Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2022, 01:03 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Mr. Eisenstaedt ...said he learned a lot about available light techniques...by going to Art Museums in Europe when he was young, and just looking and learning about working with available lighting....from the work of famous European masters. Good advice...why not learn from examining what true experts use.
Great advice. Indeed, so-called "Rembrandt Lighting" is still rightly popular, and evident in much portrait photography even today. It's a great "first base" in portrait lighting setups, with just one flash (ideally, if you have one, a reflector too)... We have much to thank ol' Rembrandt for... though he might have been kind enough to give shutter speed, aperture, subject distance and flash guide number - you know, just to make life a little easier for us?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-26-2022 at 02:17 PM.
03-26-2022, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have rarely bought books by photographers, but one that I did was by famed professional photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt. Unfortunately I bought the book back in the '70's and cannot recall the name of it, and then....misplaced some years ago.
Could it be one of these? Alfred Eisenstaedt - AbeBooks
03-26-2022, 08:16 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Great advice. Indeed, so-called "Rembrandt Lighting" is still rightly popular, and evident in much portrait photography even today. It's a great "first base" in portrait lighting setups, with just one flash (ideally, if you have one, a reflector too)... We have much to thank ol' Rembrandt for... though he might have been kind enough to give shutter speed, aperture, subject distance and flash guide number - you know, just to make life a little easier for us?
My thoughts exactly ! It would of been so much help if Rembrandt had also provided shutter speed, aperture, subject distance.etc.
03-26-2022, 08:19 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeStnly Quote
Could it be one of these? Alfred Eisenstaedt - AbeBooks
I looked at the same lists before, couldn't find it. Unfortunately my outside book cover had been damaged, and tossed sometime in the '70's.....so I just recall the plain book...which was blue on the book spine and red on cover....which of course doesn't help...as the books displayed, all have the outside book covers

03-26-2022, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #35
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
If anyone has other films to suggest, please do, as I really enjoy watching these videos about photographers.
I have compiled a list of YouTube videos about specific photographers on my web site that you might find useful:

https://jayarichardson.com/videos

Scroll down a bit past the "GENERAL PHOTOGRAPHY CHANNELS" section to the part labelled "SPECIFIC PHOTOGRAPHERS AND THEIR WORK". There you'll find a list of nearly 200 photographers that have had videos made about them (many of the photographers have multiple videos listed).

The quality varies quite a bit, of course, but I have watched each of these videos, and I don't list a video unless I find something of interest in it. I'm continuing to add to this list on a regular basis.