Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
03-18-2022, 05:47 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New "evidence" video of 21 FA Ltd

There is new Evidence video of 21mm FA Limited, with Takashi Shikano. Very good one, why Pentax/Ricoh Europe and USA cannot create such engaging videos and give us some stiff, read from the prompter stuff.

03-18-2022, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Great movie IMHO. Nice to see a professional sharing candidly his experience and his feelings.
03-18-2022, 07:15 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Takashi Shikano has done a Pentax video before right? Photographing some old men working bamboo? Or am I mixing things up a quick search didn't reveal anything.

Anyway his photos are very nice. Not the over processed fare of some of the others Pentax use. Video was overcooked though. Would have loved to hear more about the DA21, DFA21 differences but I understand that it may be difficult in a pure advertising setting. The size of the DFA21 looks well judged, doesn't look crazy even on apsc.

edit:
Found the other video

03-18-2022, 08:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I had a 43 Limited in 1999 and used it with my PZ-1p's. It was an amazing lens and made great images. It only took Pentax 20 years to explain what the idea behind creating the Limiteds was all about... Gotta love those guys.
Actually, it was known in 1997 when I bought mine. I believe I posted it on the PDML list. But marketing was lacking....

03-18-2022, 09:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
As if Pentax was ever the speedy guy. Ricoh takes its time, there is lots to lose with being too fast and missing target customers. They have something to sell now, they can trickle new gear on slow pace. And with K-3/3 new FF will be just a vanity object, technicaly it is needed by very small minority.

---------- Post added 03-18-22 at 09:27 AM ----------

pretty girls were an attraction not a distraction
You don't look THAT old on YT
03-18-2022, 12:09 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a 43 Limited in 1999 and used it with my PZ-1p's. It was an amazing lens and made great images. It only took Pentax 20 years to explain what the idea behind creating the Limiteds was all about... Gotta love those guys.
That's funny. Over on the PDML, we were talking about Pentax's philosophy behind the Limited lenses back in 1997.
03-18-2022, 02:10 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I feel like it's un-officially "game-over" for Pentax.

Steve

03-18-2022, 03:46 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are rumors about the 70-300 so that would certainly be another Pentax designed lens. I think a 35 mm f1.4 will likely show itself next year too.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 03-19-2022 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Removing quoted post.
03-18-2022, 04:56 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I have been resisting mounting the DFA 21 Limited on my K3iii, using it instead only on the K1. But this video inspires me to give it a whirl. I agree that it would be perfectly suited to those narrow Japanese streets, and also about the lens's gentle rendering.
03-18-2022, 06:51 PM - 4 Likes   #10
JPT
Pentaxian

Seriously, though, it shows that they are really just targeting the Japanese market. But they are doing a much better job of it.
When you look at their brand philosophy statement, this marketing is spot on. It's about deriving pleasure from the process of photography, telling a story and focusing on the qualities of photo gear that are not easily quantifiable.

Obviously, it is produced in Japan and aimed at Japanese consumers primarily, but at least they put real subtitles on it. Those are not generated by Youtube. I have to get things translated at work sometimes, and you would not believe how much it costs and the garbage that comes back. People complain about the quality/amount of Pentax's English material, but I can see they must spend quite a bit on translation and they are not using the bottom-rank vendors for it. It would be easier if they had more non-Japanese staff to check the material in-house, but I don't think they have that capacity these days. So actually, I do think they are targeting the international market with this material to some extent.

The fact that a "K-1 III" has not been released according to someone's sense of urgency means others should not consider investing in lenses?

The latest investor material you are referring to says nothing new and just reiterates what Ricoh said before in announcements - They are changing the way they build cameras (as long as we get our cameras, who cares how they build them), they are changing the way they sell and market in Japan (Japanese customers will notice changes), it won't make any significant difference to how you buy cameras in other markets (because they mostly sell online anyway).

Anyway, all this talk of 21mm on APS-C makes me want to go out with just my K-3 III and the SMC DA 21mm f3.2 Limited.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 03-19-2022 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Quote from a deleted post removed
03-19-2022, 01:55 AM - 4 Likes   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer:
there isn't even a rumored new Pentax FF body, I feel like it's un-officially "game-over" for Pentax
Despite their sombre, melancholic songwriting, I always found The Smiths to be a rather enjoyable band. I've been looking through their excellent back-catalogue, and a startling number of the songs could have been written with you and your thoughts on Pentax in mind!

"The Boy with the Thorn in His Side"
"Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now"
"I Know It's Over"
"I Want the One I Can't Have"
"Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want"
"Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before" (regarding your negative posts... and yes - please stop)
"That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" (as above... and frankly, it never was)
"There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" (Pentax)
"These Things Take Time" (you'll get your K-1III eventually)
"What Difference Does It Make" (your negativity and the K-1III's release date)
"You've Got Everything Now" (just look at your lens arsenal !!)

[I chose to exclude "Bigmouth Strikes Again", as that would have been unnecessarily harsh ]

Perhaps you should express your on-going Pentax negativity through the medium of song... you know, give Morrissey a run for his money? You could turn all that emotion into something fellow members might value and enjoy...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-19-2022 at 04:39 AM. Reason: removed quoted post
03-19-2022, 04:33 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Closed Account

Just to let you know

Some of you good folk have needed your post edited by me to remove quotes from a post that no longer exists.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused.
03-19-2022, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Some of you good folk have needed your post edited by me to remove quotes from a post that no longer exists.

I added a very small quote to the beginning of my post, Pete - as retained in some others in the thread - just to for context. I hope that's OK - if not, please feel free to delete my post altogether
03-19-2022, 04:45 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote

And another by me. So another apology is humbly offered.

We have a zero tolerance for brand bashing here. Especially if the brand in question happens to be Pentax
03-19-2022, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #15
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I added a very small quote to the beginning of my post, Pete - as retained in some others in the thread - just to for context. I hope that's OK - if not, please feel free to delete my post altogether
Not at all, Mike, as I wasn't as clear as I should've been.
I left some partial quotes in place, and should have stated that they were OK for each member to put into the fully edited posts.
Had I left a partial quote in your post, it would have been my interpretation of your thoughts..............if that makes sense.