Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2022, 09:12 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New or used what do you prefer?

What does everyone like to use to purchase gear? Used or new?? Or a combination of both? What are your experiences with either good or bad, and how do you navigate the higglty pigglty world of eBay now that there are no more brick and mortar stores around??

I use a combination of both. Between my son and I, we have 3 camera bodies & 8 lenses. The bodies were bought new, and 6 of the lenses were used. I bought the 18-135 new with the K70, and the DA 35 f 2.4 was on sale new for less than the used price.

I have only been burned once when I got a HD DA 16-85 used. The first copy had the autofocus quit after two weeks! I bought it from B&H, so they exchanged it. The next copy did great for a year, then self destructed on me!! Focus quit, aperture locked up, and it would not zoom past 35mm!! That is the only bad experience I have had.

Anyone else want to share their experience or advice?

Last edited by que es tu; 02-15-2022 at 09:26 AM.
02-15-2022, 10:29 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

90% of my gear has been purchased used from the PF marketplace.
I have never been less than satisfied with the experience or the gear.
02-15-2022, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
I have only been burned once when I got a HD DA 16-85 used.
Ha, that's my only bad experience with used gear as well. Though my copy is capable of producing evenly sharp photos at all focal lengths, sometimes part of the image is horribly blurry. I've been wanting to send it in to get it fixed for a while, but haven't had the leisure to properly test, pack and send it out yet.

Otherwise most of my gear was bought used, and I've not had any other bad experience with any piece of equipment I got that way. If I buy from eBay, I make sure the pictures have good enough quality to properly judge the condition, carefully read through the text description and have a good look at the seller's reputation.

A fair number of lenses was acquired through "eBay Kleinanzeigen", a neighbourhood platform like Craigslist, most of the time in person so I could judge the things myself and perhaps refrain from buying it if it's not up to my standards.
A few were too far away to be able to look at in person, so when the price was low enough I did risk it a couple of times to send the money first and get the gear afterwards, and I've been lucky enough so far that everything worked out well that way as well.

Some on a trust basis like above, but through another forum like Pentaxforums, lucky there as well.

And I also got a fair share of gear new. The good thing about buying new is warranty, so if something is wrong with the item you can have it fixed or replaced. Another risk when buying used.

I'd say it depends on a lot of factors if I buy new or used.
First is availability. You can't get a K 50/1.2 new from a store, or a DFA 21 used. Or if do you find one, the K 50 will be absurdly expensive and the DFA 21 not cheap enough to pass on the warranty.
Secondly, the financial situation. If money was no object, you could get everything new. If you're tight on money, buying used can get you more or better gear for the same money, with some risks involved.
Thirdly a combination of timing, wants and needs. If you keep an eye on the used market regularly enough with no specific thing in mind you can find some great deals. But if you need or want something a.s.a.p., you'll have to buy new most of the time or you'll not get a great deal on used stuff.

Even when buying new you'll find better deals if you set up some price alarms and are ready to strike when opportunity presents itself.

Buying new or used, still keep some common sense, there are prices that are too good to be true, perhaps the shop is fake and you are about to be scammed if you buy. Or you could make the deal of your life. It's a consideration how many red flags you are willing to accept.
02-15-2022, 11:46 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

What does everyone like to use to purchase gear?
where ever I can get good gear as cheap as possible

QuoteQuote:
Used or new?? Or a combination of both? . . .
the K 3 III silver special edition is the only one I paid full price on and I was surprised I got one

other cameras and lenses were purchased as " special sale deals " or " experienced " from B &H, Amazon, Adorama, EBay or the forums' marketplace

I prefer the forums' marketplace for " experienced " gear

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-15-2022 at 12:55 PM.
02-15-2022, 11:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like new because of warranty, but I buy used also. I’ve bought my DSLRs new, and lenses both ways. But if a lens is currently in production it needs to be a very good price to buy used, like maybe 50% or less of the new price.
02-15-2022, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The vast majority of my gear was purchased used. Some directly from the local Pentax rep before he left the role. Some from the forum. A few items from evilbay. A few items were purchased new at dealer cost via connections. Some were bought new from B&H or Adorama. One lens (11-18) was used from Amazon. Keh and mpb and usedphotopro have all had business from me. Craigslist is where my first dslr (k100d super, 2 lens kit) came from.

I look for bargains or at least deals that are “rightly priced” based on the quality of the gear. I like pristine or mint gear mostly but used with a little wear is sometimes ok. Most of my gear is very well cared for.

I’m the same - or I should say I was the same - with audio gear until time and space pressures made listening a mostly headphone oriented effort.
02-15-2022, 12:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I forgot to say that I buy from B&H, KEH, PF Marketplace, and Used Photo Pro. I like UPP and the Marketplace the best because you see a photo of the actual product for sale and can get a better idea it’s condition.

02-15-2022, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Used when I can get it.
Have had the odd issue with older used gear, but nothing of note with anything expensive fortunately.
Main exceptions for me are:
1. K-1 - just had to have one and nothing locally (NZ) second hand at the time
2. DFA 28-105 - not available second had at time and wanted it for the K-1
3. Tamron SP 70-200. There was one being sold second hand I was thinking about but in the end got a deal on a new one for about the same price.
4. DFA 21 f2.4 Limited. Yeah I had been craving for something good and around 20mm for a long time and could not wait a few years for a second hand one. In fact I did something I have never done before and pre-ordered it! Its brilliant too!

The second hand stuff came via:
1. For NZ sales: Trademe (good online experience IMO and like it a lot more than Ebay)
2. For Overseas sales: Ebay. Typically from Japan, as shipping from USA to NZ is pretty expensive.
3. Also have one purchase via Pentax Forums market place (from Canada).

Key to buying online for me is:
1. Look hard (and several times) at descriptions and photos.
2. Ask the buyer questions on anything of doubt - don't assume!
3. From past experiences fungus & haze can be and issue with older lenses and is something to look out for. If its not stated as being clear of fungus & haze I usually ask about it and sometimes give instructions on how to inspect the lens for fungus (if seller is not sure how to tell).
02-15-2022, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Used or new?
Most of my gear has been bought used - for two reasons; one is that most of my lenses no longer are in production, the other is that it's cheaper. Even with the occasional bad experience it's less expensive than buying all new. Or at least it has been for me so far
02-15-2022, 01:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where I live there are still a few "Brick & Motor" camera stores. These have been a great source for new, new old stock or used Pentax items. Buying used gear from these local stores is a breeze, as you get a 30 - 60 day return policy.

Also there are no shipping costs and all used gear they sell goes through a local police check, to make sure they were not stolen.

The rest of my used gear is mostly from either the Pentax Forum, eBay or KEH. I've also bought a few items on my local Craigslist, turns out a few sellers were PF members which was a nice surprise.

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 02-15-2022 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Typo
02-15-2022, 01:30 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would say most of my items have been bought used, primarily from Pentax Forum's Marketplace, which I truly appreciate because the sellers have always been so reliable (there was one notable exception -- someone who appeared once, sold one damaged lens and never returned). My first Marketplace purchase was an SMC M 50mm f1.7 that was described as "good condition" and was almost new in appearance and function.

Next up is probably KEH, as I've found their descriptions to be fairly conservative. So their Ugly seems pretty decent to me. Their Fair seems very nice, etc. I've never had an issue with KEH, but it is nice to know they stand behind their purchases, are fast, and reliable.

I've been known to find a few things on auctionBay, but often nearly by accident. If there's something interesting, I'll place a low-end bid. A little too often, even though my bid might be half or 60% of what past sales seem to be, I end up with the item. A little surprising, tbh. I've been watching for a particular lens and just "accidentally" picked it up for half the new price, box, pouch, and all.

Oh, I'll mention Robert's Camera as well. Although I haven't bought all that much from them, they seem "KEH-like" in their assessments of the gear I've purchased from them. Often, they'll have an item on eBay and accept offers $10 or $20 less than their reasonable posted price.

All my bodies have come used from Marketplace. Again, just the most reliable used source, imho. The oldest bodies (K100D, K200D) came from Refurbs from electronics clearance places (remembers all those great deals on everything back about 16 or more years ago?) As one popular online bargain hunter used to write, "Refurbs are often as good as new, because at least someone has made an attempt to assess whether they are fully functional."

Two bodies I found new were from back in the days when Pentax had clearance sales that were really bargains. The K-01 went on sale for super cheap. In pretty short fashion, so did the K-30, which was a wonderful body to use. Convenient and easy to keep around everywhere.

Edited to add: I did get a wonderful K-5iis body from Price Watch posts. Someone across the country posted that there was a K-5iis at a pawn shop in my metro area. (I still need to figure out how to search Craig's List all over the country -- dunno how they found it!?)

Anyway, I was at work and happened to see that. Jumped in my car for an early lunch, drove 20-some miles, checked it out in the store. They accepted $30 less than they had on it (battery charger wasn't correct, which I showed them), so I picked it up for half the price of a new camera with under 500 clicks on it. Wonderful camera, still.

The plastic 35mm f2.4 on it was caked in something that looked like baby food, but cleaned up good enough. I never grew attached to that lens for some reason. So, another extra big THANKS to the members of PF for their eagle-eyed sharing and kindness.

I found a 55-300mm PLM from Pentax refurbs and have been quite pleased with it. Hmmm.... what else? I'd like to buy more from Pentax directly, but their items are usually close to full price or they don't have what I want on sale or in their Refurbs at the moment. The way I look at it is that my used purchases help the sellers keep buying new stuff, so I'm boosting Pentax that way.

I only buy used cars, from 2-4 years old. Saved me thousands over the years. A new car is worth 20-30% less the moment it hits the public street. Took awhile, but I learned that lesson while still young, so no new cars in forever. A similar approach to photography makes it much more affordable to try out "the good stuff" and not end up broke.

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 02-15-2022 at 01:40 PM.
02-15-2022, 02:00 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All of my gear was purchased used, maybe 85% from the PF Marketplace, the rest off the 'bay. I've only gotten a few duds, and I was always able to resolve things with the sellers.
02-15-2022, 02:29 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I prefer the price of used

I've generally been very satisfied with what I've got. Sometimes I'll get a really good deal and find out that it's too good to be true but then I was always able to return the item once I found out it was defective or in a state that was much different than advertised. Only happened a couple of times.
02-15-2022, 02:47 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Used- from the big guys with 6 mo warranty is about as good a deal as you can get.

For sale forum here is great; online with a return option is about as good.

I've bought scores of cameras and lenses in the 65 years I've been "into" photography; and only bought one new - a K3 III.
02-15-2022, 03:52 PM   #15
Pentaxian

What does everyone like to use to purchase gear? Used or new?? Or a combination of both? What are your experiences with either good or bad, and how do you navigate the higglty pigglty world of eBay now that there are no more brick and mortar stores around??

I use a combination of both. Between my son and I, we have 3 camera bodies & 8 lenses. The bodies were bought new, and 6 of the lenses were used. I bought the 18-135 new with the K70, and the DA 35 f 2.4 was on sale new for less than the used price.

I have only been burned once when I got a HD DA 16-85 used. The first copy had the autofocus quit after two weeks! I bought it from B&H, so they exchanged it. The next copy did great for a year, then self destructed on me!! Focus quit, aperture locked up, and it would not zoom past 35mm!! That is the only bad experience I have had.

Anyone else want to share their experience or advice?
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the DA 16-85. I bought mine from KEH used in Like New Minus condition. At the time it was $250 less than a new one. Mine has been great and about the only thing I did not get vs. new was the original box. As for everything else I have a mix of lenses both new and used. I bought the high cost items such as DA* 300 used and camera bodies and less costly lenses new. My only duds were both bought new; HD DA 40 Limited which was repaired under extended warranty and a DA 17-70 SDM where the SDM motor died shortly after the warranty expired. I still have not decided on getting it fixed or not. As far as used lenses, I bought from KEH, Adorama and B&H. I have not had any issues with any of my used purchases, so I consider it a good way to get equipment.