Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 54 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2022, 03:51 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I could not disagree more with the article.

First of all you it takes a good photographer to take a good picture. Second the said photographer needs a tool that supports him in taking the pictures his way.
What the author says is, that he is not able to take pictures if he is no supported by the cameras features. Could anyone give a more miserable statement?

03-26-2022, 04:02 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
A set of M glass is decidedly more compact than my zooms for packing around. And it’s rather good glass too
Most brand new Leica M lenses cost more than three of the DA limited lenses combined.
03-26-2022, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
My initial impression of the article was that it read like an ad telling its audience 'Don't be a phony musician! Keep it about the music, man. Buy a FENDER® guitar!'

But, there was one part of the article that kept my interest, it's quoted below:

"The Leica comes from a time before picture-taking had morphed into a means for social approval, a time when photography was about narrative, drama, and tension."

Do you fine folks believe this to be true?
Was there a time when photographers would get together and share their work without any sense of social approval being involved? Or, is this an imagined past?

My knee jerk reaction was to think of the Leica brand as a symbol of conspicuous consumption. I cannot recall a time in my life when Leicas weren't a status symbol.
Couldn't agree more. It's just a different campaign this time. It comes with a new model, ok, reasonable choice. That's all. Skill has been the No1 parameter of photographic quality ever since cameras were made. Composition, color, theme, form, were all there, before camera making. You never needed a Leica to make art. You don't now. Shoot with pentax.
03-26-2022, 04:21 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I still want one.

Even better would be something similar, only as a digital equivalent to my Ricoh XR-2s but with maybe a few more options for auto-exposure/metering.

Steve
Ricoh/Pentax already does that. Just put any K series lens on a K1.and you are full manual, put a KA series lens in Av mode, and you have exactly what the XR2s does. (Ok you need to add the winder to get 2 fps shooting on the XR2s)

03-26-2022, 05:35 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To me, the article seems to be somewhat random, and it's hard to understand its point.

"Shooting with Leica’s M11 digital rangefinder underscores how technology has all but removed human ability from the process of taking a picture."

"... These algorithms turn the act of producing a great image into something that’s no longer a challenge you must rise to or adapt to, but a series of options you can choose between."

"It's a camera from a different time, when what mattered was the image."

What's the theme here? With the Leica, all that matters is the image? With other cameras, the image doesn't matter?

With any camera, a photographer's skill and engagement are critically important, and for most photographers, 'the image' matters. Consider the selection of a subject; the planning of a photo outing or trip; appreciation for the light; choosing the lens; composing the scene; selecting the aperture and other basic settings; and waiting for the right moment -- factors that are largely separate from the design of the camera itself.

At my camera club, our image 'competitions' are all about 'the image'. Excellent images come from phone cameras, film cameras, point-and-shoots, DSLRs, mirrorless, the latest hi-tech wizardry, and, I suppose, the occasional Leica. We don't discuss gear much.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-26-2022 at 05:42 AM.
03-26-2022, 06:16 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
With the Leica, all that matters is the image?
Specifically the image the red dot brand presents to the world as being the best camera maker. But take in the opinion of the die hard followers: Leicaphiles, who want Leica to kill off everything that isn't M mount for no other reason other than it isn't M mount.
03-26-2022, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

9K for a camera with no auto focus. For that I will just switch my camera to MF. With my eyesight that is a big no go. When I shoot real estate and have time to use LV with focus peaking then manual focus is ok. I also use it when I shoot macro. When shooting with the OVF (which I hands down prefer), I use AF. I basically only use AF unless I have to use MF. With my age, the eyesight is poor enough my keeper rate without AF would be very depressing.

03-26-2022, 08:09 AM - 10 Likes   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
9K for a camera with no auto focus. For that I will just switch my camera to MF
Indeed... just switch to manual focus; but, for the full Leica experience (including elevated social status), contact me for competitive pricing on the below upgrade kits. Compatible with all Pentax and Ricoh cameras, and easy to install !!

03-26-2022, 08:34 AM - 4 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
contact me for competitive pricing on the below upgrade kits. Compatible with all Pentax and Ricoh cameras, and easy to install !!
I might be interested in this product.

Q1. Would one sheet be sufficient for my K-3 III, or should I buy the multi-sheet pack?

Q2.Are they reusable?

Q3. If I treat both of my cameras, how would I tell them apart?

Q4. I would be concerned that my photo buddies will point and laugh at me. Do you offer counseling?

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-26-2022 at 08:39 AM.
03-26-2022, 08:34 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I have an old M9.
If you call M9 old, I start to feel very old.
M still sells, good for Leica. Do you need more skill to use an M11 or a K1? It all depends. M11 or any Leica is not the default professional camera today, so marketing comes up with interesting wording.
Nikon owns the claim from the F4 commercial: large, heavy, complicated, expensive.
03-26-2022, 09:49 AM - 3 Likes   #26
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I might be interested in this product.
Considerable demand is expected, Craig, especially in light of the M11's release and pricing.

Q1. Would one sheet be sufficient for my K-3 III, or should I buy the multi-sheet pack?
Each pack contains 70 miniature nano-film upgrade wafer modules, in theory allowing the upgrade of up to 70 cameras - however, accurate placement of the wafer module is essential, sometimes requiring more than one attempt, and wafer damage from multiple placement attempts is a risk. Furthermore, due to the thin-film manufacturing approach, damage may even occur when removing a module from its carrier (what you refer to as a "sheet"). As such, from each pack you may conservatively expect to upgrade approximately 30 cameras.

Q2.Are they reusable?
In practice, for the reasons stated above, unfortunately not. Although the wafer can be removed - thus reversing the modification - its delicate construction means it will almost certainly be damaged. In theory, re-use is possible - but the full Leica effect cannot be guaranteed, and a new, unused wafer module is recommended for each installation.

Q3. If I treat both of my cameras, how would I tell them apart?
I recommend fitting one camera with either a 28mm or 35mm prime lens, and the other with a 50mm. If you don't already own these, two 18-55 kit zoom lenses can be converted to primes using the lens conversion kit below (conversion is permanent and irreversible):

Q4. I would be concerned that my photo buddies will point and laugh at me. Do you offer counseling?
You'll be the one laughing when you tell them how little you paid for your upgrades - just USD $99 / GBP £99 per 70 wafer pack (add the lens conversion kit for just USD $29.99 / GBP £29.99 while stocks last)!

I hope this helps, Craig, and look forward to receiving your order forthwith

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-26-2022 at 10:29 AM.
03-26-2022, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I hope this helps, Craig, and look forward to receiving your order forthwith
Yes, thanks for the info. The price seems very reasonable to me.

I get the impression that it would be risky for me to try the upgrade at home, especially since I'd like to apply multiple wafers on each camera -- for maximum visibility and effect.

Do you offer an upgrade service, whereby I could send my cameras in?

I don't have any DA 18-55's, but I'll consider using my DA* 50-135 and DA 20-40 Limited for the prime conversion fix.

- Craig
03-26-2022, 10:38 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
If you call M9 old, I start to feel very old.
Digital camera years are like dog years. But instead of a 7:1 ratio of dog:human time scale, it's something else.
03-26-2022, 11:37 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
The camera is just a tool, and any tool is only as good as the person using it.
With regards to the camera as a tool for still image making, I would recommend 4x5" or 5x7" or 8x10" view cameras: capture tons of detail in one exposure, leaf shutter, ultra wide range of depth of field control, perspective control with shift, focus plane control with tilt, so far unmatched by any digital camera yet, except maybe view camera with digital back.
03-26-2022, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Most brand new Leica M lenses cost more than three of the DA limited lenses combined.
Yes old boy, got that. For that matter, the cost of an M11 and a single M lens would buy me a current full-frame ILC with lenses from ultrawide to half-decent telephoto in three oem zooms, plus a better tripod and head than anyone has a right to, plus a good printer for when a decent image is made. But if I had enough for an M and M glass I wouldn’t buy them because they doesn’t suit me, I don’t like the user experience. No amount of marketing fluff is going to change that.

Last edited by StiffLegged; 03-26-2022 at 01:52 PM.