Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2022, 08:20 PM   #1
Pentaxian

EVF for all digital cameras

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have a crazy silly thought but quite do-able.

Due to my farsighted vision I need OVF/EVF to focus, I can't read the LCD clearly at close distance, and stray light will ruin the display, but there are highend digital cameras without EVF built in, I wanted but did not get the MX-1 simply for this reason. I believe if we have a LCD with high enough resolution and a fast enough CPU, we could partition a small section to mimic the EVF at the top left or any place we want, then put a diopter over it that's all ! I know we can put a loupe over the LCD but that would be too large and cumsbersome inconvenient to use. The diopter can simply clip onto the camera as an accessory and the rest will be done by software. In the same sense all DC can have electronics shutter done by s/w although not as good as the real one will work, how that sounds ?

01-12-2022, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
I have a crazy silly thought but quite do-able.

Due to my farsighted vision I need OVF/EVF to focus, I can't read the LCD clearly at close distance, and stray light will ruin the display, but there are highend digital cameras without EVF built in, I wanted but did not get the MX-1 simply for this reason. I believe if we have a LCD with high enough resolution and a fast enough CPU, we could partition a small section to mimic the EVF at the top left or any place we want, then put a diopter over it that's all ! I know we can put a loupe over the LCD but that would be too large and cumsbersome inconvenient to use. The diopter can simply clip onto the camera as an accessory and the rest will be done by software. In the same sense all DC can have electronics shutter done by s/w although not as good as the real one will work, how that sounds ?
Today most EVF's are higher resolution (By a large amount) than the back panel LCD's. The LCD's are very poor EVF's even when used with a hoodman or other LCD lupe. I don't think this is practical but it is very creative. The rest of the LCD would need to turn off or at least mask to black when used. I'm not sure what extra value this adds over the rangefinder style bodies like a GX8 Panasonic where the EVF doesn't take up a lot of height and is not located on the center of the camera.

Kudos to creative thinking however.
01-12-2022, 09:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Today most EVF's are higher resolution (By a large amount) than the back panel LCD's. The LCD's are very poor EVF's even when used with a hoodman or other LCD lupe. I don't think this is practical but it is very creative. The rest of the LCD would need to turn off or at least mask to black when used. I'm not sure what extra value this adds over the rangefinder style bodies like a GX8 Panasonic where the EVF doesn't take up a lot of height and is not located on the center of the camera.

Kudos to creative thinking however.
Thanks for the comment !

Yes the first problem will be how much resolution we need to make this EVF, afaik average good EVF need 2meg or more pixel, so that the whole LCD would need over 10meg pixel that's complete mad ha ! and power consumption would be the next problem. Is it possible to do that with some optical tricks ? we could use a LCD just enough for the back panel display say 2mpix, via optical fiber project onto the EVF, the EVF will be dim but we don't need it very bright. But even that is possible the camera would be thick like a brick, hardly anyone would want to develop such system, and the complexity of such system would offset the advantages may have over an add on EVF, but if all problem checked out the masking of LCD can easily be done via s/w.
01-12-2022, 09:54 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As noted above, a Hoodman or similar is one option.

Another might be a + diopter SMC Correction Lens Adapter M similar to the eBay listing linked below:

PENTAX diopter correction lens adapter M +3 30738 4961333005451 | eBay

Steve

01-12-2022, 10:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As noted above, a Hoodman or similar is one option.

Another might be a + diopter SMC Correction Lens Adapter M similar to the eBay listing linked below:

PENTAX diopter correction lens adapter M +3 30738 4961333005451 | eBay

Steve
A full screen diopter ? the Hoodman option is the easiest and most practical, but need to be made very thin with super refractive glasses put very close to the screen.
01-12-2022, 10:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
P&S cameras with EVF usually have a 0.5" or smaller EVF of 2MP resolution. Scaling that up to a 3" screen would mean a resolution higher than on most camera sensors. (6 x 6 x 2 = 72 MP)

But there are other solutions for adding EVF to a camera without increasing size of the camera. FI a pop-up EVF that sits behind the rear screen when not in use.

Last edited by Fogel70; 01-12-2022 at 10:49 PM.
01-13-2022, 02:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
But there are other solutions for adding EVF to a camera without increasing size of the camera. FI a pop-up EVF that sits behind the rear screen when not in use.
There are standalone EVFs that plug in the HDMI port, but they aren't cheap.

---------- Post added 13-01-22 at 10:29 ----------

Resolution in EVF is really a marketing thing. For instance, people complain about Pentax HDMI not being 4K , but a 7" HD field monitor is already about 300PPI, higher than HD resolution at 7" makes no difference.

01-13-2022, 03:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
There are standalone EVFs that plug in the HDMI port, but they aren't cheap.

---------- Post added 13-01-22 at 10:29 ----------

Resolution in EVF is really a marketing thing. For instance, people complain about Pentax HDMI not being 4K , but a 7" HD field monitor is already about 300PPI, higher than HD resolution at 7" makes no difference.
It not only the size that matter, but also how close you look at it. With you eye a 1 cm from the EVF it is definitely easier to notice difference in resolution than if you are 1 meter from 7" screen.
01-13-2022, 03:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The reasons I need EVF are.

1. Can be adjusted for my eyesight
2. Prevent stray light from the sides
3. Concentrate to the subject

I don't need super hi res. as long as I can tell the focus
01-13-2022, 05:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

1. Can be adjusted for my eyesight
OVF can do that

2. Prevent stray light from the sides
Same with OVF, stray like is more related to how well the eye pieces rubber fit user's eye physiology

3. Concentrate to the subject
Up to user to stay focused.
01-13-2022, 06:05 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OVF can do that

Same with OVF, stray like is more related to how well the eye pieces rubber fit user's eye physiology

The original post mentioned this in the context of cameras that lack an ovf/EVF but have an lcd.
01-13-2022, 06:06 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OVF can do that

#3 EVF block side views forcing me to stay focused only to where the lens is pointing to.
01-13-2022, 06:10 AM   #13
dlhawes

sounds like someone wants to go mirrorless. one of the main features I value most in a dslr is the OVF. That's the whole reason the mirror's there, after all.
01-13-2022, 06:36 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I think this is about small sized P&S cameras, where there are no room for a mirror.
01-13-2022, 09:48 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
With you eye a 1 cm from the EVF it is definitely easier to notice difference in resolution than if you are 1 meter from 7" screen.
My visual acuity drops as I look closer to about 25cm, eye resolving power isn't constant with viewing distance, there's a range of distances where the eye resolves the best, that's why 300PPI is often said to be the upper useful resolution limits as most people can't see more detail even looking as close as they can. To give the same impression of details of a 300PPI print at 30cm viewing distance, still requires at least 200PPI printed at 90cm instead of just 300PPI / (90/30) = 100PPI. I've done test prints, at 2 meters viewing distance I still need 120PPI to give the impression of details like 300PPI at 30cm, whereas the theoretical viewing distance proportional resolution should be about 45PPI at 200 cm. 720PPI even viewing at 12cm is completely useless, nobody can tell the difference between 720PPI and 400PPI at such short viewing distance.