Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2022, 01:58 PM - 18 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PF Member ismaelg: Guest Speaker at the Camera Club of Ottawa

On March 1, 2022, the Camera Club of Ottawa had the pleasure of hosting Pentax Forum member @ismaelg as an invited speaker, via Zoom.

In this special edition of our Club's speaker series, Ismael took us back more than a century to explore an early classic camera, the Kodak Brownie No. 2a Model B (1918) -- from his surprise find to its surprisingly good photos. He walked us through the careful restoration, opened and described its wonderful original owner's manual, and highlighted some of the details.

102 years old camera with a surprise! - PentaxForums.com

Ismael also showed examples of his other vintage cameras, including several Asahi and Pentax models, and talked about why he's so fascinated with these gems in a modern digital world. From his busy camera workbench, he selected several models that have been saved by 'Camera Rescue 9-1-1'.

In addition, he described his passion for classic automobiles. He took us on a short tour of his showroom to view exquisite images of really cool cars. Only at the end did he reveal the deception: the cars were highly-accurate scale models, photographed in a custom scale 'showroom'!

To round out the evening, Ismael presented images of his warm part of the world in Puerto Rico, which were appreciated by the Club members as we slog through the Ottawa winter.

Thanks to Ismael for his thoroughly prepared presentation, and an interesting and entertaining evening!

- Craig

Operating continuously since its founding in 1894, the Camera Club of Ottawa is one of Canada's oldest camera clubs.

03-02-2022, 02:20 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Legend! Thanks for sharing.
03-02-2022, 02:26 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

What a nice, appreciative and - I'm quite sure - warranted display of thanks, Craig

I would love to have seen Ismael's Zoom-delivered presentation. I've no doubt it was as informative and well-presented as his restoration posts here in the forums.

We're really fortunate to have some wonderful contributors and genuinely nice members here, and IMHO Ismael scores top marks in both categories. I consider him one of my special "forum friends". For anyone that hasn't followed his amazing restoration efforts, I encourage you to look up his threads in the Vintage Cameras and Equipment forum. They make for excellent reading
03-02-2022, 02:28 PM - 10 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thank you Craig!
It was a real honor to share my humble work with you and the other members of the Camera Club of Ottawa.
It was a lot of fun!

Cheers,
Ismael

03-02-2022, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done Ismael!
03-02-2022, 08:57 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
It was a real honor to share my humble work with you and the other members of the Camera Club of Ottawa.
Talented and modest ............an extremely rare mix these days. Very well done Ismael.

And thanks to Craig for letting us know.
03-03-2022, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
On March 1, 2022, the Camera Club of Ottawa had the pleasure of hosting Pentax Forum member @ismaelg as an invited speaker, via Zoom.. . .
Oh, to have been a fly on the wall

Too bad I missed it

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-03-2022 at 06:52 AM.
03-03-2022, 09:29 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I read many, if not all those restoration threads. They have both history, and restoration insights. Sounds cool. Is it on youtube?
03-03-2022, 09:35 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Sounds cool. Is it on youtube?
Sorry, no.

Our Club has a Facebook private group, but we live stream only our photo competitions.

- Craig