Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2022, 10:37 AM   #31
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Sony and Ricoh started into the digital camera era with digital compacts and had no footprint in digital SLRs. That's right.

My guess is that Ricoh still has some employees that were part of their camera division history and culture. Culture is about people not technique. Ricoh had to reduce their camera appearance to digital compacts and had some success with the GRX. Now there was the chance to continue their SLR history successfully through a acquisition contract with Hoya/Pentax. They agreed and carried and developed the Pentax DNA further - also on a cultural level. A great step IMO.

So I'm still not convinced that it's the same story as that of Sony and Minolta, where the latter already had a merger with Konica - if I remember right.
Yes, Minolta had already merged with Konica before Sony's acquisition... just as Pentax had already been acquired and pretty much torn-apart by Hoya. What Ricoh ended up acquiring was very little like the Asahi Pentax business of old.

My point is, folks get dewey-eyed at the heritage of Pentax gear, but the reality is the (admittedly excellent) current products are mostly designed and built by a tiny division of a huge business electronics and services corporation, while a small few are (equally excellent) tweaked third-party re-brands. At the same time, some of those folks look down at Sony as a giant consumer electronics / TV & Hi Fi company and opportunistic "Johnny-come-lately" to photography, yet the heritage of its cameras and lenses goes way back through Konica and Minolta - and by now it has vast experience in designing and building mirrorless ILCs.

Though it doesn't particularly bother me, I sometimes wonder what else Sony has to do for universal acceptance as a legitimate player

[My apologies to the OP for going off-topic. I'll desist now ]

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-12-2022 at 11:44 AM.
02-12-2022, 01:42 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I sometimes wonder what else Sony has to do for universal acceptance as a legitimate player
Out sell Canon,the leading camera brand!

OH, they are doing that in FF mirrorless.Have a long way to go in Dslr(as do RicoTax).
02-12-2022, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #33
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Out sell Canon,the leading camera brand!

OH, they are doing that in FF mirrorless.Have a long way to go in Dslr(as do RicoTax).
<Sigh> ... So until Sony outsells Canon, it's not a real photography brand? Nice to have you back in the forums, Peter... I've missed your constructive insight...
02-12-2022, 01:55 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Maybe a Canon EOS RP Mark II, but they haven't released that one yet.
The rumours are strong that its this year, but, not necessarily a version 2.An entry level FF without an EVF for 799ish is a strong tip.When you take into account that the EF mount is being down graded, its obvious that Canon want every body using their gear to be buying the R mount glass.They have the cheap line and the Co$tly lines. The market of budget to highRoller is covered.The third party makers will service the EF market for new buyers.

---------- Post added 02-13-22 at 08:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Fuji XH-1 is possible, but not sure how "cheap" it can get if available in used market
Well,in May there is a FujiFilm Summit that launches the Xtrans 5 generation sensors.The X-H2(rumoured 2 variants) is the camera body/s that it will be housed in.Many H1 owners have indicated their intention to upgrade so, plenty of H1s will probably come onto the used market.The H1 was firesaled a couple of years ago for around 999 U$ with included battery grip.Thats the price to work down from.

Its a great camera, the best WR sealing of the Fujis.IBIS,sweetest shutter.Focus peaking is good enough for the old cheap glass you talk of.

02-12-2022, 06:03 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here in the UK, I see them for around GBP £550 - £600. Lot of camera for the money. I'm not sure how different or simple it can be compared to your previous FujiFilm experience, but as I said, it's that or Sony...
It's either cheap or too expensive but out of my budget as a 2nd camera ! I played with the X-Pro2 while in the shop, it is supposed to be top of the line in the rangefinder series but still give me the plasticky feels, made me wonder why should I spend so much on it !? I see that Fuji is slowly transforming the bodies into more ergonomic look, smoothing corners and adding grip to it. My overall impression Fuji is for studio work should stay indoor, the reason I picked the XE-2 was the same crop factor as the Pentax, and the X-Trans sensor that I found has better low light quality.

---------- Post added 02-13-22 at 09:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
....I played with the Fujis and Sonys and found the ergonomics weird, and the user interface clunky. The Canon M5 was more natural. It seems like Pentax, Canon and Nikon design for photographers; the Sony not so much....
Exactly ! and thanks for remind me of the Canon M I completely forgot about it, it handled quite nicely as far as I remember I played with it in the shop long time ago, wondering how easy or hard to get the adapter for it for say, m42 ? I saw people adapting enlarger and projector lens to the Sony via the heli-coil adapter, will it fit to the Canon M ? and what about focal reducer ?
02-12-2022, 06:25 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
<Sigh> ... So until Sony outsells Canon, it's not a real photography brand? Nice to have you back in the forums, Peter... I've missed your constructive insight...
Sony Corp. is huge, they have a long history of anti-consumer practices, and Sony camera fantrolls are the worst.

Hence, for many folks...

02-12-2022, 06:33 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
...Well,in May there is a FujiFilm Summit that launches the Xtrans 5 generation sensors.The X-H2(rumoured 2 variants) is the camera body/s that it will be housed in.Many H1 owners have indicated their intention to upgrade so, plenty of H1s will probably come onto the used market.The H1 was firesaled a couple of years ago for around 999 U$ with included battery grip.Thats the price to work down from.

Its a great camera, the best WR sealing of the Fujis.IBIS,sweetest shutter.Focus peaking is good enough for the old cheap glass you talk of.
Thanks for the tip, will see then.

02-12-2022, 08:30 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While Pentax may never produce a current mirrorless camera and as they have stated SLR is their way forward: there is NOTHING preventing Ricoh from releasing a mirrorless camera based upon the K mount.
02-12-2022, 09:06 PM   #39
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
While Pentax may never produce a current mirrorless camera and as they have stated SLR is their way forward: there is NOTHING preventing Ricoh from releasing a mirrorless camera based upon the K mount.
I've been waiting for this to surface....

make an adapter available that makes all k-mount lenses fit at a reasonable price....
02-12-2022, 09:36 PM   #40
Pentaxian

and what about focal reducer ?
Visit Viltrox,they produce one for just about every camera make.

---------- Post added 02-13-22 at 03:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote

make an adapter available that makes all k-mount lenses fit at a reasonable price....
Dont hold your breath waiting,The likelihood is probably near Zero.

RI have their plates full with GR/Pentax/360 projects and after saying the direction is SLR,I cant see them putting the resources into another project.

Better to develop another Qish body, imo.There is a user base(full of Japanese schoolgirls apparently) that would be interested.
02-12-2022, 09:54 PM   #41
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a user base(full of Japanese schoolgirls apparently) that would be interested.
really?
02-12-2022, 10:05 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote

The reason for the K01 to exist was a mistery then if Pentax has no plan for mirrorless, although it is not the kind of mirrorless we expected. I suppose it can be done by removing the mirror box part and modify the prism, but must be made with a different mount, and sold with an adapter for use with standard K mount lenses, also need to at least produce couple kit lenses for the body with new mount, would that be too much of trouble for Pentax ?
02-12-2022, 10:46 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RI have their plates full with GR/Pentax/360 projects and after saying the direction is SLR,I cant see them putting the resources into another project.
It wouldn't kill them to try it, and see if the idea catches on: Ricoh doesn't have any particular need to stick with K mount when L mount exists, jumping on that bandwagon would be massively beneficial as there is a plethora of third party lenses that already exist and there would be an audience for the FA limited lenses. Some of which I have seen modified (destructively, unfortunately) for RED Cinema cameras.
02-13-2022, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
=Digitalis;
there would be an audience for the FA limited lenses. Some of which I have seen modified (destructively, unfortunately) for RED Cinema cameras.
I suppose that we can't bring back public floggings to dissuade this barbaric practice.😁
02-13-2022, 01:45 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am a stubborn die-hard Pentaxian....
....Pentax already got everything I need
I see a disconnect here.
Pentax is obviously not giving you everything you need.
Being a stubborn die-hard Pentaxian is fine (I am one), but ignoring other brands which already provide something you perceive a need for, while holding out for some mythical Pentax mirrorless, is cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Get a Sony mirrorless full frame body and enjoy your adapted lenses. Life is too short.

Fortunately for me, the only projector lens I have is a 70mm (iMax) cinema lens, and it works beautifully on my Pentax DSLR

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 02-13-2022 at 02:28 AM.