Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 107 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2022, 12:30 PM - 2 Likes   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Ouch! Well, 50, I suppose, is older, but I don’t have much experience shooting film, and I don’t have much experience with other systems, so I guess this kinda describes me. I don’t know if that is a bad thing, maybe just a meh thing! For the record, and a bit off topic, I consider “smart phones” the 110 cameras of the 21st century, and DSLR shooters are those who want to put in the work to learn photography, but that’s a whole ‘nother topic!
For 95% of what most people shoot, any camera will do.

For pictures like this, which are just basically shooting image of where I live...

Any camera will do, even my step-son's phone.

For images like this

Or this

The flexibility of a ILC is critical.

But most of the time...
For this (ZS100)

Or this, K-3 and

Or this
K-1 and FA 50 macro

Does any one even care what camera I took the picture with? As long as I get the results I intended, why does it matter?

Nothing bothers me more than "What did you take that picture with?" Because to me that's the least important element of the picture. Most images, I could take with any system. If they like the image what they should be asking is "What was your thought process when you were taking that?"

What are the things that keep me with Pentax....
Pixel Shift with Live View

The IBIS allows me to make use of an excellent older lens like my FA 50 macro, which may actually be better edge to edge than the new D FA*50 1.4 if you don't evaluate the out of focus areas, with a 1/13s exposure and hand held.
K-1 and FA 50 macro

Those are 5%er images. Not every day images.

Last edited by normhead; 01-12-2022 at 12:46 PM.
01-12-2022, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #77
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure brand loyalty is quite what it used to be. When I was a kid, people stuck to their chosen brand through generations. With cars, there were Holden (GM) families and Ford families. There are certainly now Honda families or Toyota families or whatever, but the adherence is less. Most tradies here used to drive Toyota Hilux utes. Reliable, "unbreakable". But Toyota got complacent and Ford Rangers got a big slice of that market in a few years (aided by favourable reviews and aggressive marketing) because they offered more for less. (Until users got to experience Ford support after being used to Toyota support.) My cars: Toyota, Holden, Ford, Hyundai, Holden, Suzuki, Toyota, Skoda, Ford. Many people would be like that now.

I'm sure what the Ricoh exec said in the interview @Luftluss quoted is right, that there are still a lot of Pentax families. Maybe they form a higher proportion of users than Sony families or Nikon families or Canon families form in their user base. If so, that's a strength for the Pentax brand in a way, and a buffer against the shrinkage in the ILC market.

My guess would be that in the diminishing pool of first-time ILC buyers, consumers are less driven by brand-adherence than they once were. It's the same as with cars or toasters. Pentax is defining itself as a niche product. That might appeal on its merits to a slice of that brand-agnostic market. I see a lot of new users here who have been drawn in that way, in addition to the ones who come as members of Pentax families.

Of course you might say, brand adherence in electronics products is not dead. There are Apple users and there are Windows users. There are iphones and ipads and there are Android phones and tablets (mostly Samsungs). Few people cross from one to the other. But that's because you spend time getting familiar with one system and you need a good reason to switch and start over. The same is true to some extent with camera systems. But I'm talking about people who are new to ILCs. They don't have an investment in one system, either in terms of knowledge or gear. Those people are open to new systems. You would think a little marketing nudge might help, but how much I don't know - I'm no expert on such things.

The video of Takuma Kimura that Norm linked to is worth watching and sharing with anyone who asks about Pentax. In a way, even though he is a pro, Takuma represents the new generation of buyers, including enthusiasts. He has Olympus, Sony and Pentax cameras and explains what how each suits one aspect of what he does. His advice: find your own mode of expression and "find a camera that makes you happy when you shoot with it". He chose Pentax for pleasure and creativity.

Last edited by Des; 01-12-2022 at 03:11 PM.
01-12-2022, 03:14 PM   #78
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For 95% of what most people shoot, any camera will do.

For pictures like this, which are just basically shooting image of where I live...

Any camera will do, even my step-son's phone.

For images like this

Or this

The flexibility of a ILC is critical.

But most of the time...
For this (ZS100)

Or this, K-3 and

Or this
K-1 and FA 50 macro

Does any one even care what camera I took the picture with? As long as I get the results I intended, why does it matter?

Nothing bothers me more than "What did you take that picture with?" Because to me that's the least important element of the picture. Most images, I could take with any system. If they like the image what they should be asking is "What was your thought process when you were taking that?"

What are the things that keep me with Pentax....
Pixel Shift with Live View

The IBIS allows me to make use of an excellent older lens like my FA 50 macro, which may actually be better edge to edge than the new D FA*50 1.4 if you don't evaluate the out of focus areas, with a 1/13s exposure and hand held.
K-1 and FA 50 macro

Those are 5%er images. Not every day images.
Well, no, you are right, it does not matter what camera was used just like it doesn’t matter what paintbrush an artist used. I personally have more fun and get more satisfaction from using a DSLR than I did shooting a P&S on film. I know the creativity comes from the photographer, but it is still fun to talk shop, which is why we have PF!!!

---------- Post added 01-12-22 at 05:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JayDog72 Quote
As a long-time dedicated Pentaxian, I agree with your commentaries. I also like being a bit different and I have fun answering questions from other photographers about my Pentax DSLRs. I get the most questions about my K-01 when I use it with a 55-300mm lens! (It does look a bit odd!!)
Sweet setup with the K01! Pentax is so versatile!! I wish there would be a K01 mkII!

---------- Post added 01-12-22 at 05:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Signguy Quote
I was out of the photography seen all together for a number of years. Previous new camera was a canon EF in the 70's. When I finally had $ to purchase a DSLR I bought strictly for price, KS2 with kit zoom lens. I would simply not do without the adjustable viewing screen and the mirror as I use them both equally. I've had my KS2 for about 4 yrs. and can't believe the features it has! I don't care to list them all here, but because of them my creativity just plain blooms at times because of them. I do get looks occasionally from people when hiking the US, mostly western states - love the desert! When at Calf Creek Falls in Utah a Pentax guy from France with a fully loaded bag tapped me on the shoulder and handed me his Pentax fisheye and motioned to me to put it on my camera and shoot a few. Knowing the cost of that lens I was quite surprised to say the least. We compared a couple pix on our viewing screens, shook hands and parted company. When I started to look into better lenses I found out what a niche brand Pentax is. Gratefully I now have a large selection of lenses from 10mm thru 300mm. I bought 2 old, used, but great condition, lenses which are totally manual - back to the good old days! In short I'm happy to be a "Pentaxian" because of all the additional creative and fun opportunities I now have despite my lack of $, oh yes the weather sealing is fantastic, too!! While I'm not a professional by any means I do enjoy this sport tremendously and with digital I get enough pix from one trip to keep me busy until the next one. Another note: I always liked the sound of David Bowie like que es tu! Wish I could catch a ride with "Major Tom" to get some pix from the window of his "tin can"!
Alright!! A Bowie fan and a Pentax fan! Gotta love it!! I have a fondness for my “injured”KS2 still, and am working on reviving it!. Awesome experience with the guy from France!!

Last edited by que es tu; 01-12-2022 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Misspelled words
01-12-2022, 11:54 PM   #79
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I'm not sure brand loyalty is quite what it used to be. When I was a kid, people stuck to their chosen brand through generations. With cars, there were Holden (GM) families and Ford families. There are certainly now Honda families or Toyota families or whatever, but the adherence is less. Most tradies here used to drive Toyota Hilux utes. Reliable, "unbreakable". But Toyota got complacent and Ford Rangers got a big slice of that market in a few years (aided by favourable reviews and aggressive marketing) because they offered more for less. (Until users got to experience Ford support after being used to Toyota support.) My cars: Toyota, Holden, Ford, Hyundai, Holden, Suzuki, Toyota, Skoda, Ford. Many people would be like that now.

I'm sure what the Ricoh exec said in the interview @Luftluss quoted is right, that there are still a lot of Pentax families. Maybe they form a higher proportion of users than Sony families or Nikon families or Canon families form in their user base. If so, that's a strength for the Pentax brand in a way, and a buffer against the shrinkage in the ILC market.

My guess would be that in the diminishing pool of first-time ILC buyers, consumers are less driven by brand-adherence than they once were. It's the same as with cars or toasters. Pentax is defining itself as a niche product. That might appeal on its merits to a slice of that brand-agnostic market. I see a lot of new users here who have been drawn in that way, in addition to the ones who come as members of Pentax families.

Of course you might say, brand adherence in electronics products is not dead. There are Apple users and there are Windows users. There are iphones and ipads and there are Android phones and tablets (mostly Samsungs). Few people cross from one to the other. But that's because you spend time getting familiar with one system and you need a good reason to switch and start over. The same is true to some extent with camera systems. But I'm talking about people who are new to ILCs. They don't have an investment in one system, either in terms of knowledge or gear. Those people are open to new systems. You would think a little marketing nudge might help, but how much I don't know - I'm no expert on such things.

The video of Takuma Kimura that Norm linked to is worth watching and sharing with anyone who asks about Pentax. In a way, even though he is a pro, Takuma represents the new generation of buyers, including enthusiasts. He has Olympus, Sony and Pentax cameras and explains what how each suits one aspect of what he does. His advice: find your own mode of expression and "find a camera that makes you happy when you shoot with it". He chose Pentax for pleasure and creativity.
That video is a good thing to watch, as it is NOT a normal modern purchase evaluation.

If you actually go in deep on the modern photo forums,,, your only allowed to base your purchase decision on the current buzzwords of the review magazines.

And Pentax is NOT a buzzword

10-21-2023, 04:25 PM - 3 Likes   #80

I’m a Pentax person for the same reason I drove Volvo’s 50+ years ago. For me, it is about “lagom” - a Swedish word that means something like “just right” - not the most expensive, not the cheapest, but one that fits. I do a probably excessive amount of research when I invest in a car, a bicycle, cookware, appliances, television and anything that is lagom to me: durable, pragmatic, serviceable, function over form, not ostentatious, suited to my skill level…that sort of thing. I have almost never experienced “buyers remorse.” I’m happy with what I end up with. In the case of photo equipment I know with some certainty that used equipment is just as good as new for someone with my limited skill level and aspirations. The simple fact is I that I am not now, never was and never will be a professional photographer. For me it is about artistic self expression. In the past I shot film, developed and printed it. Digital has expanded my opportunity for the perfect combination of experiment, exploration and learning. I can always improve - and I love that!
10-22-2023, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Viking55803 Quote
I do a probably excessive amount of research when I invest in a car, a bicycle, cookware, appliances, television and anything that is lagom to me: durable, pragmatic, serviceable, function over form, not ostentatious, suited to my skill level…that sort of thing. I have almost never experienced “buyers remorse.”
I'm glad to hear of someone with my own attitude

QuoteOriginally posted by Viking55803 Quote
The simple fact is I that I am not now, never was and never will be a professional photographer.
Being professional does not necessarily mean knowing more, doing better, or even having better kit, whether in photography or any other field; it is a fallacy that is often heard. Many of the best photographers on this forum are amateurs, and professionals are usually constrained by their clients' demands, not least in time and cost, and which are unlikely to involve much artistic consideration.

As an example, my father was a semi-professional photographer in that he covered weddings as a Saturday job with a small studio company. He was obliged to use a company camera which was inferior to the one he owned privately, and he would grumble that his company darkroom (staffed by school-leavers by the sound of it) took less care over making the prints than he would take in his own amateur darkroom at home.
10-23-2023, 02:58 AM - 3 Likes   #82
Pentaxian

'We' are not different - 'they' are.

11-14-2023, 09:11 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
somewhat. People see I use a Pentax and if it's a serious gear head, they watch and are curious. I've been treated like I'm using a Leica or something because most people just don't understand Pentax. I see legions of Nikon, Canon, Sony users and rarely anyone cares. You pull out something most people haven't seen, they either ignore as they don't care or they're intrigued. Not all have that experience, but that's usually mine.
11-15-2023, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #84
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was thinking of this while driving into work today. I have noticed (or it may just be myimagination) that I seem to get lots of curious glances from otherphotographers who are using Canon or Nikon when I am out with my Pentaxgear. People also occasionally ask aboutPentax, or remember fondly when they used Pentax in the past. All this makes me feel like shooting Pentaxis like entering a kind of club or that Pentax users are unique or maybe just alittle odd!! So, does anyone else feellike Pentax marks us as different from the other photogs?? I certainly didn’t come to Pentax expectingto stand out, I just liked the glass pentaprism, 2 control wheels, and weathersealing. After I got here I started tonotice a curiosity form people that the “other” brands didn’t receive. So yeah, I feel like investing in Pentax is away to say “I march to a different drummer and don’t just do what the rest ofthe crowd is doing.” Does anyone elsefeel that Pentax sets you apart, or that there is a kind of exclusivity tobeing a Pentaxian? If so, do you likethat, or would you rather be more invisible?? I’m sure that any psychologists out there will have a field day with me,but I kind of like it!! Anyone else??
I certainly hope I am a little different. I used to farm sheep and quite frankly being " just one of the flock" isn't an attractive proposition. Having said that the one that went it's own way got picked on by my huntaway dog - such is life!
I belong to a photgraphy club of 80 -100 members.
I am the only Pentax shooter.
I am the only Linux user.
There is one other Gimp user and she is using it on my advice.
I am the only one who exclusively uses prime lenses.
I certainly am treated as being a little different by my fellow members but that is in a nice and complementary way.
So definitely I am odd!.
But the interesting thing is I feel right at home here on this forum. So I think that means we are all a little odd!.

EDIT I forgot that "Transit" from PF has just joined the club so i am not quite alone!
11-15-2023, 08:03 AM   #85

You can make a little club with anything,

I use Pentax because it was one of the first cameras I owned, so I have a fondness for the company. When I did research into getting a better camera body my main consideration was cost, from my point of view I got more bang for my buck with a Pentax camera. The fact that they still use the K-mount only added to my excitement because I could find older lenses for cheaper that would still work with the newer cameras. I didn't have to venture into the world of adapters, would this lens fit? It was simpler for me. I do kinda have my own little grudge against canon (which is nonsensical) which didn't help.
I do admit that the Fujifilm mirrorless is an enticing option, and maybe in the long run might become my main camera (When i get the money).
11-15-2023, 08:09 AM - 2 Likes   #86

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
'We' are not different - 'they' are.
👍Right.
11-15-2023, 09:44 AM - 2 Likes   #87
Pentaxian

...People also occasionally ask about Pentax, or remember fondly when they used Pentax in the past. All this makes me feel like shooting Pentaxis like entering a kind of club or that Pentax users are unique or maybe just alittle odd!!...
Years ago, I had a guy stop and chat me up about my Pentax gear. I believe he said he worked in a camera shop and sold a lot of Pentax film gear, and he remembered it fondly. Nowadays, I don't feel like I'm odd because I use a Pentax, however I do feel odd that I'm using a real genuine camera. I see so few of them these days, I feel like those of us who haven't abandoned the journey in favor of a cell phone are part of a club. I admit that I do try and identify the make/model of camera gear others are using with variable success. So far, I've spotted exactly one other Pentax in the wild.
11-15-2023, 09:56 AM   #88
Pentaxian

Outside the tourist areas most cameras I see are Fuji's or Leicas plus film dslr's. As people have mentioned I feel having a camera has become a bigger deal outside the city centre. No one really cared before but now I have a few people, mostly kids, commenting.
11-15-2023, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I do feel odd that I'm using a real genuine camera. I see so few of them these days.
Exactly this, Jason. 100% agree!
11-16-2023, 03:11 AM - 1 Like   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Years ago, I had a guy stop and chat me up about my Pentax gear. I believe he said he worked in a camera shop and sold a lot of Pentax film gear, and he remembered it fondly. Nowadays, I don't feel like I'm odd because I use a Pentax, however I do feel odd that I'm using a real genuine camera. I see so few of them these days, I feel like those of us who haven't abandoned the journey in favor of a cell phone are part of a club. I admit that I do try and identify the make/model of camera gear others are using with variable success. So far, I've spotted exactly one other Pentax in the wild.
Absolutely agreed! It's getting rarer and rarer to see people take photos with proper cameras.