Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 54 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2022, 02:27 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Leica’s New Camera Puts Skill Back Into Focus Shooting with Leica’s M11 digital range

Leica?s New M11 Digital Rangefinder Puts Skill Back Into Focus | WIRED

So now the Pentax philosophy is cool again?

"This is because the M11 shows that the engineers at Leica are trying to keep something alive, something that I think the rest of the camera world has forgotten: that the camera doesn't matter, but rather the photographs matter. The camera is just a tool, and any tool is only as good as the person using it."

03-25-2022, 02:34 PM - 6 Likes   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
"This is because the M11 shows that the engineers at Leica are trying to keep something alive, something that I think the rest of the camera world has forgotten: that the camera doesn't matter, but rather the photographs matter. The camera is just a tool, and any tool is only as good as the person using it."
LOL Yeah, the camera is just a $9K tool...
03-25-2022, 02:48 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Leica is never underpriced. It does have plenty under the hood though. 60MP triple resolution tech whatever that means. 64gig internal memory, native ISO 64 It can make the kessel run in 12 parsecs. She's got it where it counts, (if you have the ability)
03-25-2022, 02:51 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
LOL Yeah, the camera is just a $9K tool...
I still want one.

Even better would be something similar, only as a digital equivalent to my Ricoh XR-2s but with maybe a few more options for auto-exposure/metering.

Steve

03-25-2022, 03:03 PM   #5
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
60MP triple resolution tech whatever that means.
I wonder if that actually means 60mp or is something like a pixel shifted 18mp?
03-25-2022, 03:11 PM   #6
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And for all that hype about back to basics it is just good old manual focus with all the other stuff the usual modern auto this an that.
03-25-2022, 03:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The article says it takes skill to use. I have an old M9 and the only thing hard about it is the manual focus when it comes to needing to take your pictures quickly (eg moving subjects toward/away). Otherwise, it has a builtin lightmeter and a LCD screen for chimping your shots plus histogram which is a piece of cake to use compared to the kind of film cameras I actively shoot. The M11, with its modern CMOS sensor, looks like it will go well beyond the 'goldilocks zone' of ISO/exposures compared to the CCD sensor in my M9 though.

03-25-2022, 04:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
And for all that hype about back to basics it is just good old manual focus with all the other stuff the usual modern auto this an that.
Everything old is new again. Still, everything is new for people who have no experience.

It’s the philosophy that’s important. Leica (Pentax, for that matter, in their own way) doesn’t have to invent a heritage to pin that philosophy to. Nonetheless, there are some cameras in their range that do have the usual modern this and that. It’s the barrier to entry that keeps most folk away. I’m quite content with my old IIIf, if I want the full manual experience (my old Spotmatic F has full aperture metering for the occasions when I want some new-fangled experience in an old camera ).
03-25-2022, 05:31 PM - 5 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The article is a paid endorsement, the affiliate link in the first paragraph couldn't be more conspicuous. The author was paid to have links placed in the article - the bulk of which is mostly ghost written by someone in a PR company on Leica's payroll.
03-25-2022, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

That's the same line of thinking that better cameras necessarily make better photos. Except with skill instead of tech, in the sense of the ability to manipulate things like focus. Photography seen as an athletic event.
03-25-2022, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You must have this camera to make a good photo, the only camera that takes skill to use.
03-26-2022, 12:09 AM   #12
Pentaxian

My initial impression of the article was that it read like an ad telling its audience 'Don't be a phony musician! Keep it about the music, man. Buy a FENDER® guitar!'

But, there was one part of the article that kept my interest, it's quoted below:

"The Leica comes from a time before picture-taking had morphed into a means for social approval, a time when photography was about narrative, drama, and tension."

Do you fine folks believe this to be true?
Was there a time when photographers would get together and share their work without any sense of social approval being involved? Or, is this an imagined past?

My knee jerk reaction was to think of the Leica brand as a symbol of conspicuous consumption. I cannot recall a time in my life when Leicas weren't a status symbol.
03-26-2022, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the hilarity of it is just overwhelming.

been practising that since the day i used my very first SLR (borrowed from an uncle back then since i didnt have the funds to get one at that age).

And, that was a Nikon FM2 to boot.
Fully Manual.
Nothing fanciful.
Plain good old centre weighted metering.

Took Leica such eons to get that?

hahahahahaha.
This is as hilarious as it is (somewhat) nonsensical.
03-26-2022, 01:10 AM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
the hilarity of it is just overwhelming.

been practising that since the day i used my very first SLR (borrowed from an uncle back then since i didnt have the funds to get one at that age).

And, that was a Nikon FM2 to boot.
Fully Manual.
Nothing fanciful.
Plain good old centre weighted metering.

Took Leica such eons to get that?
Leica knows this as well as any of us. It's just using a well-proven marketing technique - appealing to our sense of nostalgia for what we think (accurately or otherwise) were simpler times. The amusing part for me is that they're selling that concept with a $9K camera...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-26-2022 at 01:28 AM.
03-26-2022, 01:26 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Despite the expressed scepticism, it’s a genuine 60 megapickle sensor and fits in your hand like every other M Leica, but price apart that’s why it’s not for me. I didn’t like the handling/UX of the M8 someone let me try some years ago: much prefer the sculpted grip of my crusty old K7 and its viewfinder.

One thing would be rather nice - the compact glass. A set of M glass is decidedly more compact than my zooms for packing around. And it’s rather good glass too … .