing a black and white polka dot shirt and when she wanted to see it afterwards I was so embarrassed that it was purple and white polka dot shirt and she was so confused why the 77mm made it turn out that way lol

Last edited by stillshot2; 01-06-2022 at 03:58 PM.
12-24-2021, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

I took where the model was wearing a black and white polka dot shirt and when she wanted to see it afterwards I was so embarrassed that it was purple and white polka dot shirt and she was so confused why the 77mm made it turn out that way lol
Simply stated the lens was defective. Mis-allignment is one of the main causes of purple fringing and CA.
12-24-2021, 03:51 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
Manual mode in auto iso acts the same as TAv
Interesting. Availability of Auto ISO Sensitivity Control is not called out in the M mode section of the D850 manual, though there is no real reason why it should not be turned on. I did a quick review of Nikon's education materials and sure enough, both M and S modes are suggested as being a good match for Auto ISO Sensitivity Control with override cutting in when minimum shutter speed threshold has been crossed and changes to aperture are inadequate. If neither criteria is satisfied, the camera uses the set ISO. At least that is my read of how it works. For clarification, the feature is not the same as Auto-ISO on Pentax (ramping governed by deep magic), nor does it function in a manner similar to Pentax TAv. (FWIW, TAv does not work the same as auto-ISO either.)

(Yes...talking through my hat here, having neither my K-3 nor a higher-end Nikon at hand...)

Steve
12-24-2021, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #40

I just tried to find the menu setting for that wheel reversal craziness, and found yet another thing that frustrates me with my D750. I just ASSUMED that since Pentax had TAv and Sensitivity priority modes, my Nikon did as well. THEN I FOUND OUT 😒. As much as I do like Nikon stuff in general, every time I go to USE that crazy thing, I end up looking all over for settings it just plain doesn't HAVE compared to the Pentax. I think my new go-to mode is going to be TAv: lock in an iso range that provides quality, set a shutter that does what I need and get a depth of field I like and have at it. I see this will not be possible with the Nikon.
Ok in fairness to Nikon I DID figure out how to achieve TAv and Sv modes. You have to cheat a bit but it CAN be done on a Nikon. For TAv, set (M)Manual mode, then simply twiddle with the command dials to get auto-iso. Set an acceptable range for sensitivity and away you go. Not as easy as having a dedicated slot on the mode dial, but doable. Sv is similar: set mode to (P)Program, then you have to hold down the iso button with some finger of the left hand, while your right thumb rolls the thumb-wheel. If you plan on adjusting while shooting, you had better be composed as you will need a third hand to zoom or manual focus. Still, not as easy as Pentax. Do they have a patent or something on these modes? Does any other company provide them?
12-24-2021, 04:47 PM   #41
Pentaxian

I really don't think there was anything wrong with my 77mm, other than it had purple fringing about as much as other reviewers said, especially outdoors in Arizona sun. So I looked through a bunch of old photos trying to find a good 77mm one shot open, because most were stopped down a little to avoid the purple fringing in bright light and I don't really have any awful purple ones left since by now I'd have thrown them out. But here is one you can see is sharp zoomed in, so I don't think the lens is defective or anything, but you can see the photo the couple is holding is quite purple, her eyes brows are purple, the top of his head is purple, their hands are purple-ish, and this is after me trying to desaturate and turn down the purple levels quite a bit: All sizes | Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!I still like the photo and I think it turned out ok, but I found myself using the 50mm 1.4 much more and eventually got rid of the 77mm for other gear. I also distinctly remember a photo I took where the model was wearing a black and white polka dot shirt and when she wanted to see it afterwards I was so embarrassed that it was purple and white polka dot shirt and she was so confused why the 77mm made it turn out that way lol
Fair enough, looks you you were using the FA77 in about the worst possible conditions for a lens that is known to have these kinds of issues. Strong back light with no fill light to balance it out, bad specular highlights in the background due to strong light through the leaves, and a bright pink on the main subject that due to the harsh lighting conditions is reflecting and flaring casting a pink tint on other parts of the image. It cleaned up ok and in a quick touch in lightroom the purple easily came off the photo and the hair when I tried it just now. I know this style of portrait is quite popular, but yeah it requires choosing a lens that is known to handle that harsh light well. I'm not here to argue for or against your choice, but I will say if this is how you want to shoot then you definitely need lenses that can handle it regardless of what system you are shooting with and the FA77 wouldn't be it. Even then I would still strongly recommend fill light, at least a reflector so that faces are evenly lit and the eyes pop instead of looking shadowed and dead. The fill light also has the effect of lessening the contrast from harsh backlight which contributes to fringing and flaring. I doubt it would eliminate it in this case, but it would lessen it.

Good luck with your Nikon gear.
12-24-2021, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Reading this thread, I have no idea why anyone would pick Pentax over Nikon based on people's opinions. In terms of actual use, I see nothing. Some body got a bad lens, probably a bad copy further damaged somehow.

For Pentax, TaV modę.
Pixels Shift
Shake reduction
Astro-tracer
An excellent lens lineup that has gotten to be considerably stronger over the last few years including best in class DA 55-300 PLM, DFA*s 50 85 and 21 as well DA* 11-18.

Everyone else has fallen behind in DSLRs reinventing the wheel concentrating on mirrorless, while Pentax just keeps chugging along. Unsubstantiated opinions about what the D750 can do that the K-3 can't. Comparing a D750 to a K-3 when Pentax has pretty much caught up in AF.

The same people that when I propose solution for something I they say Pentax is bad at, suggesting work arounds which is bad. But when they make suggestion for work arounds for TaV etc. there's nothing wrong with work arounds.

After awhile the duplicity is so repetitive as to be ignorable. I can track my dog chasing a ball, but others using the same gear can't track their kid. I give up.

Seriously, these discussions are pathetic, unobjective, and don't do anything but build up bias confirmation. I'm out.

I'm scratching my head here. What are we accomplishing?

I remember while ago Ian and I shot dog trotting images. He got 7 out of 7. I got 5 out of 7 and I suspect he deleted the image where the dog was as close to the camera as mine was. We've been through this. It's not as this thread makes it out to be,

Last edited by normhead; 12-24-2021 at 04:58 PM.
12-24-2021, 07:15 PM   #43
Pentaxian

For clarification, the feature is not the same as Auto-ISO on Pentax
https://youtu.be/Tos-RK7zgBU?t=76

It works the same as Pentax TAv

---------- Post added 12-24-2021 at 08:23 PM ----------

Sv is similar: set mode to (P)Program, then you have to hold down the iso button with some finger of the left hand, while your right thumb rolls the thumb-wheel. If you plan on adjusting while shooting, you had better be composed as you will need a third hand to zoom or manual focus.
Just setup your record button to iso and you never have to take your eye away from the OFV and you can easily toggle from manual to auto iso and even adjust your iso setting in other modes

https://youtu.be/jVvwe_hPynA?t=104
12-24-2021, 07:42 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Reading this thread, I have no idea why anyone would pick Pentax over Nikon based on people's opinions. In terms of actual use, I see nothing. Some body got a bad lens, probably a bad copy further damaged somehow.
I happen to agree this thread is accomplishing absolutely nothing. I am only interested in the use case of the OP because it seems to be going down a road I have been down. The use case the OP presented is ideally suited for a Pentax K-1 with a DFA*50 which I happen to own for the same reason and shooting style the OP is after. Some bad luck with lenses and a realization that for what he wanted it would be less money to pick up the used D750 with a 50mm f1.8G. Hard to argue with that, and K1 body would cost more and while the FA 50 f1.4 would suffice the OP didn't have a K1 to put it on. If we are talking K1 with DFA*50 it beats the crap out of a D750 + 50mm F1.8G but for the price it should and the OP has already made his purchase so what difference does it make? The DFA*50 is top of line across all brands (as is the DFA*85), only the Canon RF 50mm f1.2 and one of the Zeis 50s, can't remember which, are on par with it but cost double it's price. So if you are looking for someone to say Pentax has a superior offering, there I will say it, K1 with DFA*50 is better and will do exactly what the OP is after, but he doesn't own that so to what end would we argue that? None of these systems is perfect, you just have to find what meets your needs. Some work on better lighting would help which I have tried to point out, but the OP has also expressed he doesn't want to do that either... so yeah this is a pretty pointless thread.
12-24-2021, 07:57 PM - 3 Likes   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Folks who think this thread is "pointless" simply don't have to participate in it.... or they can, if they wish. It's not my call

I generally enjoy reading what the Pentax to xxx brand switchers have to say.

I switched from DSLR to MILC then back to DSLR, but one particular MILC was probably the most fun camera I ever owned.
Closed Thread