Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2022, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Lens Ball Challenge

I am hosting a Lens Ball Challenge on another website. I'm somewhat hesitant to advertise my challenge on this website, as I don't want to drive traffic away from this website or take away from the excellent challenges hosted on this site. My primary reason for advertising my challenge is that I think there may be a low turnout for submissions as I don't think many people own a lens ball, so I need some entries to help it out. Moderators, please feel free to remove this post if you find this to be out of bounds.

I don't receive any monetary compensation for the challenges I've hosted & there are no prizes for those that place. I've hosted over 220 challenges on this other website - I'm just saying that so that you know I've never "pushed" or advertised any of my other challenges here. I host 2 types of challenges there - Macro Challenges and Specific Equipment Challenges. This one falls into the Specific Equipment category as a lens ball is a pretty specific type of photographic equipment. So it is a very rare occurrence for me to seek out submissions on other websites. Interestingly also, I have only owned a Pentax camera during this entire run of being a challenge host for all these challenges (big smiles!)...

I would be honored if any of you, that own a lens ball, would submit an entry (2 entries are allowed). There are 100 slots available. If for some odd occurrence that the 100 slots fill up, I will increase the number of available slots (by just a few & upon request also).

With all that said, here is the link to the challenge. I hope some of you will appreciate my sample photo (big smiles!)...

Link to the Lens Ball Challenge: https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=15508

And, information about the challenge such as info about lens ball photography can be found at my post at:
Lens Ball Photography Challenge coming soon: Challenge Discussions Forum: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 03-21-2022 at 12:42 AM.
03-21-2022, 05:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Iím afraid I donít own a lens ball. Sounds like a fun challenge.
03-21-2022, 08:26 AM   #3

I don't own a lens ball either, but I found a water droplet instead:

KAYAKING DESTINATIONS + RANDOM IMAGE GALLERY | kayakfari ( kayak .. far .. i )
03-21-2022, 10:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well Clackers had a beginners tip section on using them so there may be some people who got one to play with recently.

03-21-2022, 08:20 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I’m afraid I don’t own a lens ball. Sounds like a fun challenge.
Well, there *may* be time enough to order one and get a submission in - especially if you order from Amazon (and Amazon has quite a selection of lens balls crystal balls) to choose from.

I ordered this one, which comes with a cool wooden stand. It's also the exact size of what is recommended, for beginners or even the more experienced. At 80 cm it's just large enough for good images and just small enough to be portable.

This ball doubles as a crystal ball, so while you're not shooting using it as a lens ball, you can conjure up future events (smiles!)

amazon.com: Amlong Crystal 3 inch (80mm) Clear Crystal Ball with Redwood Lion Resin Stand and Gift Box for Decorative Ball, Lensball Photography, Gazing Divination or Feng Shui, and Fortune Telling Ball : Home & Kitchen?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I was able to conjure up this image and be lucky enough to photograph it. It's very clear what the future holds:

---------- Post added 03-21-22 at 08:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kayakfari Quote
I don't own a lens ball either, but I found a water droplet instead:

KAYAKING DESTINATIONS + RANDOM IMAGE GALLERY | kayakfari ( kayak .. far .. i )

Very creative! Thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Michael