Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2022, 01:45 PM - 3 Likes   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I only have "old" Pentax cameras (over 30), my newest camera is my *ist (film) from 2003.

My original SLR was a Pentax KX purchased in late 1975.

So to answer the OP's question, yes I prefer the older KX, even though the *ist is way more advanced. The *ist is a little piece of plastic junk compared to the KX and the handling is awful as well. I do however appreciate the *ist's advanced functions occasionally and treat it as a specialty camera for specific shooting.

Phil.

01-29-2022, 09:31 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing I've liked better about my older camera(s) each time I've bought a newer model is that it was easier to learn how to operate the more "primitive" box. The learning curve with every new one grows steeper.
01-30-2022, 02:24 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When digital cameras were becoming mainstream, all I really wanted some sort of digital back for my Spotmatic. I almost think I'd still be happy with that, but to be used with my LX instead. I don't know that I'd want it as my only camera, but I would really like to use it more, without the expense of film. The last few rolls I've shot worked out to close to $50 per roll of 35mm, between buying the film, mailing the exposed rolls and paying for processing and high quality scans. Maybe I should get a developing tank and some chemicals to try it on my own, then use a macro lens to digitize the negatives.
Kristian
02-01-2022, 08:37 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really miss shooting with my LX, but I don’t miss messing around with film. If I could put a split prism focus screen in my KP without messing up the light metering that’d fix everything!

02-01-2022, 08:56 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Upgrading is sometimes and issue, especially until I get the control layout
BUT the same applies when I try to go back and use the old camera
02-01-2022, 08:56 AM   #36

Heh. I thought it was just me with the K-5iis. My "new" camera is the one I prefer, but that's the 5. Just a joy in the hands. I also have a K-7 that talks to my hands just as nicely, but there is no comparison between them for capabilities and image quality.

I am primarily an astrophotographer these days, so film isn't even remotely a consideration. The K-5iis still holds up very nicely for that, thank you.
02-01-2022, 09:01 AM   #37
Forum Member

I traded my K5 for a K3ii because the K5 couldn't use the 55-300 aperture controls.

The K3ii has been a fine upgrade. And I've been using my M42 lenses on it. Fun stuff.

02-01-2022, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I only have "old" Pentax cameras (over 30), my newest camera is my *ist (film) from 2003.

My original SLR was a Pentax KX purchased in late 1975.

So to answer the OP's question, yes I prefer the older KX, even though the *ist is way more advanced. The *ist is a little piece of plastic junk compared to the KX and the handling is awful as well. I do however appreciate the *ist's advanced functions occasionally and treat it as a specialty camera for specific shooting.

Phil.
Surprised you think the *ist DL ( or DL2) is a piece of plastic junk! I have used Pentax cameras for photography back to the Spotmatic ( the KX is very like a Spotmatic with a K-Mount), and collected almost every Pentax back to the days of the Asahiflex. Beautiful cameras up to the LX, and then downhill through the plastic era of the 1980's, with a couple of exceptions. However I was pleasantly surprised when I picked up an *is DL2 in Jessops shop when they first came out, and bought it on the spot! It felt again like a 'real' Pentax again, and under the plastic skin is a lot of metal, so hardly plastic junk. Images were, and are,very acceptable for the modest sensor megapixels available, 6.5 if I recall correctly. I've still got mine, but it was relegated by first a K-7 ( good camera, but bettered by the K-5), then a K-S1 ( a bit plasticky outslde, but underneath......metal!), and because that was hit by the dreaded aperture solenoid syndrome, I now use a KP, hewn out of solid rock, by the feel of it! If it hadn't been for that *ist I wonder if I would still be using film....

Yes, I would have loved a Spotmatic with a digital back, but sadly it never happened, and the start-ups that have come and gone , most have looked ungainly and felt very impractical. So i'll stick with my KP, probably as close as you'll get to a Spotmatic, or KX, as you will find for digital use. Loved using a darkroom with all the magic you could create, but digital is much more convenient in so many ways.....
02-01-2022, 09:08 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Time moves in one direction. Why would a person want to go back to an inferior product when they can use a better one?
Digital cameras aren't fine wine. They don't get better with age.
02-01-2022, 09:10 AM   #40

Honestly, it’s the reason I adopted Leica as my second system. As much as I love shooting Pentax, Leica forces me to slow down, compose my shots, and move on. Admittedly, I can do that on my K1, but there’s nothing forcing you to slow down.
02-01-2022, 09:11 AM   #41

Just different

Surely people have the camera they want, old and new aren’t better or worse; they are just different.
I bought a digital 15 years ago but after some initial enthusiasm I found I hardly ever used it, I didn’t make conscious decision I just did what I enjoy most. I bought an LX new in the early 80’s and two months ago it was serviced (Harrow Technical) for the second time in its life. It is still a great camera that does what I need. I don’t think of it as some kind of nostalgia trip, it is the photography I enjoy and now I have nearly retired I can do exactly what I want. Not everybody will enjoy crashing around in the dark but the darkrooms are still some of my favourite places.
02-01-2022, 10:06 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scissors Quote
Surely people have the camera they want, old and new aren’t better or worse; they are just different.
I bought a digital 15 years ago but after some initial enthusiasm I found I hardly ever used it, I didn’t make conscious decision I just did what I enjoy most. I bought an LX new in the early 80’s and two months ago it was serviced (Harrow Technical) for the second time in its life. It is still a great camera that does what I need. I don’t think of it as some kind of nostalgia trip, it is the photography I enjoy and now I have nearly retired I can do exactly what I want. Not everybody will enjoy crashing around in the dark but the darkrooms are still some of my favourite places.
Much as i enjoyed working in the darkroom( which back in the day was in our loft-freezing in winter and scorching in summer!) I'm not sure I would go back from digital with all its convenience. I still use my cameras as I did when they were 100% mechanical and with zero electronic aids, meters or automation. I use apertures, shutter speeds, and stick with a fixed ASA equivalent at 200-and absolutely NO autofocus! It makes me wonder if we would be still having these discussions in the very unlikely scenario that digital preceeded film technology.
02-01-2022, 10:10 AM   #43

This is why I bought a full slate of Pentax M42 equipment in addition to adding a Pentax 6x7 system. It is not just about any film nostalgia but about the feel of these mechanical pre autofocus systems. Holding them makes you want to take pictures. Logically the newest gear is the most efficient with the best optical and image quality. But it does not have that feel to use any more. I am amazed at the still silky smooth focus mounts of all the old lenses. As a side, I started photography in my teens with the M42 Pentax and always appreciated the quality.

My Sony and Olympus gear regains more of a solid feel to me than my previous Canon gear. I think Canon lead the race to plasticization over the last 3 decades, pulling every one else with them to the bottom.
02-01-2022, 10:30 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I recently learnt somthing about old cameras that has surprised me but makes alot of sense, bear with me for a minute in the old days with internet the slowest thing on our network regulated the speed usually those 56mbs modems - put that to cameras now its not the size of the sensor that makes a huge difference apparently the CF cards provide a better quality image than the SD cards as they are larger files are larger and the CF card was a fast reader this might be why we are having so many issues with image quality. For my Cameras with SD cards I have just upgraded my cards.
02-01-2022, 10:40 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
"Newer camera doesn't feel as good as old camera" is also a warning that says "I'm getting old and it becomes harder for me to adapt to change", something that can be trained by deliberately exposing ourselves to new things and put our brains to work (rarely happen, except when there is change) asking ourselves "how does this new thing works? What is it meant to do? ". But so far, all new Pentax flagship cameras have been improved either on imaging performance or build quality and ergonomics over the previous models.
I think when people talk about "feel" they mean things like how using a typical MF-era lens focusing ring feels vs. an AF-era focusing ring. They both operate in basically the same way so there's nothing new to learn, yet they feel different, usually have different ranges of rotation, etc.