Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2022, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Product Placement? Spotted in the Wild.

The other day I went out to the mailbox to pick up the mail. The usual assortment of a bit of everything - along with the apparent new Phoenix Magazine. We don't subscribe - but it makes a guest appearance every now and then. I tossed it into the "reading room" - not thinking about it at all.

Anyway, while needing to use the "throne room", I picked up the magazine and started paging through it. I noticed this travel ad for Santa Fe, NM - and almost turned the page - but then noticed this camera around the model's neck with something of a familiar shape - with a brand that started with what appeared to be a "P" as in Pentax. Sure enough - it was a Pentax and looks like the KP with an old-style leather Spotmatic strap.

Now, I have no idea if it's an "official" product placement by Pentax - which I sort of doubt, based on past history - but who knows. It could have been the photographer, thinking that something was missing - and hung a camera around the model's neck. But, I would think that an ad campaign would have had these details thought out beforehand.

Anyway, the camera fits well into the image - both in terms of the overall layout along with the concept - visiting Santa Fe, New Mexico, picturesque location, photography, and camera.

However, if you actually go to santafe.org and scroll down to the "History & Culture", there is yet another image of the model and camera - this time the camera is not so noticeable. Clicking through - there are no additional images with the camera. So, overall 2 images for Pentax ain't bad.

Attached Images

02-27-2022, 09:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good eye! To me it looks like an old model. Maybe a ME?
02-27-2022, 09:27 PM   #3
JPT
Pentaxian

It isn't a KP. It has the old font on the prism.

It looks like an LX to me, but have they photoshopped some dials off the top?

Anyway, good to see the Pentax name out there.
02-27-2022, 09:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It looks like a film era SLR to me. The KP has a pointier pentaprism.

02-27-2022, 10:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could it be an MV/MV1?

I'm looking primarily at the prism housing.
02-27-2022, 10:22 PM - 11 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
To me it looks like an old model.
She looks quite young to me
02-27-2022, 11:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

old black model?

02-28-2022, 12:09 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

She should have tucked her shirt in - looks untidy, and we Pentaxians are noted for our pristine appearance.
02-28-2022, 05:11 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
She should have tucked her shirt in - looks untidy, and we Pentaxians are noted for our pristine appearance.
I don’t think I ever got that memo!
02-28-2022, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Based on the prism housing, my vote is for the Pentax Program A/Program Plus with black tape over the lighting window on the housing front. (LX ruled out based on strap lugs.)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-28-2022 at 12:24 PM.
03-01-2022, 06:32 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Based on the prism housing, my vote is for the Pentax Program A/Program Plus with black tape over the lighting window on the housing front. (LX ruled out based on strap lugs.)

Steve
Why would they tape that? I’ve seen older ads and shows where they taped over the manufacturer name… but that’s for reasons that at least sort of make sense.
03-01-2022, 09:37 AM   #12
Pentaxian

It's certainly an old film camera, looks like an LX but could be a P30. Certainly not a DSLR so I'd say that rules out product placement. It'll just be whatever old prop film camera the photographer has lying around for such photos.
03-01-2022, 09:56 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
It's a black MX.
03-01-2022, 10:04 AM   #14
IOO

Looking at the shape of the prism, it isn't any of the M series with manual focus.

It's also not a LX. If you remove the grip, you can fasten the strap at the top of the camera, but not with those triangular brackets used here. They are square and with black plastic that covers the top.

The prism looks like older models in the K series, or maybe from the A series. But then if it's from the A cameraes it shuold have a white window above the Pentax name.

I have the P50, and I don't see any knobs that fits with the silhouette at the right side of the camera.

Last edited by IOO; 03-01-2022 at 04:04 PM.
03-01-2022, 02:45 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It certainly looks like a Pentax MX in black, but it's missing the 'MX' logo that would be on the right side of the lens AND the depth of field preview lever. Hmmm... Otherwise it's a dead ringer.

So I looked it up, (Hello, Google Images) and it could be an MX or an ME, the only visible difference from the front is the Logo, which is missing. Actually, I thought it might be MY old MX when I noticed the notches on the prism cover! Mine had a hard life, worked great until some time in the '90s, despite actual DENTS in the prism cover and various physical evidences of abuse. I miss it.

What it the image is reversed? There isn't anything on the other side, could be left/right reversed. I guess? Already spent way too much time thinking about this! LOL

Last edited by Harry Moto; 03-01-2022 at 03:00 PM. Reason: More research, more thought about it...