Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2022, 12:53 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
That is clean! Could you detail what kind of knot you are using for the 2mm cord? I can't really tell from the images you posted.
The s-biners are rated 3 lbs. I wouldn‘t use them for my K1 with a heavy lens.

Last edited by Hmuehl; 02-03-2022 at 01:01 AM.
02-03-2022, 02:22 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Must admit that if I were to entertain this method of attachment, I would not trust any kind of knot - I would overlap the sealed ends, then secure them by stitching them over each other with button thread. And at that. the heaviest lens / body combination with which I would trust them is K3 & 55-300. Like the idea of the karabiner klips, though - may look into a UK supplier of similar items.
02-03-2022, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
I missed an entire set of RAW files once because when I turned the camera sideways, the dangly strap attachment found itself between my finger and RAW button. It was a night shoot of a Christmas parade so the RAWs were really important
Hope you don't mind me saying so, but this seems to me more like a lack of skill or attention to detail being blamed on the equipment in use. Surely you could feel that there was an obstruction underneath your finger ? If this is indeed a problem, I feel that further evidence from others who have experienced it would assist in forming a definite conclusion as to whether it is a possible design fault, or just an unfortunate one-off occurrence.
02-03-2022, 05:28 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That is clean! Could you detail what kind of knot you are using for the 2mm cord? I can't really tell from the images you posted.
More or less a square knot. Then I burn ends and mash while still melted to lock it in place. A dot of super clue on the knot also locks things in place. I will add some better photos later today. I like that I can use whatever strap I choose

02-03-2022, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ebahle Quote
More or less a square knot. Then I burn ends and mash while still melted to lock it in place. A dot of super clue on the knot also locks things in place. I will add some better photos later today. I like that I can use whatever strap I choose
What’s the weight rating of the cord? Knots tend to reduce this to 1/2 or less.
02-03-2022, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what kind of knot
Fishermans knot is standard, single or double. However with little pieces of cord like this you want to be sure it doesn't come undone. Using some glue when you form the knot is quite good, but my own preference in these situations is actually to use a soft cord or narrow webbing that I can overlap the ends and stitch with some button thread or whipping twine. Or, if the cord can be threaded twice through the eyelet and is a tight fit, then a few secs with a lighter melting the ends into a wee blob too fat to pull back through also works reliably.
02-03-2022, 08:08 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The OP works in very cold environments, glue fails, cords wear and break.

FWIW, I kept the small original D-rings on the camera, and attached a small but sturdy carabiner with a wrist strap to the D-ring. I removed this carabiner once the camera is on a tripod, so it
could not possibly obscure the lens.

Last edited by robgski; 02-03-2022 at 08:20 AM.
02-03-2022, 06:49 PM   #23

You might look into "lobster claw clasps" (look it up). The trick would be finding on with a diameter to fit the camera lugs and strong enough for peace of mind.
02-03-2022, 09:48 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ebahle Quote
Thanks!
02-04-2022, 02:18 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My concern would be that anything small enough to fit through the eyelet holes while being easy to removed might not be able to support the weight of the camera with medium to heavy lenses.

A split ring left attached would be strong enough. A small carabiner with a decent weight rating could be attached to the split ring. The other thing that pops to the top of my mind is that a lot of metal pieces strong enough to hold the camera may bungle up the finish of the camera. If that doesn't matter, then let the experimentation begin!
02-04-2022, 03:10 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

2mm climbing cord is rated 70kg breaking strain. 3mm braided general purpose cord is rated 190kg. The more significant risk is wearing through.
02-04-2022, 08:22 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve been running this setup for a number of years on k5, k3’s and now k1. Cold climates, wet climates, climbing, hiking, water sports, snow sports and most always being very active. The heavier of the two lenses I use is a DFA* 50mm and I’ve never worried about the knots, cord or clips being a weak point.

I tend to be pretty adventurous with my stuff compared to most. If your camera isn’t with you it won’t get used…

The cord I use has a bright red center that’s visible when wear through occurs. When trying the knots I leave line ends that I yank tight with pliers before trimming, melting the ends and gluing the knot. Sorry for the poor pics
02-04-2022, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

images attached
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 12 mini  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 12 mini  Photo 
02-07-2022, 08:10 PM   #29

Came across this new strap on kickstarter the other day. Perhaps it suits the OP's need.
02-08-2022, 06:26 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Can anyone recommend a quick disconnect sort of camera strap attachment?
Peak Design pretty much dominates that market, and for good reason. Their attachment system is small, sturdy, quick, and has many options. Here's a review of an earlier version (newer ones are mostly details and cosmetic changes)

Peak Design Slide Strap and Capture Clip System Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

You'll also learn about their wonderful Capture Clip.

Here's a shorter article (on another web site) about the newer version, including a presentation of their wrist strap, showing how the system is versatile and modular.

https://www.lightandmatter.org/2021/equipment-reviews/peak-design-cuff-slide...d-field-pouch/