Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2022, 10:32 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Crazy suggestion: PENTAX Refconverter A reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

01-13-2022, 11:52 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
My visual acuity drops as I look closer to about 25cm, eye resolving power isn't constant with viewing distance, there's a range of distances where the eye resolves the best, that's why 300PPI is often said to be the upper useful resolution limits as most people can't see more detail even looking as close as they can. To give the same impression of details of a 300PPI print at 30cm viewing distance, still requires at least 200PPI printed at 90cm instead of just 300PPI / (90/30) = 100PPI. I've done test prints, at 2 meters viewing distance I still need 120PPI to give the impression of details like 300PPI at 30cm, whereas the theoretical viewing distance proportional resolution should be about 45PPI at 200 cm. 720PPI even viewing at 12cm is completely useless, nobody can tell the difference between 720PPI and 400PPI at such short viewing distance.
Viewfinders has optics to compensate for the close distance. So as long you have the diopter adjusted correctly, you should not have any problem to see a much higher resolution than 300PPI on a EVF.
01-13-2022, 08:04 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
sounds like someone wants to go mirrorless. one of the main features I value most in a dslr is the OVF. That's the whole reason the mirror's there, after all.
Even on mirrorless EVF is not necessarily a must have feature, but I want something like the Lumix LX-100 for better control and comfortable to use, so I feel sorry the MX-1 missed that and it is not a tiny camera, I can't recall Pentax produced any mirrorless except the bridge camera has EVF.
01-13-2022, 09:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

To make the lcd clear with your glasses being worn would require an optical device to enlarge and focus the screen to wear your eye is located, and that is the Hoodman type device that others have already indicated. To make one small area of the lcd to have high enough resolution to use as an EVF with a lens in front …you would need an extremely high resolution lcd, IMHO not practical. Here are a couple of practical choices that may help you. First, there are flip up (looks like the old flip up sunglasses that attach to the bridge if your glasses) reading lenses that can be ordered in various dioptre powers. Want to look at the lcd flip them down, finished flip them up, then remove them from the glasses when completely done. Second method…these are lenses for glasses that are not bifocal with a line, not progressive lenses with a small reading area, but the top half of the lens on your glasses is your distance Rx and the bottom half (no bifocal line in them) would be for the lcd at about 40cm. The beauty of the lens is that there is very little head movement up and down to go between the distance and near part of the lens. Lenses may go by the name of Access, office, computer lens, etc. Next on the list,….contact lenses for distance and over the counter reading glasses/1/2 eyes for the lcd. Last is surgery, if you have not yet had cataract surgery. The newest implant lenses are designed for clear distance and very clear vision at the distance you normally hold your phone. I know photographers that have each done one of the above. And…Allergan has received approval a few months ago for Vuity eyedrops to assist with close up vision by use of the pinhole effect. We do not yet have enough practical patient data to tell you anything in detail about the success rate and who is the ideal candidate.

https://news.abbvie.com/news/press-releases/vuity-pilocarpine-hci-ophthalmic-solution-125-first-and-only-fda-approved-eye-drop-to-treat-age-related-blurry-near-vision-presbyopia-is-now-available.htm

Hope one of these methods may prove useful for you.

01-13-2022, 09:39 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
To make the lcd clear with your glasses being worn would require an optical device to enlarge and focus the screen to wear your eye is located, and that is the Hoodman type device that others have already indicated. To make one small area of the lcd to have high enough resolution to use as an EVF with a lens in front …you would need an extremely high resolution lcd, IMHO not practical. Here are a couple of practical choices that may help you. First, there are flip up (looks like the old flip up sunglasses that attach to the bridge if your glasses) reading lenses that can be ordered in various dioptre powers. Want to look at the lcd flip them down, finished flip them up, then remove them from the glasses when completely done. Second method…these are lenses for glasses that are not bifocal with a line, not progressive lenses with a small reading area, but the top half of the lens on your glasses is your distance Rx and the bottom half (no bifocal line in them) would be for the lcd at about 40cm. The beauty of the lens is that there is very little head movement up and down to go between the distance and near part of the lens. Lenses may go by the name of Access, office, computer lens, etc. Next on the list,….contact lenses for distance and over the counter reading glasses/1/2 eyes for the lcd. Last is surgery, if you have not yet had cataract surgery. The newest implant lenses are designed for clear distance and very clear vision at the distance you normally hold your phone. I know photographers that have each done one of the above. And…Allergan has received approval a few months ago for Vuity eyedrops to assist with close up vision by use of the pinhole effect. We do not yet have enough practical patient data to tell you anything in detail about the success rate and who is the ideal candidate.

VUITY? (pilocarpine HCI ophthalmic solution) 1.25%, the First and Only FDA-Approved Eye Drop to Treat Age-Related Blurry Near Vision (Presbyopia), is Now Available | AbbVie News Center

Hope one of these methods may prove useful for you.
Thanks for the advice, the flip up reading lens is new to me and interesting, but focusing is only part of the reasons I want the EVF I mentioned earlier. The ultra hi res. LCD was just a random thought pops up on my mind and nobody will make that happen ha ! so the hoodman add-on is the best and only practical solution to me.

Another less crazy thought just pops up on my mind, what about a large Fresnel Lens over the LCD, so that the whole screen can be focused via relatively simple and low profile mechanism, but I don't know if that would work, and coarser image and moire are expected no doubt.

Just so happen I got a very fine flexible magnifier sheet plastic in my wallet, I tested and find it does do focus but need quite large working distance, or the 'power' of the sheet is too low, also must close one eye to use it, sort of 'success' to prove my theory ha !

Last edited by lotech; 01-13-2022 at 10:05 PM.
01-14-2022, 12:36 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Viewfinders has optics to compensate for the close distance. So as long you have the diopter adjusted correctly, you should not have any problem to see a much higher resolution than 300PPI on a EVF.
Ah, well said. Thanks.
01-14-2022, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
The reasons I need EVF are.

1. Can be adjusted for my eyesight
2. Prevent stray light from the sides
3. Concentrate to the subject

I don't need super hi res. as long as I can tell the focus
I am sometimes using outdoors LCD liveview & focuspeaking on my k3II with an lcd viewer like this MEIKE MK-VF2 LCD viewfinder reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database ,
It is a box with lens ( and correction for requirement 1. ) and an rubber eyepiece (for 2) that fits on the lcd panel. You need to find one that fits your lcd ( typically indicated as 2 inch or 3 inch size depending on your camera) , Google lcd viewfinder x inch

The disadvantage: size. It won’t fit in your pocket...but it works (for 3).

01-14-2022, 10:14 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
I am sometimes using outdoors LCD liveview & focuspeaking on my k3II with an lcd viewer like this MEIKE MK-VF2 LCD viewfinder reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database ,
It is a box with lens ( and correction for requirement 1. ) and an rubber eyepiece (for 2) that fits on the lcd panel. You need to find one that fits your lcd ( typically indicated as 2 inch or 3 inch size depending on your camera) , Google lcd viewfinder x inch

The disadvantage: size. It won’t fit in your pocket...but it works (for 3).
Not bad especially for shooting video
01-15-2022, 04:08 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Fresnel type flat lens…you have to hold it a certain distance and the clarity of the screen would be reduced significantly. You are basically making a hand device similar to the hoodman.
01-15-2022, 06:42 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
Fresnel type flat lens…you have to hold it a certain distance and the clarity of the screen would be reduced significantly. You are basically making a hand device similar to the hoodman.
If I have a 3D printer I can make some prototypes, but need a high refractive index lens to reduce the overall length of the adapter make it more portable.
01-15-2022, 08:54 PM   #26
Veteran Member

or for $5