Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 75 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2021, 12:31 PM   #76
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kingman Quote
I am sure this affects the overall performance level of any legacy Nikon glass on a Pentax body.
...and adapted Nikon glass on a Pentax body.

Steve

12-28-2021, 05:26 PM   #77

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think everyone has the right to have whatever system they want and can afford, and don't have to give anyone an explanation for it.

But going to another system and then coming back to a forum about a camera system you don't own anymore, to say a camera from 2013 doesn't cut it so the system must not cut it, is kind of like divorcing your wife for a slightly younger and better equipped (ahem, full frame) woman, and then going back to your ex-wife's house and saying "see, she's got all these flaws, but she's still so much better than you....".

I'm actually surprised at how well this discussion has been going, considering the premise.
This very thought (minus the hilarious wife analogy) went through my mind today. I mean no disrespect to the OP who seems like a decent enough guy, but I started wondering, "If I suddenly went Canon, would I mention it in the Nikon forum?" I don't think so, for two reasons: one, if I've left the brand then I'm DONE, and two, well, have you guys ever SEEN the Nikon forum??? I mean THIS place can SPOIL a person real quick if you actually want intelligent discussion, accurate technical reviews especially of lenses, and so on. Just like my experience with settings on my Nikon, after being here in the Pentax forum, I just ASSUMED that the Nikon forum would be AT LEAST on a par...THEN I FOUND OUT...

---------- Post added 12-28-21 at 05:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingman Quote
It is understandable to switch to a faster focusing system but IMHO, going to possibly the Sony A7 series might have been more interesting in that the better compatibility of using legacy Pentax glass on Sony FE bodies. On another note I have some older Nikon legacy lenses from the Nikon Ftn day and I am able to use them on Pentax K mount with an adapter that includes a lens. I am sure this affects the overall performance level of any legacy Nikon glass on a Pentax body.
I use such an adapter for my much loved Nikkor 105 f2.5 Ai lens. Admittedly my testing hasn't been extensive yet, but what I've seen thus far, that singular element adapter is pretty much imperceptible. As time permits I want to test more of my Nikon lenses on my K1 II, as well as some Pentax lenses on my D750. I picked up a neat adapter for this that actually has an aperture ring built-in, to allow you to adjust the iris on Pentax lenses such as the DA series which have no ring to manually adjust. Maybe sometime I'll post a review 🤗
12-29-2021, 03:57 AM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This has been noted starting more than 10 years ago. Other manufacturers are comfortable with a higher frame rate, but a lower hit rate. It makes sense if you think about it. The easiest way to increase frame rate is to reduce the time and accuracy it takes to lock focus. Of course the most expensive cameras do both. But down in consumer land, faster FPS almost always means a lower keeper rate.
Yeah, this makes sense. I think it also comes down to how one approaches events such as this. Personally I like to try and predict an interesting moment, select the appropriate focus point beforehand, pre-compose, sometimes pre-focus, then when it finally happens I always take only one shot. I don't like shooting a burst at high fps like some people do, hoping that at least one of them will be ok. But yes, they might still get it by doing this, while the disadvantage of what I'm doing is that I have only one chance, if I miss that only frame the moment is lost.

Something I don't quite understand is that I've seen a lot of ML cameras missing focus. I don't know so much about focusing systems, but since they are using contrast AF, shouldn't that be always very accurate because it's not prone to BF/FF?
12-29-2021, 04:30 AM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MILC cameras are also using PDAF, just on sensor one.

As for burst I often use it when spotting planes. First reason is that when they zoom past me and I have keep track and change focal length there is always a chance of something going wrong. Second is that things happen so fast, that when something interesting happens (like bird close by or some flare on exhaust gases) there is big chance that I miss it just because I do not have reaction time for such short events. Sure, I can work with single shot but it is simpler with burst. What really surprised me with K-3 Mk III is that almost all shots are in focus and it is only bad framing that I had to remove them. Or choose one from many similar.

If I good remember my time with Nikon Z6 it never had issues with AF and keeper rate, I had more issues with framing due to balance (big heavy lens + light camera body) then AF. Both cameras were performing more or less same so keeper rate close to 100% when it comes to AF performance.

01-04-2022, 01:34 AM   #80

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think everyone has the right to have whatever system they want and can afford, and don't have to give anyone an explanation for it.

But going to another system and then coming back to a forum about a camera system you don't own anymore, to say a camera from 2013 doesn't cut it so the system must not cut it, is kind of like divorcing your wife for a slightly younger and better equipped (ahem, full frame) woman, and then going back to your ex-wife's house and saying "see, she's got all these flaws, but she's still so much better than you....".

I'm actually surprised at how well this discussion has been going, considering the premise.

Reading all these arguments,
I find this very interesting as you manage to squeeze the analogy of new and ex-wife.
Funny but on the dot.

Cheers
01-04-2022, 07:35 AM - 3 Likes   #81
Loyal Site Supporter

I switched from Nikon to Pentax decades ago because Pentax lenses make nicer looking pictures than Nikkor lenses. To me, the quality of the image that the lens projects is the most important aspect of photography. All the other features that they can load onto a camera are of no importance if the image looks like junk because the lens doesn't make a nice looking picture.
To me, the people who jump brands based on anything other than what do the pictures coming off the lens look like aren't looking at pictures, they are looking at specification.
01-04-2022, 07:55 AM - 2 Likes   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I switched from Nikon to Pentax decades ago because Pentax lenses make nicer looking pictures than Nikkor lenses. To me, the quality of the image that the lens projects is the most important aspect of photography. All the other features that they can load onto a camera are of no importance if the image looks like junk because the lens doesn't make a nice looking picture.
To me, the people who jump brands based on anything other than what do the pictures coming off the lens look like aren't looking at pictures, they are looking at specification.
I'm with you 100%... can't "like" your comment enough! I don't even feel envy towards people that shoot with much more expensive equipment because I feel that I get the look that I want from what I have.

I do understand people that have specific needs - like a sports photographer - choosing a system more based on AF performance than the images themselves. But for the kinds of pictures that most of us make, Pentax lenses deliver as far as I am concerned.

01-04-2022, 08:09 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, at this point I like the output of my lenses (or I don't dislike the output of a couple to the point I'd care for replacing them with much more expensive versions) too much to change. I like the output of other brands' lenses* too, but they don't mount on the K-1 and I ain't made of money to maintain parallel systems . If I had the typical "this system is unusable and it makes me lose too many shots" grievances, I might be willing to consider another system... but I don't.

*For example, the Canon 24-70/4L is probably the only lens I envy Canon users for - 0.7x macro, handles well, it's technically very competent, and I really like the lens' rendering. On the other hand, any old Pentax 50/1.7 - nevermind the 43 LTD - rocks the socks (and probably the rest of the wardrobe) off the Canon 50/1.8 (or even off the 50/1.4)... so it's not a net win system-wise, not in the slightest. They don't have a 77, and their lightweight 24-105 is much worse than the DFA 28-105 as well!
01-05-2022, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #84
Pentaxian

While I largely agree, there must surely be people that bought CaNikOny cameras because they were told they're the only options and then switched to something else because ergonomics or lens selection or build quality or some other aspect was superior.
01-15-2022, 12:55 PM - 5 Likes   #85
Veteran Member

I must admit that I have thought pretty hard about sharing any of my experiences here on the forum regarding my Nikon Gear. If I do mention it, I tip-toe. There are few things that can get the natives more riled up then when someone dismisses their favorite gear. Its why I stopped reading Pentax reviews on other sites. I find them mostly biased against Pentax to some degree.

My Confession...I shoot Nikon dslr cameras. Its an affair that started during the pandemic while I waited on the K3 mk 3 release. . I use them mostly with longer lens...its what attracted me to try Nikon. I use an old tamron 200-500 mm and I also have the Tamron G2 150-600 which is phenomenal for me and and wild life shots and has a dedicated Tele-converter thats decent as well.. Unfortunately where I live there are few opportunities to zoom with my feet , I needed a lens with reach. I had the DFA 150-450, but was not really thrilled with it on a K3 mk1 . In my case one could say I got involved with Nikon because I wanted to shoot long lenses that were not available with Pentax. The D500 is a beast and has earned my respect, coupled with the Tamron 150-600 g2, its been everything I wanted for Birds and critters at a budget I could afford. I have zero interest in mirrorless systems so if Nikon closes the chapter on their DSLR's so too my interest in Nikon closes.

I did not jump ship though. I have been with Pentax over 30 years. In that time I have amassed many film and digital bodies. Pentax was my first system and will always be my main system. I have copies of istD, k10,k20d,k3,k1 mk1, and k3 mk3, I also have an assortment of 3rd party glass, and pentax glass, including the DFA 70-200 and 150-450. A good amount of gear came from the forum market place. btw, The K3-mk3 is an amazing Beast as well and has earned my respect too. The K3-3 to me is really an incredible camera to work with. It works great on my DFA150-450 and is awesome on my DFA 100 macro.

When I go out for photography..99 % of the time Its nature and wildlife. I generally have a backpack of pentax Gear with me (K1 and K3 mk3 and range of lenses ) and take my nikon d500 with Tamrons, either the 200-500 if walking or the 150-600 if using a tripod. Depending on what I am shooting I will use one or the other system... sometimes both .. Generally the Nikon gear is for my bird photography. Pentax is everything else and my bird photography. I really have no small lens for Nikon, that was never my intent...nor do I have any notable Nikon Glass, its generally too expensive for me.

I know for many people it comes down to a choice of systems..I can certainly appreciate that. I decided that as much as I Love my pentax gear, I wanted to explore nikon with 3rd party lenses and ultimately found a way to use both in my hobby and it has been a huge benefit to me.. Not because Nikon is better than Pentax but because my appreciation of photography as my hobby of choice grew more the last 2 years than at any other point thanks to working with both systems. Both systems are very very capable. For me a hobby needs to be enjoyable and I can say with 100% certainty that both Nikon and Pentax have helped make my Hobby more enjoyable. I know this isn't a quantitative review...I don't do those,They mean little to me... I just shoot pics with gear and if I like the results I continue using the gear regardless of what some wonk on a review site says. Probably why Pentax has been my go to for all these years.
01-16-2022, 05:10 PM   #86

OP was very clear on why they started the thread - to gather information so that this thread can help others looking for the same type of information. (And there are already Nikon users following this thread.) And why are camera users so hung up on others “jumping ship”? Are you all pirates? So a fellow pirate boarding another ship means they are a dead man to their former crew?

To those comparing this to new wives and ex-wives.. Are you really comparing your cameras to your wives? And what would they say if I told them about that?
Also, why should one not be able to come to the Pentax forum without having a Pentax? If you met a friendly Nikon user IRL that wants to chat about cameras - compare cameras based on their own experiences and talk about problems, would you attack them for not owning a Pentax anymore?
(And not that it should matter but if you took the time to check OPs profile - member since 2013 and has owned a lot of Pentax gear.. I find that OP comes by as a friendly person that thought it would be helpful with this thread.)

Btw, if someone missed this - from OP:
“Anyways, these are my observations so far, I may add some more later. I just thought I would start a thread for those who own or have owned both Pentax K and Nikon F mount to add any knowledge or observations they have had about using each system to help those who plan on moving to Pentax or Nikon to help weigh pros and cons of each. Hopefully F mount isn't "doomed" as it seems people are thinking mirrorless is slowly taking over but a pentaprism will always be #1 in my book!”

And to Norm, I understand that Pentax has gotten a lot of bad press over the years, but are you not defending Pentax a bit too hard in a thread that is meant to be helpful? Unless we are talking about wives, in that case I do apologise.
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Exactly, telling other people what they can and can't do with their gear is always going to invite contradiction. Some people will be more capable with said piece of equipment, some less, we have no way to evaluate what we're looking at.

If the OP had just said he was happy with his purchase, I think everyone would have been happy. As soon as he says " I couldn't have done this with my K-3" some of thus will look at it and think.."that shot? no problem, what's the issue?"
I feel that the OP was pretty clear already in the first post that OPs opinions were just that, OPs own experience. Not what other people can and can’t do.. And the “ I ” in " I couldn't have done this with my K-3" is a strong indication of OPs own experience. Why attack another persons experience?

Who are you to say they aren’t also looking at pictures? There isn’t one type of person so there isn’t one type of photographer.. Clearly the OP wanted and needed something different to capture the photos they wished for. Is it not possible with different approaches for the same goal?

To those attacking OPs personal experience, why can’t a person have different needs/wants? Am I not allowed to enjoy using different equipment to you, or find that I like another brand better than the one you like? Can’t I be subjective in what I enjoy using? Does it have to based on technical specifications? What if I feel that brand X makes me happier for xyz reasons? Someone else might find reasons yz important to them, then this thread can be a helpful start. Now, anyone happening to find this thread while researching will probably be scared off by the very defensive tone here.. Now I understand that capturing toddlers IS possible with a Pentax but OP DID find it challenging and this thread having a pretty persistent tone about OP being in the wrong does not help the image of this forum...

(And what does it matter how people at the Nikon forum are like?)

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 01-16-2022 at 06:53 PM. Reason: remove profanity
01-16-2022, 06:25 PM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fiaskemist Quote
OP was very clear on why they started the thread - to gather information so that this thread can help others looking for the same type of information. (And there are already Nikon users following this thread.) And why are camera users so hung up on others “jumping ship”? Are you all pirates? So a fellow pirate boarding another ship means they are a dead man to their former crew?

To those comparing this to new wives and ex-wives.. Are you really comparing your cameras to your wives? And what would they say if I told them about that?
Also, why should one not be able to come to the Pentax forum without having a Pentax? If you met a friendly Nikon user IRL that wants to chat about cameras - compare cameras based on their own experiences and talk about problems, would you attack them for not owning a Pentax anymore?
(And not that it should matter but if you took the time to check OPs profile - member since 2013 and has owned a lot of Pentax gear.. I find that OP comes by as a friendly person that thought it would be helpful with this thread.)

Btw, if someone missed this - from OP:
“Anyways, these are my observations so far, I may add some more later. I just thought I would start a thread for those who own or have owned both Pentax K and Nikon F mount to add any knowledge or observations they have had about using each system to help those who plan on moving to Pentax or Nikon to help weigh pros and cons of each. Hopefully F mount isn't "doomed" as it seems people are thinking mirrorless is slowly taking over but a pentaprism will always be #1 in my book!”

And to Norm, I understand that Pentax has gotten a lot of bad press over the years, but are you not defending Pentax a bit too hard in a thread that is meant to be helpful? Unless we are talking about wives, in that case I do apologise.

I feel that the OP was pretty clear already in the first post that OPs opinions were just that, OPs own experience. Not what other people can and can’t do.. And the “ I ” in " I couldn't have done this with my K-3" is a strong indication of OPs own experience. Why attack another persons experience?

Who are you to say they aren’t also looking at pictures? There isn’t one type of person so there isn’t one type of photographer.. Clearly the OP wanted and needed something different to capture the photos they wished for. Is it not possible with different approaches for the same goal?

To those attacking OPs personal experience, why can’t a person have different needs/wants? Am I not allowed to enjoy using different equipment to you, or find that I like another brand better than the one you like? Can’t I be subjective in what I enjoy using? Does it have to based on technical specifications? What if I feel that brand X makes me happier for xyz reasons? Someone else might find reasons yz important to them, then this thread can be a helpful start. Now, anyone happening to find this thread while researching will probably be scared off by the very defensive tone here.. Now I understand that capturing toddlers IS possible with a Pentax but OP DID find it challenging and this thread having a pretty persistent tone about OP being in the wrong does not help the image of this forum...

(And what does it matter how people at the Nikon forum are like?)
Why is the OP's opinion valid, but Norm's (or mine) apparently isn't?
Just wondering.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 01-16-2022 at 06:54 PM. Reason: remove profanity from quote
01-16-2022, 06:57 PM - 4 Likes   #88
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just wondering.
As personal experience they're all equal and valid. Sometimes we just think our own opinion is more equal and valid and create arguments where one shouldn't exist.
01-16-2022, 11:28 PM - 1 Like   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Opinions are like armpits, we all have them and without care they can smell.😀
01-17-2022, 04:11 AM   #90

Just wondering.
Where did I write or even imply that? Could you please read my previous post again? I am asking because you do seem to have missed my point completely and I was just trying to help this thread turn a bit more nice. Also, in your own very post I quoted previously, aren’t you the one sort of implying that others opinions are not valid by making an “either or” statement...? The way you categorise people - either they are looking at pictures or they are not, based on what YOU find important. Come on, can’t people have different approaches?

If reading my post again doesn’t help, how about I use a similar example. Might help you understand my point:
I come here and share how I felt it difficult to drive to work in a manual clutch car so I changed to an automatic. I came by just to create a friendly space where others that are deciding between manual and automatic can find some help. But I get attacked from others about my personal experience with manual clutch. I understand that YOU can get to work in a manual clutch but I couldn’t and I am now enjoying my new automatic. I get accused for not figuring out my old manual clutch, and made not feel welcome here etc. Then I get accused of not having the true experience of driving, that I’m just looking at the features of automatics. But I do enjoy the experience, in my own way, in the automatic.

I find it a bit amusing that there were some in this thread that just couldn’t resist “coming to Pentax rescue and defend it’s honour”... This thread was never supposed to be an all out comparison thread, or a “Pentax bashing” thread. Maybe read OP a bit more throughly in the future to avoid misunderstanding? OP was sharing their personal experience.

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-17-2022 at 04:32 AM. Reason: remove personally directed comments
Closed Thread