Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-14-2022, 06:22 PM   #1

Looking for Website Software Recommendations

Hello,
I need to re-develop my website. I've used html to date to create my own site. I would like to create something more professional. I would appreciate any recommendations as to some good software specifically for managing photo websites. I have pretty good technical skills but I don't want to do too much coding. (working in the IT field for about 100 years...).

Apologies if I've posted this on the wrong forum.

Thanks, Susan

01-14-2022, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I've used Drupal in the past.

Drupal - Open Source CMS | Drupal.org

Joomla too.

https://www.joomla.org/

They're open source & free.
01-14-2022, 09:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wordpress (purported to be the most popular website software) comes in free (Wordpress.org) version and a hosted version (Wordpress.com). Plenty of themes and support.

Hosted sites include include Wix, Weebly, SquareSpace, and Pixpa (my site – see sig).

Hope this helps.
01-14-2022, 09:19 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wordpress, joomla, and drupal all make sense. The hosted options above also work. My wife uses Wordpress and she’s far from technical.

01-14-2022, 10:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you have an Adobe Photography subscription for Photoshop and Lightroom, they toss in Adobe Portfolio that you can use to create your own portfolio sites as part of the plan. I think you can have up to 6 sites.
It doesn't give you as much control as writing your own code, but you don't need to worry about additional hosting costs, as the Adobe subscription covers it.
Wordpress is good if you want pre-packaged themes, and want to get up and going quickly, but if you want to get your hands dirty with some code, and build your own theme, there are alternatives that are easier to work with from a coding perspective.
I personally use a system called ProcessWire that I love for it's flexibility, but then I write code. My experience is that people who don't have much coding experience prefer Wordpress as it's really easy to get up and going, but those who want full control, and the ability to build their own site layout prefer ProcessWire, as it's less opinionated than Wordpress, and coding your own templates is pretty simple, but if you don't want to write any code at all to get a website up and running, then Wordpress is far easier to use.
I built a whole competition management and membership system for my camera club in ProcessWire, so I guess I'm biased. It's really good for data management, which is what I needed more than a blog.
Of course if you want to customise things, you'll need to pay for hosting, even if the platform is free.
01-15-2022, 04:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I recommend looking at static site generators unless you want a lot of interaction for the users. Static means a lot faster and the HTML is usually a lot cleaner that WordPress /drupal mess.

Its hard to know which would be most suitable.
01-15-2022, 04:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Content management systems like Drupal, Joomla and Wordpress make a lot of sense. After initially building the site you can concentrate on content rather than code. They all offer easy additional functionality through the use of plugins. Personally I found Joomla difficult to use, I built a couple of sites with Drupal but it's very hands on. My preference in later years has been for wordpress.

01-15-2022, 06:06 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by damianc Quote
Content management systems like Drupal, Joomla and Wordpress make a lot of sense. After initially building the site you can concentrate on content rather than code. They all offer easy additional functionality through the use of plugins. Personally I found Joomla difficult to use, I built a couple of sites with Drupal but it's very hands on. My preference in later years has been for wordpress.
I will actually agree with that assessment but my experience with them is a several years old.
01-15-2022, 06:32 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Static Site CMS with GUI to generate a fast SEO-friendly website
Is static, contemporary and comes with a local GUI. I've only tested briefly but it seems to work well.

https://gohugo.io
Is another one but that requires a bit more hands on approach.
01-15-2022, 06:52 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any particular wordpress themes you'd recommend for a photographer? TIme for me to redo my stuff.
01-15-2022, 08:09 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I've used Drupal in the past.

Drupal - Open Source CMS | Drupal.org

Joomla too.

Joomla Content Management System (CMS) - try it! It's free!

They're open source & free.
I use Contao. Also a CMS and Open Source.

The problem is that you have to build up substantial know how about a CMS like drupal, contao etc. to build a good site. IMO nothing for people who never developed / programmed software or that have no sustantial idea how such systems work.

If you like to go that way I‘d recommend having a closer look at Contao. IMO it‘s very well structured, supports plugins - all you need.

Last edited by acoufap; 01-15-2022 at 08:16 AM.
01-15-2022, 08:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Susanmcg Quote
Hello,
I need to re-develop my website. I've used html to date to create my own site. I would like to create something more professional. I would appreciate any recommendations as to some good software specifically for managing photo websites. I have pretty good technical skills but I don't want to do too much coding. (working in the IT field for about 100 years...).

Apologies if I've posted this on the wrong forum.

Thanks, Susan
BS RetroCSS v5.0
01-15-2022, 09:14 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks for the recommendations

Thanks to everyone for your great feedback on website recommendations. I wish that my co-workers would respond like that to my emails..