Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2022, 10:31 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd like to have that one back!

Did you ever catch a scene just right? The perfect shot falls in your lap, you shoot and it looks great on your preview. But then you get home and realize it's not the great shot you thought in the moment?

This is a pic I took of my daughter standing at a window in the basement of the Biltmore House in Ashville, NC. We were waiting around for some others in our party, when I looked at her in this wonderful light and said "Don't move". I was so excited! But then I got it in Lightroom and realized I should have dialed the shutter speed up to avoid my shaky camera holding. And if I'd told her to turn ever so slightly toward the window, her pose would have looked a little less awkward. What do you think?

Do you have "I'd like to have that one back story?"

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-18-2022, 10:42 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Crop it into a portrait orientation - see how you like that.
Then play with decreasing the background detail - specifically the corner of the wall.

And to answer your question - yes - I thought I nailed it with a photo of someone in a beautiful garden, and then when looking at the images on the PC, discovered a shadow under their chin that a simple reflector would have cured. ARGH.
01-18-2022, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

When in doubt, I always tell myself: "what I see is not what the camera sees", and always take a wider shot(when possible), for cropping and recomposing in post. there are certain shots that have a good feeling but that doesn't mean they will end up being a good picture, therefore you have to work with it to give it the sensation you felt when you saw it live.
PS: I hope I am making any sense lol.
01-18-2022, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes! I’m laughing thinking how many times I thought I got something glorious… but it wasn’t. I’ll try to fish out examples.

01-18-2022, 12:03 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But then there are also those times you take a shot and think "oh, that's just a tosser", and when you get back you find a gem when you look at it right. I think those just about even out the score

Take another look at that shot you have - it isn't that un-great.
01-18-2022, 12:30 PM - 4 Likes   #6

Quick pass through Snapseed....Id consider it a keeper. I can see how you'd like to have it to do over but I like it.
Attached Images

01-18-2022, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

No, I always think I made a stupid mistake because I forgot ........ (fill in any reason). But to be honest the B/W version by Bubblepop shows you that you do not need to get that one back, but the harsh colour disappeared that made your daughter in the picture not stand out. So sometimes you have to think colour or B/W? With a digital camera that is easy to do. The Bubblepop version is much more subtle than your coloured edition. I think it is a good picture, but spoiled by the colour. The B/W version gives your daughter's face a soft touch and shows more of her facial expression. And I think that is what you actually saw and which distracted you from what was around it.

01-18-2022, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Film. Sunset photo at lake Erie. It was at a resort that taught sailing lessons. I ended up getting a nice photo of the sunset. But when I got the picture back I could see the tip of the one one the sailing dinghies that they used lined up on the beach.

There was a whole row of dinghies of various colors. It would have been a much better photo if I got more of them in the foreground.

I need to look to see if I have the photo in an album
01-18-2022, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #9

The main problem here may be the reflections in her glasses. We don't see her right eye. Darkening it helps a bit, but still does not solve it completely, colour or black&white. Cropping and straightening helps too. Otherwise a beautiful portrait! And I do like the coulour rendering. It couldn't be a Pentax lens, could it?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Bosse; 01-18-2022 at 03:52 PM.
01-18-2022, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh brother, I've wished I could have another crack at so many shots. Instead of regretting what it might have been, appreciate it for what it actually is. Live in the moment.
01-18-2022, 08:09 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And then there's those shots you looked at and didn't take!

Late seventies, Pentax K2, early morning shafts of light coming through a stand of trees, and my dog (just over knee high) and the next door neighbours 7" high dachsund, walking side by side away from me. And all I did was look and think "That looks cute".

The memory of that missed shot haunts me still!

The black and white version works well!
01-18-2022, 08:13 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Luckily digital film isn't too expensive, and you can take a few extra shots to experiment with.
01-19-2022, 01:52 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow you all have given me lots to think about and some great feedback! I'm usually reluctant to share photos for the purpose of feedback, but you have really helped. This picture's from a couple years back, I should have shared sooner.

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Crop it into a portrait orientation - see how you like that.
I tried a portrait crop and can't get the composition right. I feel it needs a part of the window to give the picture context. Shooting a wider view would have helped (another lesson learned).

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Take another look at that shot you have - it isn't that un-great.
Thanks, Bob. Honestly it looks better on here than in Lightroom on my PC. My wife often reminds me that not everyone is going to overly scrutinize every pic I put out there. Most will give it a glance, say "Ooo nice shot" and move on.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bubblepop Quote
Quick pass through Snapseed....Id consider it a keeper.
Wow this really does make a difference! I've heard before that if you don't like a shot, you should try 2 things, crop it or try B&W. Seeing both approaches applied here really improves the image. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I think it is a good picture, but spoiled by the colour. The B/W version gives your daughter's face a soft touch and shows more of her facial expression.
I agree! Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I’ll try to fish out examples.
I'd like to see them and hear about them if you can.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
I need to look to see if I have the photo in an album
I'd like to see it. BTW, "row of dinghies" would make a great rock band album name.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bosse Quote
And I do like the coulour rendering. It couldn't be a Pentax lens, could it?
Of course! My trusty DA* 16-50mm F2.8. I actually sold it last year because I got a Sony A7III that I'm using primarily. But I had withdrawal, so I bought another copy.

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Instead of regretting what it might have been, appreciate it for what it actually is. Live in the moment.
Great advice. Thanks, Matt!

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
The memory of that missed shot haunts me still!
I've done that so many times myself. That's one reason I was so happy about this one, cause I was there and took the shot!

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Luckily digital film isn't too expensive, and you can take a few extra shots to experiment with.
Another lesson learned. Looking back at my pictures from that very day I have like 20 shots of the same couch that I'll never look at again. But for whatever reason, I only took the one shot here.
01-19-2022, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the light in your shot is very nice and I wouldn’t mind the look of the person. We always expect more from ourselves. That’s a healthy sign of progress. Either way, you can always ask the model for a second shot!