Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2022, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #76
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There are 106,000 threads in the Post Your Photos forum, no gear topic comes close to that!

03-09-2022, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #77
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
It seems to me that there are three main categories of posts, not just two. Pictures, gear and discussion.
There are also a lot of threads that deal with technique too, say lighting, composition, color management, or DOF where gear is tangential and discussion tends to be "on-topic".

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-09-2022 at 07:05 PM.
03-10-2022, 01:42 AM - 7 Likes   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Given that this is a gear oriented forum, there is a tendency when someone asks a question that's really about pure photographic technique for them to get replies that boil down to: "Buy this bit of gear." But they'll also usually get some wiser members replying: "Learn how best to use the gear you've already got."

There's plenty of actual photography being posted on the forum too though, even if sometimes the best of it is in threads that have a gear specific title of one sort another.

Personally I've got almost zero interest in gear, because I think of photography as being about colour and light and subject and. . . (whisper it). . . meaning. And since gear obsession is mostly about sharpness and resolution, it's just not something that bothers me. In fact, in terms of the things that I think really matter, my photos come out looking pretty much the same no matter what gear I use -- DSLR, film SLR, digital compact, whatever.
03-10-2022, 06:28 PM - 3 Likes   #79
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For any beginners actually concerned about picture taking, here's a chance for me to plug my series of weekly newbies tutorials at:

Troubleshooting and Beginner Help - PentaxForums.com

Up to Number Twelve, now, silhouettes in this case. Come for the recycled gags, stay for the info!