Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2022, 04:15 PM   #1
Closed Account

Which font does Pentax use for its logo - or one that is close to it?

This is the only info I could find, but didn't read any specific font in the thread: Pentax Font: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Was going to print the Pentax logo and use it with my lens ball...

By the way, I'm hosting a "Lens Ball" challenge on another website. I'd be honored if any of you, that own a lens ball, would enter the challenge. Also, there is still time to order a lens ball if you desire to make a submission - as the submissions start March 21st. Two links below have plenty of information.

Link one: Thread announcing the challenge and resources about lens ball photography and where to get a lens ball for a good price:
Lens Ball Photography Challenge coming soon: Challenge Discussions Forum: Digital Photography Review

Link two: The actual photo challenge:
Lens Ball Challenge : Digital Photography Review

Regards,

Michael

Addendum: Here is a 5 minute video about Lens Ball photography to wet your appetite:

03-14-2022, 05:22 PM   #2

I don't think it is a complete font, but rather a trade-marked logo. At least I don't recall the same style lettering used for anything but the word "PENTAX" Since it is trade-marked you should take that into consideration before reproducing it and placing it on items.

The "Minolta" brand similarly was a logo although fans created a "Minolta font" based on the earlier pre-mid 80s logo.
03-14-2022, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rather than just list a number of links - here is the google search results for Pentax Logo Specifications. There are a number of sources, with downloadable media.
03-15-2022, 02:29 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,
You might check this out, current and former logo’s.
graywz User Profile | DeviantArt

I hope posting this is okay? If not, please delete it.

03-15-2022, 05:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As an owner of many Pentax film and digital cameras I have noticed that the PENTAX logo on camera's has become invariably bigger and bolder on each new model and with an aggressive white paint that is almost luminous. So Pentax is really desperate to make themselves visible with gear that is shouting at you all day long.
I whish Pentax could keep their cameras a bit more understated, so I did some modifications myself on most of my digital cameras by painting the PENTAX logo matte black. On the K3-III I have painted out the type and SR sign, and the PENTAX logo will become light gray as can be found on some film camera's.
03-15-2022, 07:55 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
There are various web sites which let you upload an image with some letters in it, and they will (try to) find the equivalent font. Here are a couple to try:

WhatTheFont! « MyFonts

Font Finder ? by What Font Is

I've had modest success with these.
03-16-2022, 11:14 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the challenge link, more incentive to use my own LensBall.

03-16-2022, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #8
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
There are various web sites which let you upload an image with some letters in it, and they will (try to) find the equivalent font. Here are a couple to try:

WhatTheFont! « MyFonts

That is a very unique idea. Thanks so much.

Just FYI to folks. I was merely trying to do a better job with my lens ball sample image, this time by placing the lens ball on top of the paper that has Pentax printed very small...
See my sample image of my crystal ball and the Pentax printed out: Crystal Ball/Lens Ball sample image : Digital Photography Review

---------- Post added 03-16-22 at 01:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Thanks for the challenge link, more incentive to use my own LensBall.
Yes, it's time once again for folks to play with their balls... I know, since hosting this, I've been playing with mine a *LOT* lately !

---------- Post added 03-16-22 at 02:05 PM ----------

Addendum: In the link to the other photo website, in my first post here, it is suggested the font is similar to:
'Imago Bold', and 'Fago ex. Black'. Anyone have a suggestion as to what Imago or Fago font(s) are similar to?

However, I can't find either of those fonts in my LibreOffice Writer program on my Linux box....
I believe I'll try the 2 websites that AstroDave suggested, in this thread, now....

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 03-16-2022 at 02:06 PM.
03-16-2022, 02:28 PM   #9
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote

WhatTheFont! « MyFonts

I used a photo of my users manual & your websites came up with some excellent matches! Users can use my image below to try it for themselves....
03-16-2022, 05:13 PM   #10
Closed Account

Original Poster
I re-took the sample photo for my challenge. Perhaps some of you will appreciate the title of it:
Pentax Is Doomed! *or* The Future Is Clear ! : Digital Photography Review