03-17-2022, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just got an email from Flickr.com: changes possible to free accounts

FYI

changes coming which may affect those who have free accounts on Flickr.com -

QuoteQuote:
. . . Today we’re announcing some upcoming changes to our Terms of Service that will help us continue to preserve the art, expression, history, stories, and memories of all Flickr members for the next hundred years. These changes fall into two distinct buckets, and will affect Flickr free members. The first change relates to restricted and moderate content. (You might call it NSFW, or explicit, or other terms, but we’ve gone ahead and defined them for Flickr here.)

[ https://www.flickrhelp.com/hc/en-us/articles/4404064374164-Set-the-Safety-Le...ent-or-Account ]

Photographers have long faced bans and deletion from nearly every online photography community for creating or sharing the “wrong” type of art. We’re rolling out changes to Flickr that welcome all photographers to discover, share, and interact with photography, period. Photographers who craft and create work that might be considered risqué by some will have a safe place online to interact with one another, share mutual interests, and put their art into the world without the fear of it being removed or them being banned entirely from the communities they love.

. . . But we’ve been lax in truly defining a space for these photographers, until now. To support these creators, and ensure that their communities continue to thrive, the ability to share restricted and moderate content will be reserved for Flickr Pro members.

This ensures all Flickr photographers, free and Pro, will have access to spaces filled with the kinds of content they want to engage with. Refining and streamlining our moderation practices means safer spaces for everyone, no matter what kinds of photos you want to see.

The second change relates to non-public photo limits. Flickr is all about sharing photos, giving feedback, finding inspiration, and connecting with your fellow photographers. It’s a lot harder to do any of that with non-public photos. With that in mind, we’re limiting free accounts to 50 non-public photos (e.g. photos marked as private, friends, family, or friends and family. Read more about privacy settings on Flickr here).

[ https://www.flickrhelp.com/hc/en-us/articles/4404078163732-Change-your-privacy-settings ]

We love being entrusted with your photos—but we love seeing them get discovered, added to groups, and submitted to photo competitions even more. We’d never turn you away if you just want a safe place to store a lifetime’s worth of images, you’ll just need a Pro membership to do so.

The above changes mean that for free accounts, photos over the 50 non-public photo limit or any moderate or restricted photos will be at risk of deletion.
. . .

This decision to place a limit on non-public, moderate, and restricted photos allows us to preserve and encourage the inspiring public photos free members contribute to Flickr, while also freeing up resources to focus on making our Pro communities stronger than ever.

If these upcoming changes will affect you, we encourage you to subscribe to Flickr Pro! It’s the easiest and least expensive way to ensure every one of your photos will have a home on Flickr. . ..

As we begin to roll out these changes officially, we’ll be communicating directly with free account holders who are affected, including sharing timelines, details, and resources to make sure your account stays in good standing.
As always, thank you for being a part of the world’s greatest photo community.
https://blog.flickr.net/en/2022/03/17/flickr-forever-2022/?utm_campaign=flic...t=announcement

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-17-2022 at 10:24 AM.
03-17-2022, 11:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
FYI

changes coming which may affect those who have free accounts on Flickr.com -

https://blog.flickr.net/en/2022/03/17/flickr-forever-2022/?utm_campaign=flic...t=announcement
That's interesting. I am not sure I will recall it. I have some family photos on Flickr, but it is not my Facebook page and I generally do not share photos of my family on it. I do not have a professional membership to Flickr. I like Flickr, alot. Maybe someday I will buy a professional membership, but now, the cost > benefit.
03-18-2022, 03:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I really only use flikr to share photos for forum posts. So this doesn't really impact me.

For sharing albums I usually use Google photos.
03-18-2022, 05:17 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I'm certainly not a professional photographer

nor do I post " non public " or " nsfw " photos to flickr

but I have so many photos posted to flickr they call me a pro and I pay their fee

I'm not suggesting the use of Flickr

just passing on information on to those of us who do use Flickr

03-18-2022, 07:06 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

In a nutshell: If you have more than 1000 images posted to Flickr, buy a pro membership or you may have photos deleted to bring yourself down to the 1000 image limit, though they say they have never enforced that rule, and if you want to post noodz or work that may offend the cat lovers, buy a pro membership.
I have no problem with this. If you are using them for cheap image storage, it's only fair if you have to pay for the privilege beyond a certain point, and if you are going to post work that may offend the small minded out there, it's going to eat up Flickr resources dealing with the complaints, so again, it's only fair that you pay a bit to cover their costs.

Overall, they provide a lot for nothing, and somewhat more for not very much.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 03-18-2022 at 08:47 AM.