Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2022, 05:56 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Film numbers/red windows

I have a Zeiss ikoflex TLR that requires you to use the frame numbers in the red window. I shot some foma200 and it was fine so I thought I would treat it to some delta. The numbers were illegible so I rolled it to the end and tried some Rollei rpx100. It was the same. Is it really too hard for film manufacturers to use a bold font! Now, can anyone recommend 120 film that has a nice BOLD font?

02-27-2022, 08:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Foma is by far the best at this, what I mostly use for my folders.

Ilford and Kodak is pretty terrible. Some cameras have lighter shades of red and even orange, but light leaks can happen easier there of course.

Shanghai GP3 is nice too, and a good film.

Foma 200:

City Frame-336
by Eric Auer, on Flickr

Foma 100:

City Frame-326
by Eric Auer, on Flickr
02-27-2022, 08:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There were problems with the backing paper for several years, with the print appearing on the film. There are only one or two manufacturers for this paper so a number of brands suffered from this issue. It could be that one of the things they changed was the print to prevent the ink is passed on to the film. This issue was extensively covered on Photrio but it will be looking for a needle in a hay stack to find specifics.
02-27-2022, 09:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
There were problems with the backing paper for several years, with the print appearing on the film. There are only one or two manufacturers for this paper so a number of brands suffered from this issue. It could be that one of the things they changed was the print to prevent the ink is passed on to the film. This issue was extensively covered on Photrio but it will be looking for a needle in a hay stack to find specifics.
I managed to find that thread. Interesting reading

02-27-2022, 11:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fortunately many later roll film cameras incorporate frame counters.

On my late-1950's Sawyer's Mark IV 127 TLR only frame one needs to be
lined up via the red window; after that the built-in frame counter is used.

Chris
02-28-2022, 07:40 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rollei R3 has bold markings, I think it was rolled by Efke (green paper).
I had my first R3 defective film, top part (1/2 cm) of the beginning shots was scratched and a big finger print (with emulsion removal) in the middle of the last shot...
02-28-2022, 08:29 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The toothpaste trick on the red screen helped a lot. It may take me a while to remove the paste from the corners but it is now both minty fresh and quite clear

02-28-2022, 09:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mild abrasive

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
The toothpaste trick on the red screen helped a lot. It may take me a while to remove the paste from the corners but it is now both minty fresh and quite clear

Good work. I've heard toothpaste works on scratched CDs/DVDs as well.

Chris
02-28-2022, 01:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Great tip! Who knew that was even possible on these red windows. Nice one! I will keep that in mind.