Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2021, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Crop Factor

Yes, that thread title might be designed as click bait and yes, I may have been known as a rabble-rouser in my early years, but in this case I just thought a well explained video about a subject which often finds discussion in this forum, might be of interest to those who have questions about it. I know of at least one fist fight started over the issue of "crop factor" so please no chair slinging. I happen to come across this video while looking for something totally different, but it caught my eye and I ended up watching it in its entirety. Although it doesn't feature any Pentax products, it contains some good examples and the presenter is knowledgeable in the field (not related nor do I know him other than through this video).

That said, enjoy (watch it clear to the end statement and take a deep breath):

Last edited by Bob 256; 12-30-2021 at 07:33 PM.
12-31-2021, 02:53 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The video is an old one, and the "well explained" bit is not getting across if you read some of the comments on YT.....

like this one ... "One point unaddressed re crop sensors though is the fact they provide an instant boost in magnification for macro photography which is one advantage of not going full frame"

It seems the crop factor is as misunderstood as ever

Last edited by pschlute; 12-31-2021 at 05:01 AM.
12-31-2021, 06:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Crop factor would not be my main reason to use my Apsc K3 ll for some macro work vs using my Full Frame K1. Personally I think the use of the term crop factor has way out served it's useful purpose. As much as I disagree with much of TN's posted information personally I did find this one to have a lot of good information I hadn't given much thought to.
12-31-2021, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The video is an old one, and the "well explained" bit is not getting across if you read some of the comments on YT.....

like this one ... "One point unaddressed re crop sensors though is the fact they provide an instant boost in magnification for macro photography which is one advantage of not going full frame"

The fact that it's a 20 minute video to explain a 2 minute concept probably doesn't help - I haven't watch it but I wouldn't be surprised if the presenter was overcomplicating it.

12-31-2021, 09:28 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
The fact that it's a 20 minute video to explain a 2 minute concept probably doesn't help
12-31-2021, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
The fact that it's a 20 minute video to explain a 2 minute concept probably doesn't help - I haven't watch it but I wouldn't be surprised if the presenter was overcomplicating it.
Then watch it. He goes well beyond the 2 minute concept and shows some real world examples of how CF affects three different formats. Simple enough explanations for me and the fact that "it's an old video" doesn't make it irrelevant. I have a pretty good concept of CF but still learned a few new things with this video (and there are some pretty awesome lenses shown in the examples).
12-31-2021, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
He goes well beyond the 2 minute concept and shows some real world examples of how CF affects three different formats.
I watched it and thought it was a comprehensive, clear, and drama-free treatment of the subject. While I don't need to compare different formats (I shoot APS-C only), I found that the tutorial presented an interesting overview of the subject. It was humorous in spots, e.g., the comparison of the Nikon 600mm f/4 beast to the M43 300/4 mini-beast. Also interesting that Tony mentioned the potential of smaller formats for certain use cases.

As for his presentation style, I think he was well-prepared and had all of his props close at hand. His examples were relevant, and he walked through the math in a way that would suit any viewer. Pretty good job, I'd say.

- Craig

12-31-2021, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well well well, maybe Tony Northrupp has finally got it re crop factor, only taken him about 10 yrs! He has previously contributed greatly to the confusion and angst.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 01-01-2022 at 03:59 AM.
12-31-2021, 02:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Well well well, maybe Tony Northrupp has finally got it re crop factor, only taken him abut 10 yrs! He has previously contributed greatly to the confusion and angst.
I did see him do a little earlier presentation and he didn't quite seem to understand CF himself, but I think in this video he pretty much nailed it. As confusing as CF can be, 10 years is about right
12-31-2021, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I did see him do a little earlier presentation and he didn't quite seem to understand CF himself
Yep, I advise for anyone to seek better sources of knowledge about photography than Tony and Chelsea Northrup.
01-01-2022, 06:49 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I did see him do a little earlier presentation and he didn't quite seem to understand CF himself
Maybe that was the one I saw, or maybe he gets it wrong in other videos too. I was watching him, and thought I had misheard or misunderstood what he was saying. So I re-played it and then realised that the man did not know what he was talking about. I've not watched him since.

The trouble is that Northrup sounds so authorative, coming over as if he knows everything. He doesn't, but many people assume that he does.
01-01-2022, 08:11 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote

Technically you are correct but we photographers are not concerned with magnification but frame filling properties. 1:1 magnification on APS fill 50% more of the frame than on FF.
01-01-2022, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

10 years ago, when all this started my response was "forget 'crop factor' look through the viewfinder of your camera, figure out what you need to get the image you want." Nothing has changed. Zoom lenses have removed any use of crop factor type calculations. Frame through the viewfinder, not with the aid of a crop factor table. For comparison purposes I used my wife's k-5 and DFA 28-105, at ~35mm, used my K-1 with the same lens at ~50mm. I kept the edges of the frame constant and used the zoom to get the desired view, on both images. This produced no discernible difference in the image viewed at the size of the APS-c image.

I guess if you use two formats that use the same lenses and mostly use primes, being able to figure out crop factor might be a thing. Personally, I've never found it any use at all. I know what lens I want to use on which system when I look at the scene. Experiential knowledge trumps math in that it's instant.

The viewfinder is real.( At least with an OVF) The crop factor is derivative, it's only as good as your math skills.

Last edited by normhead; 01-01-2022 at 08:35 AM.