Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2022, 02:09 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Strap attachment recommendation?

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a quick disconnect sort of camera strap attachment? I have some on the camera now threaded through where the split ring attaches to the body, but I prefer to have nothing dangling from the camera. Ideally something that would simply clip to the eyelet things sticking out of the body.

Thanks.

02-02-2022, 02:51 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would recommend you take a look at this area of the forums

Camera Straps - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

I like the Optech USA system but others prefer the alternatives
02-02-2022, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I use Peak Designs Slide and Slide Lite on all my camera bodies...

https://www.peakdesign.com/
02-02-2022, 04:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I use Peak Designs Slide and Slide Lite on all my camera bodies...

https://www.peakdesign.com/

So you see the little cords that dangle from the camera that your strap attaches to? I have something similar already for my strap. What I want to do is remove these altogether (along with the triangular keyring thing) and just use a clasp or something I can leave on the strap and clip into the eyelets the split keyring things are hanging from.

Clear as mud?

02-02-2022, 04:04 PM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
So you see the little cords that dangle from the camera that your strap attaches to? I have something similar already for my strap. What I want to do is remove these altogether (along with the triangular keyring thing) and just use a clasp or something I can leave on the strap and clip into the eyelets the split keyring things are hanging from.

Clear as mud?

no - I entirely understand your request....
02-02-2022, 04:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
no - I entirely understand your request....
I missed an entire set of RAW files once because when I turned the camera sideways, the dangly strap attachment found itself between my finger and RAW button. It was a night shoot of a Christmas parade so the RAWs were really important
02-02-2022, 05:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I missed an entire set of RAW files once because when I turned the camera sideways, the dangly strap attachment found itself between my finger and RAW button. It was a night shoot of a Christmas parade so the RAWs were really important
But surely the neck strap will keep the attachments away from the camera body ? I find it does with mine, and my attachments are long enough to be joined together to provide a crude but effective hand strap when necessary.

02-02-2022, 05:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't doubt you, but I struggle to see how that's possible, the PD clips specifically are so small that wouldn't happen unless your finger would have pushed it anyways.

Besides if raw is important to you, why have the button set to that? I put it to something more useful as I shoot raw all the time anyways - if you don't, you can set up user modes too and have ones for different file types or shooting styles - the customized buttons apply to those.

As far as your initial question, I think the eyelets are too small to allow much to clip in - and I've never seen any straps that already do that directly. But you could use any old strap you like and buy some small clips - but I'd worry about the strength of them if they're small enough.
02-02-2022, 05:45 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I like having a pair of peak design links attached to my tripod quick release plate.
02-02-2022, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use 2mm cord to create small loops on the camera and attach the strap with small niteize carabiners. I didn’t care for the peak things hanging off the camera or split rings. Both made noise that picked up in video. I will post a picture later

https://niteize.com/s-biner-microlock-stainless-steel
02-02-2022, 05:50 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For a variety of reasons, been using the Tamrac strap; it detaches with two clips, the strap is a little wider, more cushioned than some others and, there are two little pouches on the strap ideal for spare SD cards. To your point, when the strap is detached, the short strap and buckle remain on the body...haven't had them interfere with me yet but can understand the potential. A friend, looking for a similar solution swears by the BlackRapid design, which attaches with a pivot screwed into the tripod mount and detaches with a clip arrangement. The strap itself is very wide over the shoulder and it un-nerves me a little to see the camera dangling upside down at the end of this tether, but to each their own.
02-02-2022, 06:58 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I really don't want to leave anything attached to the camera body, it's annoying as an itch I can't reach. I just want some sort of miniature carabiner or lobster clip I can leave on the strap and just clip to the camera.
02-02-2022, 07:33 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

See attached photos
Attached Images

02-02-2022, 08:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

You could try something like this quick link or maybe this one or even this one (I worry the opening may be too narrow with the last one).
I can't think of a way to test whether it will work other than just ordering one and seeing. I measured my K1, and I think it's possible those would work for you assuming your camera's eyelets are the same. Getting the eyelet 'around the bend' so to speak would be the part I would be worried about (the last one is thinner gauge, so may be better in that respect).
All those parts are also available in stainless with higher capacity ratings, but they're pretty spendy for something that may or may not work out.

If you find one that works, it would obviously be up to you to figure out how to connect a strap to the link, but that part shouldn't be too tough.

Edit: another possibility, although I worry about the pins backing themselves out with this one, and they may be too thick anyways.

Last edited by wadge22; 02-02-2022 at 08:48 PM.
02-02-2022, 09:18 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ebahle Quote
I use 2mm cord to create small loops on the camera and attach the strap with small niteize carabiners. I didn’t care for the peak things hanging off the camera or split rings. Both made noise that picked up in video. I will post a picture later

https://niteize.com/s-biner-microlock-stainless-steel
That is clean! Could you detail what kind of knot you are using for the 2mm cord? I can't really tell from the images you posted.