Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2022, 11:19 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Star Filters

After working on this picture I decided to get some star filters for my new KP lenses

The I phones are handy but they do have lots of limitations. I really like to use the star filters on sunset, rise pictures and water and they are great on softening certain images even with models I discovered.

This picture was taken without any filters, the little stars were from the natural reflections in the water.

Last edited by mymaiseygirl; 12-04-2022 at 07:41 PM.
02-01-2022, 11:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I suggest the stars are actually produced by the aperture blades in your lens. Especially at f/14, most lenses will produce them, some more than others. The SMC DA 15mm Limited is famous for them. You didn't say which 50mm lens you were using, but if it's the FA f/1.7, that has 6 blades, hence your 6-pointed stars. The DA 18-55 also has six blades.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 02-01-2022 at 11:37 PM.
02-01-2022, 11:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for that - I wasnt aware that the blades can cause the stars. I stand corrected. Wow incredible
02-01-2022, 11:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I suggest the stars are actually produced by the aperture blades in your lens. Especially at f/14, most lenses will produce them, some more than others. The SMC DA 15mm Limited is famous for them. You didn't say which 50mm lens you were using, but if it's the FA f/1.7, that has 6 blades, hence your 6-pointed stars. The DA 18-55 also has six blades.
You can buy filters that can produce starbursts, the advantage is that you do not need to stop the lens down as much, can select the number of spikes you need and also rotate the direction of the stars

02-01-2022, 11:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Here's an example with the DA 15 Limited.

It has 7 blades. Each one produces a spike in two opposite directions, hence the 14-pointed stars. However, if the number of blades n is even, each spike doubles up, so you only get n spikes. This picture was shot at f/5.6, which is hardly "stopped down".
02-02-2022, 12:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Lizard Point, Cornwall - shot at f16 using Tamron 10-24mm zoom lens on K3-II. The Pentax 10-17mm fisheye zoom lens can also produce great "stars".

02-02-2022, 12:28 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nicolpa47 Quote
Lizard Point, Cornwall - shot at f16 using Tamron 10-24mm zoom lens on K3-II. The Pentax 10-17mm fisheye zoom lens can also produce great "stars".
I love ur picture and thanks for all that information!!

02-02-2022, 12:46 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Generally you get a starburst on bright points of light at anything smaller than f9. Smc 15mm & 21mm produce epic star bursts with long, sharp points but in many lenses the stars aren't defined. Star filters mean you can get that PING moment wide open or from lenses that don't star very well. Also, like Ian said, you can rotate the star so they are at a more pleasing angle. You can also choose how many points you want. There are loads on eBay but don't be tempted by a pulsator. That is one that refracts the light and turns every point into a little rainbow, which is very trippy indeed 😂😂😂
02-02-2022, 12:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
that don't star very well. Also, like Ian said, you can rotate the star so they are at a more pleasing angle.
I see they are talking about AP based star bursts, I was under the impression of analog filters attached to your lens as you and I are talking about
02-02-2022, 03:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mymaiseygirl Quote
I love ur picture and thanks for all that information!!
Thank you - as others have said, you can generate "stars" from many lenses by stopping them down. How far, and the precise effect will vary from lens to lens. I have used "starburst" lens filters in the past and they do work and give you control over positioning as you can rotate the filter. I have not used in app filters.
02-02-2022, 04:31 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens mounted Star filters are useful, without a doubt, but as other have said angle of view and other factors will affect the results.

The DA 21mm produces excellent starbursts.
02-02-2022, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

several threads on starbursts and which lenses produce the best ones over the years; here's one:

Best "Starburst" on lenses? - PentaxForums.com
02-02-2022, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mymaiseygirl Quote
Thanks for that - I wasnt aware that the blades can cause the stars. I stand corrected. Wow incredible
Straight aperture blades with a small aperture usually produce nice ones even when there are a fairly large odd number of blades. I get them in most of my astro shots like this one from where I used my Sigma 300mm f/4 APO Tele Macro and ran it at f/5.6 which has 9 straight blades giving 18 spikes:

The spikes are normally pretty dim but astro images are really pushed so they become very visible, even on some of the dimmer stars.